• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Do the Sheikah Stones Go Too Far?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
The Gossip Stones in OoT were really cool. They told you cryptic and sometimes irrelevant information, and they had a secret rocket ability (They're like the Old Man of OoT). We all enjoyed them. Then in SS we get these things that give hints, training videos, and even sell you things you would otherwise have to work to find. Did this go too far? I mean who needs a game guide when you have a Sheikah Stone? I think they went too far and are only a continuation of the trend towards Zelda games that require no thinking nor challenge.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Shiekah Stones are not forced upon you and can be ignored entirely after the moment they let you know they are there. In Ocarina of Time 3D you aren't even told about the one in the Temple of Time.

No, the Sheikah Stones don't go too far because after the 8 seconds they spend letting you know they exist, it's as if they were never there, as long as you choose not to use them.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
In both games, the Sheikah Stones serve as a sort of help system; kind of like super guide in a sense. Oh look, here is that guy Ventus actually defending SS. See, with Fi in the midst reexplaining everything the common user already knows, there is a chance that the player forgot what to do (whether it's because of not paying attention, turning the game off, or whatever). Go to the Sheikah Stone to see the latest hint you have, and perhaps you might be put back on the right track. The same can sort of be said for OoT3D.

I don't think the Stone was intrusive in either game (except in OoT3D because...well, it didn't exist in the original so its presence was irksome). It didn't go overboard because it was optional, and it didn't AID the player all that much.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I personally think they are a great feature....

It allows people who need help to get help within the game in such a way that it blends in with the gameplay, it also makes for better efficiency as one doesn't have to disconnect from gameplay to go read a walkthrough Etc. This feature doesn't harm anyone as you don't have to use it but for those who are new or maybe need a little help then it will serve it's purpose.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Actually, the new Shiekah Stones are the implementation of Miyamoto's supposed "third way".

I'll have to look up the source for accurate info, but back in 2009 or so Miyamoto decided to try out a new method of play that will ease beginning players into the more standard franchises by giving the help they need, when they need it in an non-obtrusive manner. This is seen in NSMW's system where if a player fails a stage too many times an option comes up where Luigi can do the stage for you if you want, and you can take control back once you get past that part where you were struggling with. The Shiekah Stones are the way he decided to do that same sort of thing in Zelda games. Giving the players hints if they feel stuck. I don't feel they went too far at all, if it helps struggling players get past that one frustrating part and help them to move on to other parts of the game they like much more then I'm all for it.

Of course, I personally still prefer the vague hints and rumors of OoT and MM, but whatever, this way works too...

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
They...annoy me. It kinda irks me that they're catering to casuals for an already easy game. I know it's none of my business how other people play their game and I guess the fault is mine...but it just irks me that this kind of thing may well breed a new generation of gamers with no independence. Online guides have already begun to do this. I remember when I was 8 and I would spend 2 months on a puzzle if I had to until I got it done...

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
They...annoy me. It kinda irks me that they're catering to casuals for an already easy game. I know it's none of my business how other people play their game and I guess the fault is mine...but it just irks me that this kind of thing may well breed a new generation of gamers with no independence. Online guides have already begun to do this. I remember when I was 8 and I would spend 2 months on a puzzle if I had to until I got it done...

Well, times are different now. I'd rather they cater to new players and keep them interested rather than only cater to the hardcore players and leading to the same situation as what happened with the comic book industry back in the day. Keep them relevant to kids today, I don't want to see the Legend of Zelda fade into obscurity. True, I'd rather they not have to make the game itself piss-easy, but if they can make the game itself moderately difficult with in-game helps to less-skilled players to get through it, that'll be the best option.

Ocarina of Time 3D was actually the first game to feature the Shiekah Stones.

And, no, for reasons others have said.

Weren't there shiekah stones in SS when you play the harp and the black one near the knight academy?

I don't think They are intrusive like others have said they are easily ignored

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Weren't there shiekah stones in SS when you play the harp and the black one near the knight academy?

I don't think They are intrusive like others have said they are easily ignored
Yes, there were Sheikah Stones in SS; it's just that OoT3D released before SS did. :)

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
The difference between the Sheikah Stones and things like dowsing are that they don't have an appeal of being mandatory. As stated, these things made it clear that they were optional features put there for people who would need help. If you take certain pride in completing your Zelda game, saying "I used a Sheikah Stone" feels just as bad as saying "I looked it up." I don't think they went too far, though I would like them to be taken out. What sense of accomplishment is there to beating a game when it builds itself so that everyone, including people who aren't good at it, can beat it? If Nintendo leave them in, I won't be mad, but I preferred the MM stones that gave you great clues you still had to decipher, or at the most sheikah stones in PH and ST that only told you where treasure was, those were fine.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I don't think so, Of course, after they introduced it I forgot about it.
The other little ones that tell secrets are pretty close to the ones from OoT/MM

I'd like Nintendo to leave the super guide ones out, because great sites like ZD might get forgotten. :P

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Well, times are different now. I'd rather they cater to new players and keep them interested rather than only cater to the hardcore players and leading to the same situation as what happened with the comic book industry back in the day. Keep them relevant to kids today, I don't want to see the Legend of Zelda fade into obscurity. True, I'd rather they not have to make the game itself piss-easy, but if they can make the game itself moderately difficult with in-game helps to less-skilled players to get through it, that'll be the best option.

I'm fine with players getting piss easy games. What I get annoyed at is that they need guides for piss easy games.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Shiekah Stones are in-game guides done right. They're pushed to the sidelines and easy to ignore. I don't use them for assistance, but I love watching the clips anyway. They're actually well made. They really should return in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom