• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you believe in the Flat Earth theory?

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
IF THE EARTH IS FLAT, THEN EXPLAIN THIS!
attachment.php
checkmate atheists

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage

Why believe in the flat earth theory when there is so much evidence to the contrary? Besides, Hollow Earth is where it's at :cool:

xD I remember that quote!

as for the flat earth theory, how would gravity/compasses/day/night/seasons/anything that relies on the earth being round work? why would earth be the only planet to be flat? how would the earth's orbit even work?? its so dumb and doesn't make any sense unless you lived in the dark ages.

Misty

Ronin
I do sorta want to just say the following that I find about...I dunno what we'd all dub it "pro globers", is that they seem (even some in this thread) aggressively unwilling to consider or entertain the idea.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun to be above others, call them ridiculous or stupid, and dismiss their ideas out of hand. I think everyone has done this once, but it strikes me as often being an indication of a, dare I say, lacking in thought or skepticism dogmatic position?

I mean, sure, I get it, the idea is ridiculous and silly sounding, but most ideas can be if you're looking for an excuse. And most ideas before they became law, were silly and ridiculous sounding. Imagine you actually lived in the dark ages and see how the following sounds to you:

The earth is not the center of the universe <--what the **** are you, someone that cannot see the sun moving in the sky? Gaia thinks you're a ******.

It is possible to cure people using aspects of a disease <---what the **** is a cure, bring me leeches and a torch we'll soon settle this plague!

Vaccinations and Heliocentrism are all I'm describing, and if all our ancestors had scoffed, meme'd and rolled their collective eyes, we, their children, would be living with some pretty hefty issues.

****, the very people we'd all point to as proving the Earth is not flat or the center of the universe were usually mocked and scoffed at in the very same way that the majority of you are. THE only reason we don't all still believe that is not only because someone had the courage to think differently, not only because they had the courage to stand up and say so, but also because people gave them the floor and listened EVEN THOUGH IT SOUNDED RIDICULOUS TO THEM AT THE TIME.

Secondarily, think on it from their perspective, do you really think all of the people thinking this are stupid or desperate or simply ignorant? Do you really think their gut reaction when they first heard about it wasn't the same as all of you? Come on. Of course they thought it was ****tarded too. And despite that, a lot of people are embracing an idea that sounds outrageous. Aren't you in the slightest bit curious what it was that swayed them to that? It isn't as if they didn't know they'd be wearing a permanent dunce cap for it. Who puts on a permanent dunce cap over nothing and really in this quantity?

Thirdly, supposing they're as wrong as you believe, why is there such degree of either vitriol or mockery for this singular topic? You probably hear stupid things all day long, why is this one so significant that you'll hardly entertain it without mockery? That seems pretty defensive for people who have the truth on their side.

But still, I'm like, in earshot of the arguments for a lot of this, so have some return volleys for your consideration. (Please note, I don't actually buy this theory, I just find it sad people won't give it the time of day, while entertaining equally ludicrous thoughts all the time.)

1. There are no photos of the earth from space. By which I mean, every photo you think you've seen is a composite photo. Which, for those not down with the clown, is when you take lots of images and assemble them together to create one image. (Think of a puzzle.) In other words, the photos you would cite as evidence, are actually photoshopped and this isn't conspiracy, NASA themselves will say so. So everyone is still waiting for a proper picture of the Earth, including you.

2. Almost everyone who buys this particular theory, does not trust NASA or the Moon Landing so if you're arguing with those as your evidence, they have more bridges to sell you and you're only talking to your own echo chamber.

3. Few Flat Earthers claim to know exactly how the universe works. That's half their point. They don't know, they just know it doesn't work like we've been told. So if you bring up gravity, seasons, the sun, the stars, whatever, you aren't arguing with them. They know they don't know. They are only questioning that you know. Being the person who claims to know has a lot more attached burdens than claiming you don't know.

My final point: If these people are wrong, they are suffering for it in myriad ways. Anyone who doesn't help people suffering isn't a very kind person...and people who laugh at those suffering aren't very good people. I'm sure you're super smart though. Good job on that by the way. Must be difficult to be smarter than the most ludicrous, ignorant, and stupid people post-modern society can imagine. You probably had to train all day and study just to win that particular brain contest. ;)

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
why is there such degree of either vitriol or mockery for this singular topic?
I don't know, but I assume it's a positive feedback loop of spite. Flat earthers come out with theories and people mock it because we know the Earth is round, and this just makes people want to make more theories which brings more mockery until it gets a sizable amount as you see

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
My final point: If these people are wrong, they are suffering for it in myriad ways. Anyone who doesn't help people suffering isn't a very kind person...and people who laugh at those suffering aren't very good people. I'm sure you're super smart though. Good job on that by the way. Must be difficult to be smarter than the most ludicrous, ignorant, and stupid people post-modern society can imagine. You probably had to train all day and study just to win that particular brain contest. ;)

Mocking them is helping them. It's like the fat person that won't lose weight despite knowing the consequences of not doing so and despite their cost to themselves and the rest of society. Shaming is a better motivator than spewing facts at them that they will ignore. There is plenty of evidence to back up the power of shame so that's a good reason for using that method in my eyes.

The flat earthers deny currently known facts without offering a credible alternative and they refuse to accept the scientific explanations for a round earth without providing their own for a flat one.

'I just know the earth is flat' isn't a valid argument.

Last edited:

Misty

Ronin
It's like the fat person that won't lose weight despite knowing the consequences of not doing so and despite their cost to themselves and the rest of society.

And here is where you fundamentally misunderstand the view of a conspiracy theorist. They are not as the fat person, because unlike the majority of fat people, they believe they are correct and literally "woke" compared to you. Of course you are going to mock them, you are an unwoke sheeple who is threatened by the truth. You are only feeding into their worldview by doing this. It isn't bad for them because you're being a bully or mean, it's bad for them because it entrenches and enforces their worldview. It's bad for you because anyone who kicks someone beneath them is harming themselves as much as the lowly person.

Shaming is a better motivator than spewing facts at them that they will ignore.
Shaming isn't a powerful motivator for people who have already passed through this shaming from themselves, which they have.

The flat earthers deny currently known facts without offering a credible alternative and they refuse to accept the scientific explanations for a round earth without providing their own for a flat one.

They would say science doesn't show a round earth. You cannot use the science they reject to prove to them it isn't true and mockery doesn't work because it is expected and it is something they've put themselves through.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
And here is where you fundamentally misunderstand the view of a conspiracy theorist. They are not as the fat person, because unlike the majority of fat people, they believe they are correct and literally "woke" compared to you. Of course you are going to mock them, you are an unwoke sheeple who is threatened by the truth. You are only feeding into their worldview by doing this. It isn't bad for them because you're being a bully or mean, it's bad for them because it entrenches and enforces their worldview. It's bad for you because anyone who kicks someone beneath them is harming themselves as much as the lowly person.

Shaming isn't a powerful motivator for people who have already passed through this shaming from themselves, which they have.

They would say science doesn't show a round earth. You cannot use the science they reject to prove to them it isn't true and mockery doesn't work because it is expected and it is something they've put themselves through.
Then how can you get through to them?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
It took someone to think big to get us to accept a sperical Earth theory. We then realized it was true, and left the flat Earth one in the dust.

Now, we think it's thinking outside of the box to go back to a theory that is hundreds of years old?

"The Earth is flat"

"Yup"

"Hey guys, look at this! The Earth is Clearly Spherical! Look at all of this evidence!"

"Alright! Way to think outside of the box!"

Hundreds of Years Later

"Ya know what, guys? I bet the Earth is Flat."

No longer thinking outside the box. We have come out of the blue to prove that the Earth is not flat, but is in fact Spherical. It is not thinking outside the box anymore to recycle old dead theories.

There's a conspiracy theory going around that the Government plans to secretly take over Texas through old abandoned Walmarts. The believers of this theory are the ones who do not accept that we have in fact gone to the moon, and taken pictures of a spherical Earth.

I'm sorry for this rant, but I just can't believe we are still discussing this

Reactions: MW7

MW7

No. Images from space should make it obvious to anyone. For some reason disagreeing with consensus has become a virtue to some people.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
You don't. Evidence means nothing to someone who lives in their own flat world.

Even if we can't get through to them. Making them the subject of ridicule seems like a good thing. If it is supposedly intelligent people that can be affected do we want these getting in positions of power? I know America already have climate change deniers in government and greedy men that claim to be so they can burn more coal and get richer. That is only going to ruin the world further.

If people lose faith in science then we are lost.

Reactions: Aku

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
If people lose faith in science then we are lost.

Science isn't the problem, it's the people behind it. The "observe" portion of the scientific method gets a little fuzzy with the bigshot scientists. Take the atom for example:

Everyone knows it exists, sure. We've all seen the effects of it; but just that, the effects of it. Atom bomb, Nuclear Power Plants, Periodic Table of Elements, etc. We've never actually seen an atom until 2009 when IBM released images of an Hydrogen atom(I think hydrogen, I'm unfamiliar with the story). So any true scientist COULD NOT accept the atom as fact until that point, because what we seen wasn't the atom, but it was something similar to looking at a picture of a picture.

But we believe anyway, it was enough evidence to make up for not actually seeing it. We taught it in schools, expanded on it with theories, etc. Accepted it as truth.

Now, don't you think someone could use that faith to intentionally mislead the public? We have a tendency to believe whatever scientists say(I'm not saying scientists are liars) so could that open us up to being mislead?

Again, not trying to discredit science, but I feel people misunderstand it. Science is a method, scientists are ones that use it to further world understanding. Isn't there a chance of there being a few liars there? People who are there not for truth but for money and power?

Of course, there's a built it deterrent to the liars in the scientific method. Whatever way they went about to prove something must be able to be done again. Someone else has to be able to do the experiment again. Idk about you, but I don't have a strong enough microscope to see atoms or fly to the moon. So I have to take their word for it. You see where I'm going with some thing :

It's not about having faith in science, it never has been. It's about having faith in people. So the real question we're asking is, do you think you're being lied to?

Reactions: Dio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom