• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do Americans

Do Americans like "soccer"?

• Total voters

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
This is a topic of debate that has pestered me since childhood.
The poll is basically a question to ask how many citizens of the USA follow or enjoy watching "Soccer" as opposed to watching, what I guess you would call "popular" American sports such as Basketball, American Football and Baseball.​

Yes - Do you support a home team or a foreign team?
No - Which sport do you prefer, that is if you do follow a sport.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot the end off of the title.​

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I don't follow Soccer/Football, or any other sport for that matter. I know that what's called Soccer here is called Football in the UK, and what we call Football is actually a very, very watered-down version of Rugby. The advantage of having a language in common with the British is that it's not difficult to find out what they think of us, if you can learn the most common differences in word use and alternate spellings.

I know so little about sports that I actually wouldn't notice the difference between Soccer and Football anyway, no matter what you called them. :lol:

I've heard the stereotype that Baseball is a favourite American pastime, but I haven't seen much evidence of that. On the other hand, I've observed first hand that American men seem to think the "Super Bowl" of American Football (the watered-down rugby), is very important, and often hold parties to celebrate it.

There are definitely thousands of Soccer (Football) fans here, but in significantly lower numbers than Baseball, American Football, Basketball, and Ice Hockey fans. It exists here, but it's strangely less popular than in the rest of the world. Sort of like the Metric system.

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
I'm american, and my immediate family enjoys Soccer. (I'm one of five, so we are a big family.) I don't really know anyone else outside my immediate family who watches soccer frequently though, American Football, Hockey, Basketball and Baseball are much more popular over here than Soccer.

As for what teams I support, I like the USA teams, and that's who I root for to win. So, this World Cup (Woo Hoo, it's this June!) i'll be cheering for the USA.

So yes, there are Americans who watch and enjoy Soccer.

Last edited:

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I guess. Personally, I loathe soccer with all my being, but there are many Americans who do like it. I don't think being American has anything to do with liking it or not.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I don't care to watch any sports at all, but I loved playing soccer when I was growing up. I had to stop playing when I messed up my knee. From what I understand and have observed, most Americans don't thrive off soccer as they do football and/or basketball.

octorok74

TETTAC
I don't follow, but going to a school where the "minorities" are the majority of students, soccer is huge. It is always soccer this and soccer that. Those kids follow it very closely. I don't care to watch it or any other sport, except hockey, because the fights are great.

I watch wrestling, and that's about it. ;-) I honestly don't even hear much about soccer ever. Most people I know follow baseball, basketball, and football - and even tennis - but soccer is never mentioned.

hsb39

Why so logical?
The bigger question, do any of you know what AFL is?

Before I classify as trolling, I'll note that I really enjoy soccer, watching our country get into the World Cup is great, I'm supporting an underdog. And now with my French connections (Allez Les Bleus!) France is now my #3 team (New Zealand got in, what can I say?).

linkman8

True and Noble
I've been trying my hardest to start watching FIFA, but it's just not available to me. Football/soccer, in my opinion, is a very exciting sport, and I've wanted to watch it for a while. If I did start to watch it, I would probably cheer for America, England, and Germany, or something like that. I'd probably cheer for the Netherlands too.

Austin

Austin
It seems to be quite popular among young boys, but the interest seems to fade away as they grow up. I wasn't one of those boys though, so I can't tell you the reason behind this.

Hazel

A Frog
I personally don't like soccer, but I know plenty of Americans who do. Here in France and in most Europe/European ex-colonies we enjoy Soccer. (me too, Allez Les Bleus, but also Qui Ne Saute Pas N'Est Pas Francais, hsb39!)

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
I grew up in Mexico for a big part of my childhood and I remember liking it and going outside to the streets and play and my favotite team was America, yes it's a hispanic team. Now, I don't particularely enjoy it, I don't know why, I still play it whenever I'm hanging out outside but I really despise watching it, along with every sport. I guess I'm more of a Wrestling person now(I don't watch it, I do it...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom