• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do Fidget Spinners really work?

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I have seen a bunch of 10 year olds messing with these things but do they actually work? idk? whats the science behind that anyways?

download.jpg

I think theyre scientifically proven to be the most irritating and pointless fads of all time.

The end product of a very successful think tank to screw money out of parents.

I heard they were made for children with some sort of mental disabilities but i'm not sure about that. Probably isnt true.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think they are just useful if you like to fiddle with something in your hand. I dont know if there is actually any benifit of using a spinner over playing with a pen or something.

I dont like to tell too many people but I'll share this with you if you promise not to tell. I actually have one myself and I keep it hidden from my parents along with my stash of vape pens so they don't disinherit me.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
They were made for kids that have trouble focusing unless they are fidgeting around with something and these were suppose to be less distracting till the kids that didn't need them started wanting them and parents bought them for them. So a major market was created and knock offs were made and then they were banned in schools cuz they failed the purpose they were created for. :(

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I think they are just useful if you like to fiddle with something in your hand. I dont know if there is actually any benifit of using a spinner over playing with a pen or something.

I dont like to tell too many people but I'll share this with you if you promise not to tell. I actually have one myself and I keep it hidden from my parents along with my stash of vape pens so they don't disinherit me.
God confirmed to vape and fidget spin

I doubt they really work. It's just the new hip fad with all the young people. I kind of want to buy one for cheap and sell it on e-bay just to see how much people would buy it for

Reactions: Dio

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I actually have a fidget spinner, and I use it fairly often to keep myself busy if I'm not really doing much. A side effect of my ADHD is that I need to constantly be doing something with my hands, and fidget spinners actually work really well for that! I don't get distracted by it, it's just something that keeps my hands busy.

That being said, though, it also acts as a harmless distraction when I'm feeling stressed and need to take my mind off things. So it is helpful, I just don't like when people make a big deal out of them and get them just because it's cool to have one. They serve an actual purpose, but kids have turned them into a trend.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I heard they were made for children with some sort of mental disabilities but i'm not sure about that. Probably isnt true.
No, it is true. They were made for people with autsim/etc to help them focus. Then it became a fad for people who don't need them to use them and it does nothing for people who don't need them so now everyone thinks they're a pointless fad. In the hands of people that actually need them, they can greatly help their concentration. It's a shame what pop culture has done to them.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
They were fine until they became memes.

It started out with the cool people getting them, then the people who needed them were like: "Oh yeah boiz" and they all bought several.

The cool kids ditched when they got popular.

Use a pen. Just use a pen.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I have definitely seen them help kids with ADHD or similar disabilities focus in class. I observed a sixth grade classroom last semester and the students who needed them made good use of them and did do better because of it. However, it became marketed as a toy and became a fad that eventually ruined their benefits. They became a distraction in the classroom, and every kid was whipping them out. I'm pretty sure the school I was placed in banned them, and you were only allowed to use them if you had been diagnosed. I really wished this hadn't been the case because kids who needed them but parents refused to have them tested were unable to access them, but thats a different argument entirely.

Fidget spinners were one of the best things before they became a meme. They were like pens or other things kids would fidget around with but made virtually no sound and were great tools. Parents should have known better to not buy them as toys. Like I said, all it did was play into the fad and turned people against fidget spinners entirely.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
One time I was at the mall I observed a mother with a gaggle of little brats kids and the oldest boy - must've been 14 or so idk - just had to have one.

I'd only ever heard of the things at the time so I turned to her and said "So that's a fidet spinner~" and she just kinda looked at me all freaked out like I'd just witnessed her inviting the milkman inside.

Crud, I wish I had that much power over my parents :dry:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom