• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Discussion #021: Who Invaded Romani Ranch?

Be advised that the following article contains unconfirmed, fan-made theories or speculation. "Of course, it's aliens." That's what most people think about the creatures that attack Romani Ranch in Majora's Mask. But Zelda isn't about supernatural beings, it's about something that's the complete opposite. Let's look at the theories...

Okay yes, like I said earlier, the most common theory is that they're aliens. There's no in-game proof that they actually are aliens, and they don't look anything like aliens would do in most fictional stories. We don't know what aliens look like, but Nintendo wouldn't have made them look like that if they are aliens. It's common in stories that aliens and UFO's hang around farms and ranches, so it'd make sense that they'd attack Romani Ranch, but they left no crop circle or anything like that. No UFO is there either, so I personally find it hard to believe.

Another theory is that they're demons, not aliens. People think that a curse was placed on Romani Ranch and that's why it got invaded by the creatures, but those people have no evidence on who put the curse on the ranch. Neither of these theories make any sense to me, I think there's a much bigger plot behind the attack of Romani Ranch. Especially when the Majora's Mask story itself is deep enough, who knows, the creatures may have just been an attack by Majora. But here's my theory...

The Gorman Brothers, the two nasty brothers that compete with Romani Ranch. It's obvious that they hate the owners, and chased their carriage on horses to steal their supplies. Also, their reaction after the ranch was attacked was quite obvious that they were something to do with it. It may be a case of revenge, they both own the Garo Mask, giving them the power to summon Garos. So maybe they attacked the ranch with that, except the aliens aren't Garos. But, just like they were on the horses, they could've been in disguise.

Anyway, that's what I think, so what about you?! Post in the comments below, bye and have a nice day/evening!

- GreenGyser :chu:

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
It is widely thought that "they" were modeled after the Hopkinsville encounter in 1955. I, however, disagree. Besides the fact that "they" seem too come from the sky, I agree with you that the Gorman Brothers have something to do with this. "They" are after the cows in Romani... and so are the Gorman Brothers. The Gorman Brothers might have summoned some sort of Garos to do their dirty work.

Unfortunately, this theory sounds as far fetched as the theory that they are aliens. Axle might know something about this....

ALIENS!

Seriously though, that is what I always saw it as. Whether it be based on a specific occurrence or just alien abduction lore in general there is no doubt that it's a direct reference of that. Now in game it could very well be a demon or something but I just took it for the reference it was making.

That's what I love about MM, it's such an intricate and well written game, they were able to make an event based on something very un medieval fantasy like and have it fit seamlessly in with the story. It was a delightfully creepy and adrenaline rushing moment, one of my favorites in the game.

bkelly458

Just Some Dude
I've always thought they were aliens. Also, I don't know if this was intended or just some sort of glitch, but there is a red star in the sky that disappears after they attack the ranch.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I think your arguments against them being aliens are very weak. "But Zelda isn't about supernatural beings, it's about something that's the complete opposite." What do you mean by this? Methinks this statement is completely backwards.

What do you make of the red star that supposedly disappears from the sky the moment they arrive at the ranch?

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
The Gorman Brothers? No, not really. The things that invade Romani Ranch were able to wipe Romani's memory, remember? Also, just because they don't look like traditional aliens doesn't mean they aren't. They do act like usual aliens. The abduction of cows is a common element in alien stories.

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
I think your arguments against them being aliens are very weak. "But Zelda isn't about supernatural beings, it's about something that's the complete opposite." What do you mean by this? Methinks this statement is completely backwards.

What do you make of the red star that supposedly disappears from the sky the moment they arrive at the ranch?
I am not trying to be rude... but if you know anything about constellations, you will realize that the star is Betelgeuse. I have no idea why it disappears though... coincidence?

Cfrock

Keep it strong
But Zelda isn't about supernatural beings, it's about something that's the complete opposite.

Well supernatural involves ghosts, zombies, spirits, fairies, magic and demons so Zelda is actually very much about the supernatural. Aliens isn't too much of a stretch to include in Zelda.

Nintendo wouldn't have made them look like that if they are aliens.

They wouldn't? Why not? Aliens can look like anything so I don't really see how that's an argument against them being aliens.

Like TwilightDeku said, the whole invasion scene is a reference to the 1955 Hopkinsville Encounter from the USA. The design of 'Them' is in keeping with that. They have big glowing eyes, appear to glide, have metallic looking clothing and long arms with claw-like hands. They also go after cattle, another trait associated with alien visitation, particularly in the US, and even abduct Romani if you fail to stop them. They also arrive in a mysterious ball of light, which is a fairly common description of a UFO from witness accounts of alien encounters.

I doubt the Gorman Brothers had anything to do with it since they lack the ability to wipe a person's memory and there's no way they could have levitated the cows into a flying ball of light. The fact they also want Romani's cows is just a coincidence. After all, they are the main competition.

I don't really think it can be anything other than aliens, because everything about 'Them' and the invasion scene is designed as a reference to alien encounters.

romani64

PASTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
allow me to show you a post of mine from way back when, when my grammar was terrible, and a wasnt good at explaining things too well.

i have a looooong theory. you know that random cow, in a CAVE, UNDER IKANA (i still find that VERY WEIRD)??????and how people say they have seen garo sightings at romani ranch???well why dident THEY steal that cow?that is if they are the garos, but at the same time, the garo sightings could have been the gorman brothers,but at another time, the gorman brothers never really SET FOOT on romani ranch.they stayed at the gorman track and waited.(if you ask me, i think THEY look like big poes....)
well back to the random cow...in a CAVE..!..the way romani was talking in the game sounded like she knew THEY where coming long before link even came to help.like a couple of YEARS before.but befor that she never LOST HER MEMORY and the cows where given back.or did she like,get new cows every year???but i think if they where the garos, they would know about the cow soooo....that PROVES they are NOT THE GAROS...(well that answers a diffrent question....i guess...)....
ANYWAY, NOW FOR THE COMPLETE ANSWER!!!THEY took romani and wiped her memory clean because she was begining to know to much, and she was telling TOO MANY PEOPLE. and if they let her go for another time, on that one strange time of year where the moon has a face (...and looks so sad...)word could have gotten out. it would be to dangerous for THEM to let her go any longer knowing the truth.
so no, THEY did not take her memory to take control of her, but to just protect themselfs. they mean well!all they wanted was cows!
as for ROMANI, she was accidentaly picked up.
SO THER YOU HAVE IT!!!!!!!IANSWERINGTHEORIES!!!!!!
in the first paragraph, i was explaining that if the supernatural beings coming to romani ranch could possibly be the garo, due to the fact that theyre are cows hidden around termina, especially ikana. but at the time, i did not have ocarina of time to know that theyre where random cows located around hyrule as well. so ignore the first part of the paragraph if you want.
the second part of the first paragraph gets more into the fact that if the aliens where garo, they could have been the gorman brothers. because at the time, the gorman brothers had garo masks, and could have stolen the cows themselves, but this theory was also proven invalid.
but i guess the my final answer was pretty good. if you can understand it. i mean seriously. i had bad grammar back than.
take this theory and use it any way you want to.
if i wasnt in a rush right now i could have fixed it. im sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom