• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Believe in "Soulmates"?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
This term is pretty ambiguous, many can often interpret in many ways, just a connection between two on an unreachable level, an immediate connection between two people etc. Even though all the terms link into one another, I one to focus on one particular interpretation.

This would be the idea that there is a person out there that you are destined to be with, or who matches you perfectly. What are your thoughts about this? Do you believe in soulmates? If so, do you think there is one out there for you, or do you think you've already found them?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
JC said:
This would be the idea that there is a person out there that you are destined to be with, or who matches you perfectly.

Going by this definition, I think it's a little absurd to believe that someone matches someone else perfectly. It sounds more like something you'd read in a fairy tale, rather than experience in real life. That being said, I personally don't believe in soulmates. I don't believe that there's someone out there I'm destined to be with, and I'm pretty damn sure no one in this world matches me perfectly.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
This would be the idea that there is a person out there that you are destined to be with, or who matches you perfectly.

That word in bold right there, yeah, no. Destiny isn't real, just choice and action. People make choices and they decide whether or not they act on them. Destiny suggests we are being manipulated by some imaginary strings that are being pulled by a force like a bunch of mindless puppets. There are too many people in the world and ain't nobody got time to meet them all. We are compatible with a bunch of different people, but we choose to commit to just one (well, not everybody). It all comes down to who you know and who you love, but it's that commitment to one another that destroys any other possible options. Who knows, maybe your life could of been better with someone else, but we settle. Make the best with what we have. Otherwise, you're just going to spend your life exploring for endless possibilities.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I've never given this a lot of thought, but I don't really believe in soulmates in the sense that someone is perfect for you. There are many people out there who could be great with you. If soulmates was true, then you would more than likely have to travel halfway across the world to find that person with a human population as large as ours, yet people tend to end up with a friend, someone from the same town as them, or something else likely. Hardly anyone has an amazing story of how they met, and nobody has a perfect relationship with no problems because if nobody is perfect, how can two people together be perfect with no bumps in the road?
I think love depends on a lot of things.

Nicole

luke is my wife
I don't believe in destiny as you put it; as Turo nicely said, it's just choice and action. As such I don't believe in a soulmate as being someone you're destined to be with. However, I do believe in a soulmate as someone who foils you perfectly. I wouldn't say that a soulmate is someone who matches you perfectly; I think the idea of meeting someone with all your exact interests, who always agrees with you, is silly and quite frankly boring. Trite as the saying may be, opposites attract. Obviously some common ground is needed to form the foundation of any good relationship, but appreciating each other's likes and dislikes in important as well, even if you don't agree with them. For most people, I think there is someone that you can spend the rest of your life with.

I also believe in soulmates of the friend variety - a platonic, lifelong relationship, someone who you get along with and have by your side well into adulthood. Most friends made during middle school and high school are lost. Usually during college and beyond is when you make friends for life. Whether it be through having the same interests, the same job, whatever, there are always those friends that will remain with you for life.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The fact that divorce exists and in large numbers makes me doubt any legitimacy that the term "soul mate" may contain.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I believe there's someone out there for everyone, but there isn't 1 person out there for everyone. There'll always be people out there who you click with and work well with, it's just a matter of finding them, but I don't believe in any hocus pocus destiny about ending up with that person. I ended up with my boyfriend because I didn't have enough money to go on holidays with my friends, 2 weeks of my closest friends being away, hung out with him a lot, and voila. It sure as hell wasn't destiny. :P But, it worked out well!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
My innermost fantasy is to wind up with that guy, but it's simply a fantasy until made reality. That being said, I do not understand the concept of 'soulmates'. I don't believe that any two people are connected by some thread.

MW7

I think that particular definition of soulmates is too extreme and unrealistic. I do think it's fair to say that soulmates can be made in a sense. For instance after two people really get to know one another it's possible that they mutually wouldn't want to be with anyone else. There would be many potential soulmates out their for most people in my opinion. Also I think it's interesting to consider how much two people influence each other purposefully and subconsciously. Suppose you would have a great relationship with either of two people but you choose one. The influence that person has on you undoubtably forms a large part of who you become, and in retrospect it would seem impossible that you could have ended up with the other person.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Hrm...no i don't' believe so.

Thinking that only one person in the world is meant to be with you is a bit of a depressing concept, don't you think? What if that person lives miles away, or dies before you can meet them? Will destiny stop that? Is destiny going to solve all the issues that you may have in getting to this one special person?

I dunno. Maybe.

And plus, what about all the other relationships one may have that aren't that destined person. What were they? Lessons? How would you even know who your soulmate is? Its not like they wear a cardboard sign with "soulmate" written on it. That would make it a hell of a lot easier though. I should start doing that...wait, no.

Anyway, I'd like not to believe in such things. They are a bit far fetched, and bring upon more depressing questions than necessary. They do make interesting subjects for novels though. :P

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
I want to believe it, but...
Ok so if there is one person made especially for you, there is a extremely low chance of ever finding that person. I mean, you could be in Colorado, and your "soulmate" could be in Australia. Your "soulmate" could even of been in a different time period. That being said, there are plenty of people out there that can come close to it.

elliotstriforce

trollin for booty
i've never given a soulmate any thought at all, i'm sure they exist for some people out there, but for myself (currently confused as to whether or not i'm asexual (auto-sexual)) i don't see a soulmate coming my way any time soon.

Simply put. No.

I don't believe in Soul Mates. I don't think there is just ONE person out there that I could marry and have every thing turn out all honkey-dorie. I believe there are multiple people we meet during our life time that we can be content and happy with. Some are more easier to get along with then others but it still remains that there are multiple people that could create a compatible relationship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom