• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do We Really Need the Reminder on How to Swing the Sword?

In all the trailers and screenshots of SS, the Wii remote icon is shown, with a function shown for every button and gesture, even showing that raising the nunchuck raises the shield and swinging the Wii remote swings the sword. Granted, LoZ has many items, so some reminder is needed, but I don't like to be told how to do the simple action of slashing with the sword. Maybe I'm being overly alarmist, but I feel this is slightly condenscending to better gamers. What do you think?

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
I think that all of these screenshots come from the demo version of the game that was playable at E3 and Gamescom. I highly doubt that there will be a permanent reminder in the full version of the game, at least not after the tutorial region of the game. Then again, Link's Awakening elaborately told you how to use the compass every time you found one, and Twilight Princess stated how much each rupee was worth - every single time you resumed playing after a break. So there would be precedent for annoying reminders in a final version of a Zelda game. And yet the new controls are supposed to be more intuitive than those of Twilight Princess (Wii version). Constantly reminding you how to play the game would appear contrary to that, so let's hope for the best.

You are right, it would be a bit insulting to longtime gamers, but I don't think we'll have to worry about that. A while back Miyamoto told us that the HUD would not remain the same because it was just designed that way just to get people quickly familiar with the controls. He also said something about maybe having the option to turn off the HUD altogether.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
They probably will have this reminder for the beginning portion of the game, but then stop it after a while. They did this with LA, where there were reminder like thou needing to use the bracelet or boots, but stopped it after a while. After all, this is something new, so it might take some time for it to sink in for some people.

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
Yeah, Nintendo already said that the HUD was just for E3.
So obviously, the final game will be different.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
I sure hope they get rid of those. I remember how annoying it was in wii sports/ sports resort!

There has only been one thing with Skyward Sword that I'm concerned about, and that is the dumbing down of the game. The problem is that Nintendo seems to have forgotten all of their long term fans and is instead focusing on very casual gamers. A reminder on how to swing the sword would only be helpful to people who have never played a video game before, and Nintendo still is in denial about who the majority of their fans are. Nintendo will lose many fans if they bring their extreme simplicity over to consoles. In my opinion, that should stay on the DS because that is the most likely console a new gamer is going to have.

Nintendo is not the only culprit here, Sony and Microsoft with Move and Kinect are contributing greatly to the massive dumb down of modern video games, and because there are from companies that are more appealing to the hard core gamer, this could have a huge amount of negative fallout. Hopefully these games we've been seeing lately won't be the future of gaming because it's a leap in the opposite direction.

Its confirmed that the HUD will be changed by final version or have an option to take it off like many others have said. I also believe Nintendo isn't making this game first priority on casual gamers. They are making it accessible so if people do try it out, it will be easier to understand and easier to get into. But Nintendo hasn't forgotten about the core gamers. This game is for us.

Mario Galaxy 2 was more challenging than Mario 64 in terms of getting every star. Donkey Kong Country Returns is supposed to be insanely difficult. Skyward Sword will probably be harder than Twilight Princess at least in the boss category, because so many people including reviewers said the bosses were too easy. Link already takes one full heart damage minimum in this game. I don't think there is too much to worry about. Twilight Princess had more mature graphics but it was just as easy as Wind Waker in my opinion.
So the graphics of SS won't be a foreshadowing of how difficult it is, even though nobody said it was, I'm just pointing it out. The HUD will be changed, because frankly I think Nintendo knows it looks cluttered, and in the way of the action. They just did that for video game shows because EVERYONE playing the demo never played a Motion Plus Zelda before.

MOTLEYlink

...No your other left
The HUD that is shown in the screenshots (all of which are demo/beta screens) has (like many people have already stated) been confirmed to be optional.
It will be part of Skyward Swords in game preferences.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
Yup, it's not permanent.
Some people at E3 who were playing that demo could sadly be that clueless. I suppose it was only needed in that circumstance.

AT the beginning of the real game, they'll probably tell you just once if ever and not tell you again.

Okay, I didn't know that Nintendo already said it would be optional. I guess I should have realized it was for demo purposes only.

Beeker

Wild Card
The HUD and these little reminders shouldn't be too much of a problem. Like it has been stated, these were for the demo only, and that they will not be there in the final game. After all, it is a demo.

I could, however, see the little instructions to use each item when you get them or at the beginning of the game, as a quick tutorial. As long as it isn't there all the time, I'll be good, and I'm sure others will too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom