• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do You Approve or Disapprove Posts?

Kybyrian

If most posts on this forum were flaming or spamming, the forum would not be in existence. To dissaprove of most posts can be counted as falsely de-repping, which is an infractionable offense.

I think he meant that he disapproves of bad posts more than he approves of good posts. He feels that pointing out mistakes to people if they are flaming/spamming/etc. is important. Therefore, he makes it his task to point out mistakes to people who are posting poorly.

As for me, I do a mix of both. I see a really good post, I approve it. I see a really bad post, I disapprove it. That can be a big rep-changer, though. For all of you reading this out there, don't make bad posts. You don't want 80 reputation points taken away from you. :P

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Disaproving a post is like disaproving a person's point of view, pointless. It's their opinion and trying to change it for them stops it from being theirs. Everyone posts in a different manner, that's just how the world goes round. However, sharing your own opinion in comparison to a different post is fine aslong as it's in for the sake of creating discussion.

Abusing a person's post is harsh and just isn't right.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
No that's not true Yann. In this case it is not about an opinion but about a bad post in general. Suppose someone makes a topic with just a normal question like "how did Ganondorf turn evil" and someone else replies with a comment the poster is stupid, drunk and blind for posting that topic isn't it a bit harsh to say so? I'm sorry but if someone really attacks someone else only because of their opinion (let's say for liking TP more than OoT) I will give that person bad rep. I got two times neg rep only because those persons didn't like Alexander Semin in my siggy. This had nothing to do with my post or reply at all.
I usually give out more rep than derep people BUT if I see a very bad and poor post, a trolling post or a very bad attacking post I will derep it.

Steve

5/19/13
Disaproving a post is like disaproving a person's point of view, pointless. It's their opinion and trying to change it for them stops it from being theirs. Everyone posts in a different manner, that's just how the world goes round. However, sharing your own opinion in comparison to a different post is fine aslong as it's in for the sake of creating discussion.

Abusing a person's post is harsh and just isn't right.

That depends on the circumstance. If the debate is over a point that involves using facts, such as theorizing or Mature Discussions posts, disproving a post is crucial because it points people in the right direction, and helps them understand the importance of using evidence to back up your claim. What matters is the manner in which you disprove a post. You do not simply start flaming and listing reasons why they are wrong, rather you present the evidence in a sincere way and explain why their claim is not ideal.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
No that's not true Yann. In this case it is not about an opinion but about a bad post in general. Suppose someone makes a topic with just a normal question like "how did Ganondorf turn evil" and someone else replies with a comment the poster is stupid, drunk and blind for posting that topic isn't it a bit harsh to say so? I'm sorry but if someone really attacks someone else only because of their opinion (let's say for liking TP more than OoT) I will give that person bad rep. I got two times neg rep only because those persons didn't like Alexander Semin in my siggy. This had nothing to do with my post or reply at all.
I usually give out more rep than derep people BUT if I see a very bad and poor post, a trolling post or a very bad attacking post I will derep it.

Touché. It would seem I have misunderstood the thread somewhat. I completely agree with what you've said Bigelover.

That depends on the circumstance. If the debate is over a point that involves using facts, such as theorizing or Mature Discussions posts, disproving a post is crucial because it points people in the right direction, and helps them understand the importance of using evidence to back up your claim. What matters is the manner in which you disprove a post. You do not simply start flaming and listing reasons why they are wrong, rather you present the evidence in a sincere way and explain why their claim is not ideal.

I was trying to place my post more in the direction of which you've done, only you've explained it a lot more efficiently than I did.
As you said "Flaming and listing reasons why they're wrong" I just can't stand, it's condescending and patronising.

9.5/10 I give positive reputation. And I leave comments to go along with it. People have the right to know what they did good (or bad) about their post. After all the rep system is supposed to be used as a teaching method. Showing members how to improve and rewarding them when they do.

Occasionally I give neg rep. But its usually only in the cases of a member knowing better, posting spam, and actually following through with the posting of spam. Unless there's an off chance that it is actual flaming, but I find the report post feature to be much better for that kind of nonsense.

I do think there are some flaws in the reputation system. For one, a lot of it is based off of popularity. Oh I like this member, let me help him out. Whether the post is necessarily rep worthy or not is questionable. And thats about all I have to say on this topic.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
I recall using the reputation system once once and that was for a member who had made an awesome post and I gave them good rep for it and explained why. I am usually very frugal when it comes to rep. I will only rep posts if they exceptionally good or make me think (such as in the case with that member who I repped), or if the post contributes nothing at all to the conversation at hand and is very rude. So I guess you could say that I usually approve of posts more often than I do disapprove, but if I do disapprove/approve I usually do so in my mind unless certain circumstances occur as mentioned earlier.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I rarely give negative rep. Like Jo, a vast majority of the rep I've given has been positive, as I feel that is a bit more constructive in the long run and negative rep can unfairly marginalize users who've only made one or two bad decisions in their posting habits.

It is easy to make a mistake and construct a bad post, especially for the younger members among us or those who are simply not as good with English grammar/spelling. It is difficult, and praiseworthy, to construct a quality post. I do not often give rep, but when I do I try to make it count.

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
From what I remember, I only did that 4-5 times. I de-repped once but I can't remember why because it was a long time ago. All the other times I repped them because they were useful posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom