• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dissections

Earlier today in the ZD Wiki Chat, I was reminded of one of my favorite experiments in the science lab-dissections. While some people are uneasy at the prospect of a dead animal carcass, I've always been intrigued with the study of anatomy. From owl pellets in elementary school to a frog, squid, and cow's eye in middle school, and a fetal pig in high school, I always enjoyed this aspect of biology. The squid was a refreshing experience because it's structure is so different from other common dissection organisms.

What creatures have you dissected over the course of your science career? Which was your favorite? Are you eager to participate in dissections or are they something you'd rather stay away from?

Mido

Version 1
I have to say, dissection can be pretty cool sometimes. I dissected a frog and a sardine in 8th grade, and it was a unique experience. But I must warn, a female frog had tons of eggs inside its body during my dissection, which was kind of scary to see. Heart dissection is also a challange in this case.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
aldksfjlksafasdkflj I LOVE DISSECTING THINGS ARE YOU KIDDING ME~
imsuchabiologygeekyouhavenoidea

*ahem* Uh, I've done the frog and fetal pig like most school science courses will have you do, my frog was a lady with eggs too, that was fun (like, seriously, that was awesome). When we did the fetal pig we did it in groups, and neither of my partners wanted to touch the pig, so I'm just, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet I get it all to myself let's cut this baby up.

Also did a summer program where we dissected a sheep brain and a dogfish shark (small shark, really cool). I really like getting my hands dirty and deep into those things, playing with the organs and bones and just...<3

Also I have this weird thing where doing dissections makes me hungry.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I can but dislike it for a few reasons, mainly experiences I've had.

Also, beings they are rather nasty, Ill put em in a spoiler so I don't offend any sensibilities ;)

7th Grade: Life science class, we were dissecting sheep eyeballs. Some genius was tossing around the jelly-like substance from inside and decided to throw it at me.

9th Grade: Biology class. 2 instances. The first was the dissection of a heart, which someone decided looked like a ****** when it was cut open and decided to mime eating it out when the teacher turned his back. The second instance was when were dissecting fetal pigs. We had just finished examining the brains, and someone decided to be a genius and stick a scalpel in and stir.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Dissected a frog, starfish, clam/oyster, fish, and one other thing. Safe to say, I never want to dissect again; I do not feel comfortable messing with any object's innards provided they once were alive. Call me what you will, but it hurts me mentally to dissect animals. :(

The only thing i have ever dissected was a lamb's heart. This occurred during my 8th grade year in some sort of science class (can't remember). I remember the smell of it today just as well as i remembered it back then. It was an awful smell and it made me throw up. I would like to dissect again, but this time with a full animal. My curiosity would override my gag reflex and i would enjoy it.

Claire

The Geekette
I had to dissect a frog for class, though I didn't want to, it was required for the class. I don't get any enjoyment out of seeing dead critters or taking them apart. Technically, I've had to take apart a lot more than the frog, but those were not at all for the science classroom. Fish, turkey, deer, squirrel, moose.. been there, done that. It comes along with living in a rural area (and with a parent who loves hunting). I would not participate in any more dissections for the rest of my life if I had a choice (and I hope I do). My area of interest in the sciences does not involve anything that would require me to do so.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Yeah my old school was awful so we didn't get to dissect anything :/ However I think it would be quite interesting.

octorok74

TETTAC
I had to do a dissection once. it was on a fake frog though that was extremely realistic. But it was still fake. Money issues.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I've only dissected an owl pellet, and that was in grade five. I'm taking biology next year, so I will get to dissect more stuff then. I personally enjoy dissections. While all my other classmates were throwing up, the ten year old me dug those bones out like a champ.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I love dissections! The first dissection I ever did was in my 8th Grade Science class (and we did 3 that year). First, we dissected a Sheep's eyeball, which I thought was cool! My partner, not so much... After that, we did owl pellets. We had to build a mouse out of the bones we found inside. After that, we dissected a Trout. I loved all of those!
In Biology 11, we did 2 dissections. The first one was a grasshopper. My friend ruined that experiment by stabbing it repeatedly with the scalpel. Our second was a Frog. The frog was probably my favourite dissection I've ever done, for reasons unknown even to myself!
Being in Grade 11 currently, I have yet to do Biology 12. I know we're going to dissect a pig though... That should be cool! :wynaut:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom