• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do we really need a jump button?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
games with jump buttons usually incorporate them into the gameplay yeah

why do you think this is + would you rather see jumping be integrated more or see the button freed up for other mechanics (like two handing a weapon for example)
Coincidentally, Elden Ring has a jump button and also allows for the two-handing of weapons. I just don't see a good reason to not have a jump button in Zelda. The last thing I need is for the game to send me hurtling off a ledge because I dared approach it too fast.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
why do you think this is
Because there's just nowhere in the overworld that really needs it. If there's any sort of ledge or gap, I'm gonna be gliding, or hitting the wall and climbing over it.
would you rather see jumping be integrated more or see the button freed up for other mechanics
Like Goro pointed out, shield surfing is the only other real use for it, so I probably wouldn't really miss it if it were gone.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Coincidentally, Elden Ring has a jump button and also allows for the two-handing of weapons. I just don't see a good reason to not have a jump button in Zelda. The last thing I need is for the game to send me hurtling off a ledge because I dared approach it too fast.
I like having a jump button in elden ring for sure but let's be honest the two handing input in er is borderline atrocious
we could look at sekiro, I suppose, for what a modern zelda game could look like, mechanically speaking

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I like having a jump button in elden ring for sure but let's be honest the two handing input in er is borderline atrocious
we could look at sekiro, I suppose, for what a modern zelda game could look like, mechanically speaking
I'd say the two-handing control in Elden Ring is about as intuitive as it can be given the sheer number of actions and limited control scheme. Zelda, especially BotW and TotK, are similarly complex when it comes to such controls. Sekiro is a much more focused game with a specific playstyle. I still wouldn't give up manual control of jumping in Zelda.

Now that I'm accustomed to using it while L-targeting (many causes of death early in my BotW playthrough because sidehopping changed mechanically), I appreciate the extra mobility option, but in the specific instance of autojumping vs not, I think there is still room for improvement because the prompts on dropping down (opposite of jumping) are still really finnicky on when they pop up--and that action does not have a designated button.

I miss rolling, though.

Mikey the Moblin

I'd say the two-handing control in Elden Ring is about as intuitive as it can be given the sheer number of actions and limited control scheme.
I don't disagree with you there lol
that's just a problem of elden ring's complexity overall, I think
upping the average number of hotbar items from one in ds1/2/sekiro to two in ds3/bb to FOUR out of nowhere doesn't help either

Zelda, especially BotW and TotK, are similarly complex when it comes to such controls.
in general, I don't like how zelda handles button mapping. I like having a dedicated interact button, and old zelda games (often by necessity) split the interact button with a roll button pretty regularly
botw/tears are a step down though and with no option to wholly fix them
all this to say I don't think the controls are actually that complex, just poorly distributed

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
As a means of providing the player with the most control of the character they play as, yes, I'd say a jump button is necessary. Can a Zelda game work without a jump button? Of course. Several generations did that. But there's no reason why having one is any detriment to a game's design.

In the context of BotW/TotK, I dislike the only options for jump being X/B though. The A button would be a good middle ground, or hell, even a shoulder button. Something about X or B just irks me, can't explain why.

Oh, and yeah. Bring back rolling please.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
As a means of providing the player with the most control of the character they play as, yes, I'd say a jump button is necessary. Can a Zelda game work without a jump button? Of course. Several generations did that. But there's no reason why having one is any detriment to a game's design.

In the context of BotW/TotK, I dislike the only options for jump being X/B though. The A button would be a good middle ground, or hell, even a shoulder button. Something about X or B just irks me, can't explain why.

Oh, and yeah. Bring back rolling please.
Do we really need rolling back? It was only ever for moving marginally faster, and sprinting already does that in a less awkward way.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Hm, I wouldn't say we need it back, but it was a fun way to move around, if nothing else. After all, not every part of gameplay needs to be there for function.

Kinda like how the sword skills from previous games functionally were rarely ever necessary (if at all) but they were a nice alternative to simple button mashing.

Mikey the Moblin

As a means of providing the player with the most control of the character they play as, yes, I'd say a jump button is necessary.
From that perspective, does botw make good use of jumping?
Do we really need rolling back? It was only ever for moving marginally faster, and sprinting already does that in a less awkward way.
In the context of previous Zelda games, rolling was a tool for not just moving faster but also repositioning instantly in a fight and smacking walls or high up places to try dislodging things. I agree that in the context of botw or tears rolling would just be another sprint

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I think in BotW it’s definitely needed just because of the way the game is designed. In other games not so much.

That being said, you could jump in SS, but noooOOOOoooo, nobody cared until BotW did it because BotW was a predetermined masterpiece and even the most mundane crap it did was somehow “revolutionary.”

Arguably not, honestly. But despite that, I'd still favor allowing the player to have that ability instead of lacking it.
If a game isn’t designed around a mechanic, then no it shouldn’t be included. That’s just sloppy game design.

Ganondorf

"Dandori Issue"
Yes, because auto-jumping with something like short fences is annoying, & not being able to jump a short fence at all is even more annoying. I'd like to be able to jump when & where I need it for various reasons rather than auto-jumping like with older titles. Too many times I have gone a little too fast near a ledge & jumped off, Majora's Mask especially. I do however, wish that Link got slightly more height with it from a standing position in BotW/TotK & would grab a ledge above his head. Having to do a running start every time when it's just barely above him is a little annoying. However, the button mapping for it IS atrocious. If you want to RUN & jump, you have to either remap it & get used to it or do like a... claw thing to hold both down. THAT I do not like with BotW & TotK. Arguably though, that claw jump has gotten me through a lot so I'd miss it with certain segments.
I think we all hop more than we think about it in BotW like, over a small rock, up slopes with uneven bits (when Link doesn't cling automatically & just comes to a halt; situational) or over stacked items now like wall pieces or logs. I want to hop over that log, not push it. I want to hop & grab that crate & pull myself up, not push it. Etc. Not being able to hop up that & having to move it or go around it EVERY time is just annoying when you don't want to do that. To test this, perhaps play a few hours & refuse to jump & see how that goes? I think at some point you're going to want to hop over something...

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I think for me it that I'd rather have more control in situations that can lead to ****ing up and restarting. If I'm positioning myself near a ledge and then Link auto-jumps off it and forces me to reset, lose health, or redo content then I was punished for something I didn't do by a mechanic that actively impedes and reduces my control of the character. I would always prefer to have more control than less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom