• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Dissapointed with the Amount of Room to Explore?

The three main areas in the game should definitely have been connected in some way. The overworld was too loose.

Also, I agree with previous posters that potential was lost by not including an ice area in the overworld. No, not just a dungeon but a whole segment of the overworld. The area could have looked beautiful in Skyward Sword's graphical style.

As for sidequests, I felt that the Gratitude Crystal one had the only interesting initiative and reward at the end.

Skyward Sword was a tree without its branches. It was a compilation of minor and seemingly trivial issues that caused my love for the title to dampen. Here's hoping Nintendo learns from Skyward Sword's mistakes and develops something truly superb for the Wii U.

Last edited:
The three main areas in the game should definitely have been connected in some way. The overworld was too loose.

Also, I agree with previous posters that potential was lost by not including an ice area in the overworld. No, not just a dungeon but a whole segment of the overworld. Serious potential was lost as the area could have looked beautiful in Skyward Sword's graphical style.

As for sidequests, I felt that the Gratitude Crystal one had the only interesting initiative and reward at the end.

Skyward Sword was a tree without its branches. It was a compilation of minor and seemingly trivial issues that caused my love for the title to dampen. Here's hoping Nintendo learns from Skyward Sword's mistakes and develops something truly superb fro the Wii U.

This might seem frivilious, but that has to be the best analgoy to descirbe my feelings on Skyward Sword. I can't believe I didn't think of that before lol.

I don't agree with adding an ice area in the overworld or the surface area, though. There wasn't a water theme anywhere in the game which I think has to be coupled with an ice area.

Over9000Gingers

I want fries.
This might seem frivilious, but that has to be the best analgoy to descirbe my feelings on Skyward Sword. I can't believe I didn't think of that before lol.

I don't agree with adding an ice area in the overworld or the surface area, though. There wasn't a water theme anywhere in the game which I think has to be coupled with an ice area.

There was the Ancient Cistern. It was kinda water-ish. And the water dragon. And the forest flood.

MW7

I'll completely misinterpret your title. I was disappointed with the amount of room to explore in the sky because it seemed too large for the relatively low amount of content it had compared to the surface. IMO they should have shrunk the sky (or better yet, put more things in it), and put some of that room to connect the surface. If the surface would have had connectedness it probably would have been my favorite overworld in a Zelda game, but still the amount of content it had made it a strong point of the game. The sky was a weak point IMO.

penguinboy82

Nature's troll
I think there really wasn't that much considerable amount of room to explore anywhere at all, but as MW7 said, particularly in the sky. On the ground though, it was very straightforward and to the point and didn't really have anything to do outside of the main plotline.

Actually Eldin may have worked very well with an ice theme as the higher the altitude, the cooler the temperature. The problem, however, is that Skyward Sword may then have suffered from being too similar to Twilight Princess.

the only games that had a snow/ice themed dungeon were ST, MM, and TP.(I'm not counting the tiny ice tunnel in OoT and correct me if there are other ones)
Can't forget about ALTTP either, I love/hate that dungeon!(there still might be more that I don't know about)

--------------------

I agree. I didn't like the sidequests to much, they were sorta boring, and I didn't really care about the peoples problems enough for me to want to do them. Only a few times did I do something because I cared, rather then curiosity about what that guy would look like as a human(which was disappointing to me).

And the exploration was not handled well at all in this game. Nintendo had an entire sky to fill things with, yet they put little treasure chests on them that are never hard to reach. I think they could of added other lands with other people living on them, or maybe some holes and caves to explore in the above world, it would of been a lot more fun.

I liked the surface world, I enjoyed the puzzles and things. But even with the puzzles I feel like they could of had more exploration. Yeah, sure, I've found a couple things, like goddess cubes and material to upgrade my stuff. But I sorta enjoy the random holes to fall in, and the random caves to walk through, it makes me feel like an adventurer, exploring new lands and discovering secretes! But in SS, I felt like a knight trying to find my fair maiden in a strange world. Not a bad thing, but not quite what I(personally) wanted from a Zelda game.

My main gripe is the lack of dungeons during the Song of the Hero quest. I guess they would have to add more land to accommodate the new dungeons. Speaking of more land, I wish there had been more to explore above the clouds, and maybe some of the aforementioned dungeons could have been there.

Actually Eldin may have worked very well with an ice theme as the higher the altitude, the cooler the temperature. The problem, however, is that Skyward Sword may then have suffered from being too similar to Twilight Princess.

If you ask me that's a far fetched idea and I don't think it would have worked. Eldin Volcano is just that, a volcano, making it frozen over at the summit would have been an awkward transition if you ask me.

Perhaps a spin off dungeon near the Water Dragon's lair? Sort of like how the Ice Dungeon in Ocarina of Time is near Zora's Domain? That could work I suppose, but then it takes away from the tropical feel I got from exploring that region. Fact is, I don't think that an Ice Dungeon could have been implemented in the current layout of Skyward Sword. Nintendo would have had to do some tweaking.

godess reborn

Blame The Cricket
I think the sky could have had a couple more islands, but most of the main game took place on the surface anyway. I felt like some of the sidequests were rather short ( either that or annoying... FLEDGE WHY CAN'T YOU BUY YOUR OWN STAMINA POTIONS YOU'RE ALWAYS WORKING FOR THE LADY IN THE KITCHEN WHY CAN'T YOU JUST USE THAT MONEY?!?!?! ). Conecting the lands would have made traveling easier, definetly. But overall I thought there was a decent amount of exploration, though there was potential for more.

Okay, ive never played a zelda game that i didnt like, but i really did love Skyward sword, and there were plentyof things to do from flying to different islands in the sky to adventuring to the three regions on land, however, there was not a whole lot to do after you explore places for the first time.....In majoras mask, you could play over and over and honestly play for months and still find new things all the time, wind waker has such a huge map with so many things to do i cant complain, ocarina of time was very adverse in gameplay between times and dungeons and twilight princes had a pretty large map with the wolf and human thing, and dont get me wrong skyward is great but i get an empty feeling when i get done playing it. I cant exactly explain it but there wasnt enough places like goron city, or zoras domain from the older games, they should have put more exploration factors into the game, like many of you mentioned secret caves and secrets in general. Yes there were some secrets like the drawings on the wall, sidequest and little tidbits here and there, but it was like the first time you explored an area, it was pretty much as it seemed. I liked the concept of going into an area, leave comeback and unlock a new section of the first area, but it just lacked exploration qualities. If i could ever talk to a zelda game director or whatever, id really like to tell them to make a game with new and old zelda game concepts, larger maps with plenty of stuff to explore and secrets to figure out, where you can replay and find new things.

If you ask me that's a far fetched idea and I don't think it would have worked. Eldin Volcano is just that, a volcano, making it frozen over at the summit would have been an awkward transition if you ask me.

Perhaps a spin off dungeon near the Water Dragon's lair? Sort of like how the Ice Dungeon in Ocarina of Time is near Zora's Domain? That could work I suppose, but then it takes away from the tropical feel I got from exploring that region. Fact is, I don't think that an Ice Dungeon could have been implemented in the current layout of Skyward Sword. Nintendo would have had to do some tweaking.

There could have been just a plain non volcanic setting possibly with high speed winds to provide an effective transition for an ice area in Eldin.

Also, I like your spin off dungeon idea. Tweaking is never a bad thing and Nintendo should have engaged in that sort of activity before releasing Skyward Sword. I realize the developers wanted to release the game in time for the lucrative holiday season-the Wii's last major one-however, with more time and effort put into producing the title, a title for the ages may have spawned. As it is, gamers will have to content themselves with something that is merely great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom