• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

DnD Stories

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Share your DnD or other games like it stories. I just joined a campaign for the first time recently.

I normally work during the sessions so today I took over a character for someone that graduated since it's a Game Club thing.

The Monk has a thing that triggered at the end of the round (we are stuck in a gladiator arena) and got a little too excited, which freaked out the new Rouge that joined us today; So he attacked the Monk. The Monk is currently bleeding out and for whatever reason the Gnome Wizard (Also new) decided to disguise himself as the Monk. The Human Cleric is defending the body (which is funny cuz the Monk hates him and that is what triggered this, I only know cuz of not being part of this originally. XD) and the Dwarf Cleric is freaking out. The Elf Ranger and myself the Bard are hiding in the corner with a truce. We had to end the session after this.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
*cracks knuckles*
I've been playing D&D for... I think it's six years now, so I have stories.
In my first game, everyone except the DM was new to D&D. I chose the roll of ranger. During one battle during maybe our second session, I suggested that I attempt a super epic double headshot on some goblins. The DM said if I rolled well enough I could, but it would be high DC. And, if I rolled a natural one, I would somehow hit my own left foot with the arrow.

From then on, it was a running joke that every natural one would end up hitting my chracter's left foot, even resulting in a magic missile charged arrow hitting the foot, and the foot (and only the foot) contracting a venereal disease. Eventually, he chose to cut off the foot. This was soon followed by a total party wipe at the claws of a white dragon.
When we started with the new characters, we decided that the dismembered left foot had ascended to godhood. It represented bad luck and endurance. Over the years, we've continued to have many characters worship The Left Foot, and continued on the cult to when our younger siblings decided to make a game together.
#neverforget

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
From then on, it was a running joke that every natural one would end up hitting my chracter's left foot, even resulting in a magic missile charged arrow hitting the foot, and the foot (and only the foot) contracting a venereal disease.

Isn't a magic missile an automatic hit? Also, you live down the Willamette from Eugene, right? If you ever want to try a different group, I've been DMing for pretty much ever. My group is in hiatus right now but I've been working on a mini campaign and I'd like to try Age of Rebellion again.

Eeeenyway, I was DMing for my home boys a game of Edge of the Empire, a Star Wars role playing game. We went with the intro module so that we could learn how to play before we really got into it. The group started off in two separate squads, unrelated to each other but all imprisoned in holding cells on a bounty hunter's ship. The two groups refused to cooperate for a while and wasted some time, but after a while of bickering, dong measuring, and figuring out who was going to be in charge, it seemed they were finally ready to get along to escape the ship.

They joined forces and began searching the ship in a clockwise direction. All of them that is, except Askara. She snuck off and made for the cockpit. "Everybody make awareness checks." Everybody except the droid fails but the guy playing the droid is great at roll playing and his character wouldn't have said anything so he didn't. Everybody was peeved but what can you do? We all knew the guy playing Askara was a loose canon so they wanted to keep tabs on him.

No such luck though. They check a couple of rooms before they hear the engines fire up. Of course, this is the only in-game prompt that the party needs to exercise their out-of-game knowledge and charge for the cockpit, Askara's original companion yelling her name, "Askara!"

They are almost to the cockpit when the guy playing Askara goes, "Is there a door on this cockpit?"

"Yes."

"Will it lock?"

"You're not familiar with the ship, roll for it." He rolls a success with a threat (disadvantage). "You get the door mostly closed but it shudders up and down."

"I try again!" He rolls and lands a success. "The door locks just as the group reaches it." Askara's companion: "Askara!" Askara: "Let's get this ship in the air!"

"You rev the engines but the docking arm is still attached. Roll to disengage." He rolls and fails as the group tries to slice the door unsuccessfully.

"I try to fly off anyway."

"You manage to rip away from the docking arm but the ship is damaged."

"I keep flying."

"You hear the grinding and tearing of metal and you feel a loss of pressure in the ship." The guy playing Askara stares solemnly into space for a moment and replies,

"I keep flying."

His companion in a falsetto scream, "Askara!!!"

"The ship rips itself apart at high speed and comes plummeting down to the Tatooine sands below, killing the entire party."

Needless to say, "I keep flying" has become an ongoing joke in our group.

Last edited:

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
My very first game I was a barbarian tied to a pole, and when released (We were getting our asses whopped), I went ballistic with my rage and K.Oed a fellow party member, resulting in me being waterboarded for an investigation (I was being added into the game through that fight and didn't make a good impression to the party)

I was a Paladin one game, and decided to let the gods decide whether or not I should join the fight that was happening, so I let loose an arrow into the sky. Nat 20. Let's go, ez game, calculated, yeet.

I was Dming a game where a warlock was using his telepathic powers to try and convince a party member that he was cursed with the spirit of the Kobold they had just crushed under a trap. Nat 1, so I explain that he said it all out loud "I am the Kobold you just killed! You are now eternally cursed" or something along those lines. He says: "I try and cover it up by speaking jibberish", and another nat 1. "You admit to the whole party that you said the 'eternally cursed' remark". Niiiiiice.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Isn't a magic missile an automatic hit?
Turns out the monster had impenetrable claws, and it caught the missile with an amazing dex check. It just started bouncing around inside the claw until I crit failed with my bow. Again.

Also, you live down the Willamette from Eugene, right? If you ever want to try a different group, I've been DMing for pretty much ever. My group is in hiatus right now but I've been working on a mini campaign and I'd like to try Age of Rebellion again.
If I weren't in school I 100% would. Sadly, I don't have time to play a lot right now.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
With my current group, I play a human sorcerer named Thorn (Also written as Þ or Þorn, after the rune used in his name). There have been a lot of fun moments.

There were a group of goblins following their king, a 6-armed goblin named "Meek". My character told him that he "didn't seem all that meek to me" and in turn got slapped with all 6 hands consecutively, resulting in enough non-lethal damage to render my character unconscious.

There was a white dragon we were supposed to assassinate because he was allegedly using threats against the crown to gain political power. He became a Baron by the time we reached the kingdom he was in. We tried to confront the dragon and our party got defeated fairly one-sidedly and the dragon let us go with the understanding that we'd pay him thousands of gold every week or he'd hunt us down and kill us. We returned after gaining a level and we gave him a folded up piece of paper, saying that it contained the location where we he could find his gold ransom he was demanding of us. When he started to walk away, we charged him. I succeeded a bluff check during the combat (I had been putting maximum points into bluff and my snake familiar "Snek" gave me an additional +3 bonus on top of that) and yelled something along the lines of, "Get the paper before he can look at it!" The dragon jumped back and opened it, finding himself face to face with some explosive runes (that I'd purchased from a wizard because I was too low a level to cast the spell myself at the time). We were easily able to finish him off and found evidence of him committing tax fraud within his lair.

There was a goblin named Squeak who betrayed us during our first quest. We'd promised to make him the king of his tribe of goblins if he helped us, but he ended up trying to kill us instead. He became sort of a reoccurring nuisance to us. He stole our cleric's coin purse on multiple occasions, in one case tricking her into going into a portable hole with a bag of holding on her person (which caused the bag to explode and all the contents to fall out). My character, not being especially knowledgeable or cautious, made a deal with some fairies to assassinate Squeak for us. He gave them a drop of his blood and assumed that was all he was paying them for the service. During our adventures, we occasionally would find Squeak's name in blood and signs of seemingly random slaughter. Apparently the fairies were killing unrelated goblins and other entities named Squeak in addition to trying to kill the person I had named. We asked some more knowledgeable spell-casters about the deal I had made and it turned out that should the fairies fulfill their end of the bargain, they would be able to command Thorn to do a task of their choice (most commonly kidnapping children). Not wanting to risk being forced into something dangerous or evil, we decided to track Squeak down and kill him ourselves. We received inside information that he was last seen in a specific inn and when he opened the door to his room, he immediately tossed a smoke bomb and jumped out the window. Luckily, our physically strongest member was waiting outside and caught him and we managed to kill him moments before the fairies found us. The fairies were unhappy for what they perceived as breaking the deal and placed a curse on my character's family. 3/4ths of our party then proceeded to get arrested under suspicion of killing someone within the confines of town, but luckily the person who got away was the person who actually finished him off and we managed to place the blame on a person meeting the description of the member of our party who escaped and got away blameless.

One of our reoccurring enemies is this shadowy figure in black armor with burning eyes. During one of our encounters, on the verge of being defeated by us, he reached out and grabbed one of our players [a half-orc warrior who was multi-classing to druid], possessing his body and teleporting away. Our party is currently on a quest to either rescue him or kill him, whichever we can manage. (The player wanted to roll a new character and this was a neat way of doing it, especially since none of us knew it was going to happen).

-

Our party has some pretty colorful characters in it:

Two of the characters died before I joined the game. They had engaged in a prank war that eventually escalated to the point that they both ended up in the ocean. One of them slit their wrists and drowned and the other likely drowned as well (but is officially just MIA).

There was dwarf ranger who was part of the original group, but he is away for school for a while so his character parted ways with ours. He did take points in crafting skills that would allow him to create his own fantasy equivalent of a "ghillie suit" and purchased a very nice wagon at the start of our first quest that we haven't been able to use since because it's in his name.

There's our chaotic good faun cleric who worships Tyche, a minor goddess of luck. Despite worshiping a luck goddess, her constant attempts to gamble usually end in failure, but she can't seem to resist doing it. She's frequently called a goat by other members of the party, though always in good fun. She gets on the nerves of a lot of NPCs by constantly gushing about her goddess and her nativity has gotten her in a fair bit of trouble. She's also insanely talented at playing the pan flute. Her favorite spell is summoning a celestial bee (although it's not an especially useful creature, all things considered). She is the only remaining member of the original group of characters.

There was the lawful evil half-orc warrior (multi-class to druid) who was part of our then 3 person party for a pretty extended period until he switched to playing his bard. His character "Neg" had a family tree filled entirely with people whose names rhymed with "Neg" aside from most of those on his human side. He purchased a baby bear that he was training to fight alongside him (named "Freg", naturally). He caused a lot of trouble for the party because of his lack of hesitation to kill others and how easily he could be provoked into defending his honor. Despite being kind of an evil jerk, none of our characters were happy about him being possessed and resolved to rescue him because even he didn't deserve his fate. His pet Freg remains alive and well in our care.

My character, Thorn, is a chaotic neutral human sorcerer. He trained under the goblin alchemist "Zip'po" the "greatest alchemist in the world". Unbeknownst to any of the party, however, he's the rightful Duke of a province of a country we visited (and got banished from) who has been hiding his true identity since he was young to avoid his obligations. As a result of his life running from his identity, he's a master of crafting lies and fairly good at disguising himself and frequently lies about his name and changes his appearance throughout his travels. At the beginning of the adventure, Thorn was constantly rude to the rest of the party, but over time he's warmed up to them.

Recently, we gained a Goliath fighter named Dominus Maximus with a sort of gladiatorial theme to him. I don't know much about his backstory (though he does have one that's fairly substantial). He generally fights with a spear and a net that he uses to capture enemies. He got into a sort of minor pranking war with the half-orc before he was possessed where they tried to trick each other into drinking a powerful laxative. He recently purchased a seat that he can carry on his shoulder so that the faun doesn't have to walk everywhere.

The most recent member of the team is a human bard named Quixote. He's sort of a middle aged bookworm who comes from an agricultural background and he casts his spells with spoken word instead of using an instrument. He constantly writes down what's happening during our adventures (which is useful, because none of us have particularly good memories).

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I'll just kinda trickle out stories over time, since I have a lot
My first time DMing, it was for my younger brother and his group. I just decided to borrow my DM's copy of Sunless Citadel and run it for them. Seems simple enough, right? How can you mess up Sunless Citadel?
Fairly early on in the module, you meet a kobold named Meepo, who you have the ability to befriend, and in turn he will mention that the kobold queen's pet baby dragon had run off, and that if you were to bring it back somehow, the kobolds would consider you aligned with them, and as such you wouldn't have to deal with fighting them. Sounds like a good deal.
They get to the baby dragon and decide their best course of action is to knock the thing unconcious with non-lethal damage and drag it back. However, outside their own fists (which wouldn't fare well when met with dragonskin), they had no weapons that would deal nonlethal damage.
And then the Barbarian (my brother) had an idea.
He picked up Meepo and beat the dragon down with the poor Kobold. Since Kobold heads deal nonlethal damage, the baby dragon was simply KO'd. However, since Kobold heads don't fare well when ramming into dragonhide, Meepo was dead.
They just hid the body and continued on their way.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
His character "Neg" had a family tree filled entirely with people whose names rhymed with "Neg" aside from most of those on his human side.
The guy who was playing Askara in our first Edge of the Empire session named his following character Deg. Related?

I just decided to borrow my DM's copy of Sunless Citadel and run it for them. Seems simple enough, right
Our first 3.5 module was Sunless Citadel, I spent months building a 2.5D map for it and...the module was crazy boring. Still, a good time was had.

Turns out the monster had impenetrable claws, and it caught the missile with an amazing dex check. It just started bouncing around inside the claw until I crit failed with my bow. Again.
Ha! The DM always finds some way to turn magic middle around on you!

If I weren't in school I 100% would. Sadly, I don't have time to play a lot right now.
If you get the itch to play again during the summer, we'll likely be playing again by that point.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Today I rolled a 2 to see how my character would attack a Gnoll. I rolled high enough to attack it I think it was a 15 but because of the 2 I tripped and my sword stabbed it as I fell. It was already at low heath cuz a Goliath had attacked it already and stunned cuz I made it laugh. I am a bard btw.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Can a frustrated DM blow off steam at an idiot player? Ok, cool, I'm not waiting for an answer.

About a month and a half ago, a pair of friends of mine had a joint birthday celebration, and as I had just gotten physical books, I offered to run a one-shot as a favor, and they enthusiastically agreed. I failed to account for two things: A ) That this group of people was not nearly as experienced or skilled at this game as my regular group and B ) One of the aforementioned friends was a "that guy" or the never-take-anything-seriously and I-think-I'm-playing-Skyrim varieties.

To make a long story short, and make this easier on me, I'll just list the stupid decisions made:

• Playing a full-blooded Orc in a 40% dwarven border town
  • Opting for the Druid class (one of the worst options for a new player)
  • Trying to be a "that guy" who loved setting fires
  • Tried to argue that he should be able to wear hide armor made out of a Tabaxi (a sapient race) and not be evil
  • Tried to argue that he should be able to wear a bloodied skull around his neck
  • Tried to argue that he would have no issue walking into a town with both aforementioned objects on his person
  • Continued to argue after both myself and every other player told him he was being ridiculous and immature
  • Tried to roll an intimidate check against a pair of archers who had high ground and got angry when they still shot him ("Let me through or I'm going through you")
  • Wildshaped himself into a mouse to sneak into a garrison, then popped up between three guards (as a full blooded orc)
  • He was not playing a Barbarian or even a Fighter
  • Complained when the guards, antipaladin, and rogue all ganged up on the evil-looking full-blooded orc who popped up out of nowhere
  • When the party finally reached the final room with a partially-summoned Balor and an eighth-level Warlock, he charged the warlock (after a few rounds of takign damage from the Balor)
  • The warlock was on a platform 15 feet in the air
  • He was not playing a marital class
  • He was very low on health
  • The warlock hits him with two Eldritch Blasts, doing 18 points of damage and blasting him off the platform for another 4 points, leaving him at 1 HP
  • Tries calling BS when the Balor attacks the weakened Orc that just charged his ally

If I was a drinker I would have given myself alcohol poisoning halfway through that night. And bear in mind that due to time constraints, I handwaved away ~70% of the dungeon encounter. If that had been kept in, I'm sure I would have been treated to a few more suicidal tactics that were somehow my fault.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
It's been a while and I never told my story of the Lightning Sorceress I created. We were fighting a room full of spiders that someone had walked into accidentally sacrificing their familiar. I kept rolling low and eventually signed my name on the ceiling. Eventually I started accidentally hitting the Dragonborn Paladin in the butt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom