• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you avoid politics online?

Sheikah_Witch

passionate open autistic european female
ZD Legend
Politics are often important discussions to have. Politics concerns more or less all of us. The time and place for a political discussion to be appropriate and productive can vary. On the internet, political discussion finds it's way into a lot of corners. However, internet isn't always productive when it comes to political discussion. Often, the conversations can quickly turn unpleasant, especially on places like social media platforms such as Twitter. This causes many people to withdraw from political discussions on said platforms.

How about you? Do you engage in political discussions online or do you prefer to keep things for yourself, or discuss it IRL instead?

Giri

Peter Pan
ZD Legend
Definitely, it's the future of politics. Even though I don't have time for it right now, I definitely will be an active politician in Social media. I will take advantages of many Social medias for propaganda and create a revolution. One day......

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
ZD Champion
I like to talk about politics, but I do try to actively avoid the subject with my grandparents. I don't really bring up politics with the rest of my extended family either, but I'll still gladly talk about it with them.

It's probably a rude "dinner table conversation" among people you don't know will be comfortable with it.

I don't believe in being able to change the minds of other people about politics, because I'm of the belief that people only change their own minds. All I can do is say what I believe and explain why I believe it and treat the other person in the conversation with civility and hope they at least understand where I'm coming from. I don't like to actively avoid talking about politics because I like being exposed to new ideas and perspectives about issues.

Dio

~ ZD's Pug Dealer ~
ZD Champion
Gernment causes so many problems in the world it is impossible to avoid it and not discuss it.

Satan

chunky plant goop
Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
For the most part, I don't really like discussing politics. In my experience, it's very uncommon for a political discussion to end up being productive in any form, especially online. They're mostly just hostile. I don't mind discussing them periodically but I usually don't get involved myself, and instead just sort of listen to other people's stances so I can understand their points of view.

TheGreatCthulhu

The Great Old One, Star Spawn, Sleeper of R'lyeh
ZD Legend
The problem with discussing politics or religion is that these are spheres of discussion that are often emotionally charged, which causes people to abandon their reason and causes the discussions to devolve into pissing contests, not true discussions.

Thus, for that reason, I avoid it.

Last edited:

Mellow Ezlo

Po-Tay-Toes
The main people I really dislike discussing politics with is my dad and stepmom, though that was due to a recent change. They were both quite liberal for a long time and I enjoyed our civil chats, but now they're both a lot more conservative than me and don't really take me seriously when I talk politics with them, so I get annoyed and try to avoid bringing the topic up with them. I'm fine with being open-minded, but when their political onion is so one-sided it makes it difficult. Online though, and with friends and such, I don't mind it. My knowledge of politics is relatively lacking so I enjoy hearing other people's perspectives and gaining knowledge.

I'm not well informed on political matters so generally I will stay away from them for that reason. I have nothing of interest to add and most of the time won't fully understand the issues that are being discussed. That being said, it is interesting to see what insights people can bring to the table. Discussions can get heated moreso than discussions of most other topics so providing they don't head down this route I can enjoy reading or listening to the musings of better informed people than me on the matters.

Sometimes I avoid political discussions especially where most people in the discussion are so far set in a consensus that either my viewpoint will just be an echo or it will be so far off from that consensus as to not really provide anything constructive.

Otherwise, politics exists all around us and it's almost impossible to not engage in some form of political discourse. In fact, not engaging in any political discourse and trying to shield yourself from it, is in itself a political statement which ultimately means you side with the status quo on every topic, even where you actually do or don't.

Of course, this a conversation about politics online and not political discourse in general, so I suppose the former statement doesn't necessarily apply if you decide you wanted to only engage in politics offline.

A lot of political discussion online, and offline for that matter, is more an exercise in ritual dogma than anything else. In the post modern era increasingly virulent but impotent political ideologies have taken the place of religion in public life and so it's more about the process of going through the motions of expounding that ideology and beatifying its figureheads. The majority of the time political discussions are detached nearly entirely from reality and thus are really just a kind of verbal masturbation.

I don't really avoid politics online per se, but I don't seek it out either. I find it interesting to try to understand the origins and reasons for various political situations and the history of political movements, ideas and how they have played out over time and their role in history, but I find so much of what is called politics is essentially just a flashy distraction from the actual workings of the world and will just lead you in circles other increasingly splintered ideologies and holier-than-thou factions. So it really depends on the level of thinking about politics a person has, if they are just blindly following some flavor of the year ideology then it's pointless, but if someone is really to seriously consider not only different views, but broader implications and go below surface level stuff, then it can be productive to discuss things.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I spend a lot of time reading about current political issues but don’t often seek out political conversations with others online. While this obviously depends on the place/website I think generally online discussions about politics tend to be unproductive. Outside of fairly specific places where people are going in with an open mind to have their opinion altered or to at least consider where the other side is coming from most discussions seem to be very emotionally driven and full of ill informed people.

One place where I do step in (and this happens shockingly often) is when I see someone share something on social media that’s obviously “fake news”. Probably at least once a week I find news shared by people on my Facebook (often my grandmother sharing lies from right wing fake news pages) that’s easily found to be untrue with a simple google search. I’m not talking about spin, I’m talking about complete inaccuracy. This is either obvious satire, from a satire website, that someone has taken as actual news and posted a long rant about thinking it’s true (which I can’t believe happens so often) or its “news” that has been completely fabricated to share amongst the ill educated who don’t care to actually fact check anything that already agrees with or would support their political opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom