• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do We Need More Female Villains

Has anyone but me noticed that most of our villains are males or gender ambiguous. So far, there are only a handful of female villains. Veran, the vain sorceress from Oracle of Ages, and Twinrova, who served as the true mastermind of the two Oracle games. Not exactly a big roster. This is something I hope for Nintendo to try in later Zelda games. I got nothing against who we do have as villains, save for the uninteresting Malladus, but I think female villains can be just as interesting.

I guess as far as the role they could be, they could probably be an evil princess, sort of a WHAT IF Midna served Ganon instead of Zant type of scenario, a witch, a female warrior like the ones from various seasons of Power Rangers or even a demon, possibly one of Demise's minions in Skyward Sword's intro.

Tell me, do you think we could use more female villains and what kind of role they would be in should they appear in a game?

Has anyone but me noticed that most of our villains are males or gender ambiguous. So far, there are only a handful of female villains. Veran, the vain sorceress from Oracle of Ages, and Twinrova, who served as the true mastermind of the two Oracle games. Not exactly a big roster. This is something I hope for Nintendo to try in later Zelda games. I got nothing against who we do have as villains, save for the uninteresting Malladus, but I think female villains can be just as interesting.

I guess as far as the role they could be, they could probably be an evil princess, sort of a WHAT IF Midna served Ganon instead of Zant type of scenario, a witch, a female warrior like the ones from various seasons of Power Rangers or even a demon, possibly one of Demise's minions in Skyward Sword's intro.

Tell me, do you think we could use more female villains and what kind of role they would be in should they appear in a game?

I wouldn't say I've seen enough of Malladus, but how could he possibly be more bland than Bellum?

I think a female villian turn to good guy would be a great twist in the zelda series

Except a High Heel Face Turn would be clichéd and ruin the entire point of introducing a new female villain, because she should stay evil for the entire game.

I do think that we should have a female as the main villain of a game. It would be a nice change of pace, as long as its pulled off right.

Katelynn

Flirtatously Flirty
I think yes, Ghirahim was /almost/ female, or just gender confused... :xd:

Veran was pretty awesome, it's too bad she was only in one game, and didn't get a lot of popularity. I think Veran should come back, or someone similar to Veran, like Vaati/Ghirahim or Malladus/Ganon.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Except a High Heel Face Turn would be clichéd and ruin the entire point of introducing a new female villain, because she should stay evil for the entire game.
Clichéd or no, it's better than getting the "seemingly badass but really a joke" villains that we've been getting out of recent Zelda games!
I know for sure that Ghirahim was a female.
Fix'd. :xd:

To actually contribute to the thread, I'd say that we do need more female villains. No, not for them to be there, but to put cool twists in the formula. We could always have a fortune teller villain who looks somewhat similar to Viola from Soul Calibur V and she could always be related to Link in some sort of fashion.
I'll try to put some bulletpoints of what this new villain could be like:
  • Related to Link or Zelda in some sort or fashion (a la the Prince from AoL)
  • Main goal is NOT to control the world, as that makes the villain naive, useless character and overall an extremely boring, loopable boss fight.
  • A sword wielder just like Link
  • Despite it being cliched, this villain could turn out to work for Link's group at the end of the day, who then go against the true big baddy (sick of Link pulling OMA [One Man Army] off flawlessly – it's unrealistic and no matter what, he WILL get tired.)

There are a myriad of things this female villain could show off. Perhaps a deception role. I just don't want the villain do be so damn focused for world domination, as that is ALWAYS the bane of the villains' existence in Zelda. King Bulbin wasn't killed because his focus wasn't world dom, rather it was just following the strongest. Ganondorf was slaughtered because his focus was world domination. Demise was slaughtered in just the same way. Majora...Majora was just crazy, can't comment much. Bellum a la Ganondorf. Malladus a la Ganondorf. I could continue on.

If this female villain is the main villain of the game (main as in focal point, not "most screentime then BOOM Ganondorf/Demise"), then these are points to be considered IMO:
  • Villain for reasons not related to Power: could be covetous of Link's amazing Courage.
  • Not a villain because of some stupid hatred for the gods or crazy plot to become Usurper Queen.
  • NOT a villain because of insanity.
  • Is a complete badass, if any violence is committed, it's mostly centered on the main female protagonist of the game (Zelda, not her kingdom).
  • Is a Hylian/Human just like Link is
  • Doesn't have any cheapo lackeys

Well really, what I want out of this female villain is what I want out of any new villain regardless of gender.

Last edited:

Kitkat

Gimme a Break
I think a secondary female villain would be good. Like if Zant was female I'd be fine with that. If Ganondorf was a girl though o_O I'd have problems with that.

T

Tyewatson

It would be interesting if we had a Demon Queen for once... Like a Ico type villain... Just like they do SotC type boss fights in TP not sure about SS. I haven't played yet however it would be fine by me if they did a female villain, she would turn into something else of course.

No way. Ghiranim has satisfied that "desire", if ever existant, for a long time. I think most males would feel at least awkward having to fight a female character. And for Twinrova: that fight was smoothed out by two facts: first, you actually fought two old witches, who are generally considered bad already without any further need of character development and second, they don't really die but just ascend to heaven or whatever you might call that (at least in OoT):

Last edited:
A female enemy would be pretty cool. I thought it would have been cool if Ghirahim was a chick. Before i actually played the game, now it wouldnt be that cool. It wouldnt really work.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
No way. Ghiranim has satisfied that "desire", if ever existant, for a long time. I think most males would feel at least awkward having to fight a female character. And for Twinrova: that fight was smoothed out by two facts: first, you actually fought two old witches, who are generally considered bad already without any further need of character development and second, they don't really die but just ascend to heaven or whatever you might call that (at least in OoT):
I wouldn't, it doesn't matter what gender they are if one condition is satisfied: we are on opposite sides of the fence. What that means is Bobby is my enemy even if he were a she, because he goes against whatever it is I stand for.

So, let's say I want the Triforce to make a wish for Hyrule to be peaceful. My heart is in balance. Bobby, no, Lilith wants the Triforce to become the ruler of the world. Her heart is in balance. I, as Link, will be hurt even by her presence so she stands through and through as an enemy and thus combat is completely justified. I mean, you don't see Ghirahim have any problem fighting Impa in SS, do you? Then I as a hero(ine) shouldn't have any problem fighting a fe(male) villain.

A female enemy would be pretty cool. I thought it would have been cool if Ghirahim was a chick. Before i actually played the game, now it wouldnt be that cool. It wouldnt really work.
Ghirahim pretty much has all the criteria for "chick". He's got it all. But he lacks one thing; namely mercy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom