• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Disney: Which sequels do you think surpass their originals?

Mido

Version 1
The Disney Sequels (direct to DVD) are infamous for their subpar presentation that in some respects taint the good graces of their respective predecessors. Still, some sequels, especially those outside the direct to DVD movies, do surpass their original in its respective series. Notable among these is The Rescuers Down Under. This all being said, which Disney Sequels do you find have surpassed their predecessors?

EDIT: Pixar Sequels are included since their sequel history has generally been stronger, at least compared to the standard issue Disney sequels that live in infamy.

In addition to Rescuers Down Under, I would also throw in Pochahontas 2: Journey to the New World. It's not perfect by any means, but for whatever reason, I found myself more entertained by it in comparison to the first one.

Last edited:

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Cinderella's pics are wrong, when they're saying its the 2nd one, they're using the pic form the 1st one....

Mido

Version 1
I can't think of any.

Honestly, especially with the infamous direct to DVD ones, I found it particularly difficult to think of ones I could say were better. With Pochahontas 2, there were elements the first one did much better certainly, but for various reasons I found myself more entertained by its sequel. I think often with these cases there will be various niche fan bases for these sequels. I think the only other sequel I can say sort of gets up there is Cinderella 3, at least as far as direct to DVD goes, as the majority are bad.

Cinderella's pics are wrong, when they're saying its the 2nd one, they're using the pic form the 1st one....

I took a look again at the cover, and I don't recall this being the case. I mean, unless there were different versions depending on where the DVD was released, but I wouldn't know that. In any case, did you like the sequel(s)?

Last edited:

Mido

Version 1
Does Disney/Pixar count? If so... Toy Story 3 is the best of the Toy Story trilogy. I liked Finding Dory better than Finding Nemo tbh.

Yeah, that counts! It should broaden the horizons of the topic. Personally, I'm a tad more partial to Toy Story 2, but I do think both sequels surpass the original for Toy Story. Not that Toy Story was bad, but the sequels really built off the original so well.

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Yeah, that counts! It should broaden the horizons of the topic. Personally, I'm a tad more partial to Toy Story 2, but I do think both sequels surpass the original for Toy Story. Not that Toy Story was bad, but the sequels really built off the original so well.

If we are including Pixar then I'm going to say Toy Story 2. I'm not a big fan of the first or 3rd ones, I thought they were decent but 2 really stood out for me.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
@Mido its in my magazine that the pics are wrong with Cinderella and I like Pocahontas 2 slightly better than the 1st one 'use the stick to count the white man and hes left with a stub'

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I'm gonna have to call out Leroy and Stitch. Now, I love the Stitch series. The original was amazing. The first sequel was a great series premiere. The second sequel was the only movie that made me cry as a kid. But Leroy and Stitch was, somehow, able to give us a strong ending to this series. It took a little from everything we'd seen so far. It showed the characters getting what they always wanted, but realizing that they were happier with their family. After all, that series is all about family. It was a strong film, I could go on for a long time with it. It's tough, but for being able to bring this series to a satisfying conclusion (anime notwithstanding), I'll give the edge to Leroy over Lilo.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I agree with Rescuers Down Under. I think it's the only Disney sequel that's better than the original. There are a few that I think are almost as good as the original movies however, such as An Extremely Goofy Movie (A Goofy Movie), Toy Story 3 (Toy Story), and all the Lilo and Stitch sequels. Lion King 1 1/2 and Kronk's New Groove deserve some honorable mentions as well, though they're not as close to being as good as their originals, but they're still pretty good movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom