• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Divine Beast Appreciation Thread

Those poor Divine Beasts. They catch a lot of flack for not being the traditional dungeons most of us know and love. While it's true that there a number of aspects about them that could've been better, typically this all people focus on when discussing them.

So instead of what what was subpar or missing, what aspects of the Divine Beasts did you appreciate and enjoy? What did they get right?

And are there any aspects of their design that you would like to return in future dungeons?

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Their presence in the world was honestly really cool for me, and something I would not mind in future titles. Vah Medoh and Vah Rudania especially, because you could see those from almost any location on the map. It felt intimidating and exciting to look out in the distance and see them moving around. For a lot of them, you could feel their presence and it reminded you of the goal of defeating them all.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I disliked the boss' of each Divine beasts as they could've gone for something spectacular for them but i did enjoy the "Living" dungeon aspect of the Divine Beasts, by this i mean that what you did actually affected the entire dungeons, opening new ways or closing other ways, it was really also nice to see that they used actual elements inside each beasts, that you had to use the Water coming from Ruta's trunk to turn the waterwheels within or alter Medohs flight to access more rooms or change how the air flowed in the current room.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
They were thematically amazing, each of them. Battling them was really awesome, and then entering and controlling them was really unique. The puzzles inside each were pretty satisfying for me. I really appreciate Vah Ruta the most; in design, in battle, in music, and in puzzles, it's my favorite. Mipha is also my favorite Champion, too. The Divine Beasts really felt like a special part of the game and the series. I can't think of many other things in the series that are so visually striking and interesting.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'd have been all for them if they weren't the only 4 dungeons. I think having one big puzzle room/dungeon like that is a good idea for some dungeons and I like the fact you fight them first. I just wish they had had the proper themed dungeons too.

I'll throw in my 2 cents. My favorite aspect of the Divine Beasts was being able to manipulate them on the fly from the dungeon map. Controversy time: I actually think this mechanic was more fun than having a dungeon item. The only downside was not gaining an item that you can take with you the rest of the game, though the champion abilities arguably compensate for this.

I think Vah Naboris has the best music, and the beginning piano theme of Vah Medoh. The coolest looking is Medoh of course, since it's the only one that can fly. Looks so badass flying in the distance!!

The best thing about the divine beasts were that they were different to the dungeons of old. With shrines occupying spaces all over the map the divine beasts were great for having a much more in depth puzzle scheme. Being able to manipulate them each differently and using this to solve the puzzles (Particularly Vah Naboris' rotating interior) as well as having multiple puzzles per beast as oppose to one puzzle per shrine.

The music was atmospheric, the bosses had a challenge to them depending on the order in which you fought them and having them visible from afar meant the were a living part of the world you could interact with being both menacing and really cool at the same time.

I'm a fan of the classic dungeons but a change of pace every so often is always welcome especially when done so well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom