• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do I Need to Play Metal Gear Solid Before Metal Gear Solid 2?

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
I plan to get Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 on PS2, and I don't have a PS1 memory card nor want one. I do have a Gamecube and can play The Twin Snakes but I don't really want to, but I will if I need to play MGS1 to understand MGS2. So basically my question is do I need to play Metal Gear Solid to understand Metal Gear Sold 2?

Garo

Boy Wonder
It is not absolutely necessary, but a large part of MGS2s plot and character development will assume knowledge of MGS1's plot. The Twin Snakes is a really fantastic game, and I would highly recommend playing MGS1 in some form before playing MGS2 if you want to get the full appreciation out of the game. It's not critical, but it would make MGS2 much easier to follow.

Metal Gear Solid 1 is a very good game and it is somewhat required to get into the story. Konami did make a port for the PS2 but it's a collector's edition thingy. The collector's edition comes with Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. I'm sure if you have some extra cash lying around you can easily find it online.

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
Okay, I will play The Twin Snakes soon. Seems like it could be fun. Also, the Metal Gear Sold in The Essentials Collection is still a PsOne game but in a PS2 case.

If Mother 3 is an opera, and Other M is a tantrum then MGS2 is an in-joke. A lot of MGS one is in MGS2, solely becuase the whole games of MGS2 hinges on MGS existing at all i cant think of a sequel where th first installment is so necessary. Twin Snake is a just a remake of MGS1, you get all the info and a better game than what is on the ps1 in the original MGS1.

Yes, I would definitely play the first, since it is referenced a lot in the second game. The first is also the best game in the series, in my opinion. You can skip MGS3 though and go straight to MGS4 if you want, then go back and play MGS3.

Okay, I will play The Twin Snakes soon. Seems like it could be fun. Also, the Metal Gear Solid in The Essentials Collection is still a PsOne game but in a PS2 case.
Good. MGS is a heavily plot based series (be prepared for many expository cutscenes). You don't need to know much from the first MGS title, but many characters return and develop into better (or worse) people because of how MGS2's events relate to the Shadow Moses incident from the first MGS. With that in mind, have fun sneaking into bases and fighting Metal Gears:)

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I think you can get by without playing MGS1 but if you have played it, a lot of stuff is gonna make a lot more sense. Also, MGS1 is good and not rubbish like MGS2 so I'd recommend you play it for that anyway.

Kirino

Tatakae
Like others said, It's best to play Metal Gear Solid. You can download it off of the Playstation Store as well. Both are fantastic games though. The whole series in general is absolutely fantastic, and the story is probably the best in any video game. Have fun.

I've played MGS2 yet I haven't played MGS1, but I do get what's going on Since if I remember correctly it does talk about some events that happened in MGS1. so I'd say you don't need to play MGS1 to understand MGS2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom