• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Buy New or Used?

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
Out of curiosity, how many of you guys and gals buy new games or used games? Do you have a preference, or do you just go with whatever is cheaper (used versions, more often than not)?

And, what is your stance on buying used?

This whole Xbox One used game debacle just has me thinking. I've only ever bought one or two games used. My most recent used purchase was Dragon Age Origins when I came out for the Xbox 360, but I quickly bought the Ultimate Edition off Steam when it became available.

Mido

Version 1
I generally go for new copies of games when I buy, but I can always settle for used copies. For all my old-gen consoles, I definitely have to resort to used games for their inexpensive prices, and they can work reliably as well. For my newer consoles, I prefer newer copies.

I will say that used copies definitely have worked better with me in the long run, just because they are more cost-effective. (I once saw a Star Fox 64 "NEW" cartridge for over $120.00 on Amazon.) All in all, I usually tend to go both ways with buying new/used hardware/software.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Lately I've only bought new, because now I can only afford to buy games that I really want, and therefore I get them the first day they come out, haha. I used to buy used all the time, though, and if there's a used copy available, I'd probably get that. ...Or, yeah, whatever's cheaper, but it's almost always the used.

I don't really have a preference. I usually buy new because I generally buy games on their release dates, but if I buy a game a couple months after release because I was too busy with other games or it didn't interest me at first, then I buy it used since it's cheaper.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
When I used to go to the physical stores, I would buy used. Buying new at those times was simply stupid to me. Now, I buy my games online (such an amazing luxury I swear) and I try to buy my games new just for the manual. :)

To me, buying new at physical stores is a waste of time because it already costs gas money to get to the store (or maybe sweat if you walk), why spend the extra money for the guarantee? Besides, you get to return used games within a certain time period. New games don't afford me that luxury :I

To me, buying used online is not a healthy practice as you do NOT get to know what's in the package until it gets to your doorstep, and even then, it takes a long time for games to there.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I only buy new when the price is right. If I deem the price is too high I will either buy used or not buy at all. That is how I generally go about buying anything (movies, games, clothes, you name it). The option of second hand does two things, firstly it allows you to find something you would like at a better price (not to mention allows you to find games that are no longer produced), secondly if you were to buy something you didn't enjoy you can get some of your money back by selling it to someone else.

Without the option of second-hand I simply wouldn't be buying all that many games. Games in general are priced very high, and while I can understand that making games is very expensive, I just am not willing to hand over a large wad of cash for something where there is little guarantee I will actually enjoy. I only ever purchase full price games when they are part of franchises I am highly familiar with and love enough not to want to wait until the price drops. Same goes for movies, I don't buy full price unless I simply cannot wait.

Microsoft has lost a customer by making their new console so unfriendly in terms of used games.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Used whenever it's available. It's like renting and buying the game at the same time...I can give it back if I don't end up liking it and keep it if it's good.

Skittles

Rainbows!
I use to buy used games...then they decided to switch over to CDs/DVDs/disks and I just feel that you can't trust that the old disk you're buying isn't scratch up or ruined in some other way. They're not as...stuff as cartridges...

Though, I guess if it's a 3DS/DS game I might choose to go use, it just depends on if I'm able to find one at a reasonable price, or if shipping and handling makes the game cost as much as it would if I bought it off amazon. It matters how expensive the overall package is, not just how expensive the raw price of a commodity might be...

But heck, on the issue of Xbone, I really hate what Microsoft is doing. I can understand the whole intelligent property and copyright issues, but it just doesn't seem right to backhand their customers like that. It won't make people happy, heck, it will make them not buy that system... It's just a dumb business move...>_<

ILU

i luv u
The only games I buy brand new are Zelda, Metroid, and Resident Evil.

Used is generally best depending where you get it, even if the price isn't that much less. With GameStop, that 7-day period is perfect to purchase, beat, return, and buy another game.

There is a game store near me that doesn't have that guarantee, but they only take in high quality or rare trades. Still, you never know if it'll work..., so I get used games at GS and new ones at the mom & pop game shop near me.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I'd say about 80% of the games I buy are used... I'm pretty sure my last two new game purchases were Skyward Sword and Borderlands 2.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I'm half and half really.

I'd prefer to buy some games new, cause having the original packaging is nice and all, but in more recent years most games give you like a 2 page manual which is basically just a thing saying don't steal or game of have seizures and sue us. Remember when you had these cool little books that had a bunch of things from the game and artwork in them?

But recently I've bought more used games then I used to, but what with a gamestop closer to me then a starbucks and all that, I'm likely to just stop by there. Its kinda nice that if you're looking for a certain game, you can ask if other stores have it, and since there is too many of them in town, you'll likely find the game you want, that day.

Honestly though I just do what ever is easiest and how badly I want the game New or not / can or can't afford it.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The only used game I have at the present time is Pokemon Sapphire...
I guess you could say I only buy new, but I can't remember the last time I actually bought a game.
I think I have only bought 4 or 5 games in my life, and probably half of them were used
99% of my games get given to me as a gift (either Christmas, or my birthday, or just when people feel like being nice)
All the games that were given to me were still wrapped in the original plastic, so I assume they are new.

Din Akera

Sniper
I am not exclusive in my purchasing new or used. My general habit though are based around the amount I want the game. If it is something I really want right when it comes out (Zelda, AC, RE) then I preorder and buy it new. On the other hand if there is something that I just want to try, I almost always buy it used. However, I have bought some things in the 'I just want to try it' category new because the price was reasonable and they didn't have a used one.

I don't really have a stance on the issue. I think that if you arn't worried about DLC codes then used is a really great option. Gaming is becoming quite an expensive hobby. I can see why so many people buy used. I'm in the same boat. I think it is a very practical option. However, buying new and having a copy that is exclusively yours has some sort of magic to it for me. This is mine and I will treat it the way I like my things to be treated. To be honest I have a real dislike for the fact that the used price stickers either don't come off at all, tear when they come off, or leave residue.

As to the new console stuff about registering your games to your console, I think it is going to be a real problem. I don't know a ton about it, but it sounds like it might be more worth it to buy new. I'm not really sure the motivation for this move. I suppose it is a money thing as it always is with large companies, but I was thinking it might have to do with a piracy issue as well. I do know that it will effect the gaming market a lot. GameStops' shares dropped when it was announced.

All around I think I'll be buying new to avoid the hassle. But I might not buy as much as it is going to put a hole in my bank account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom