• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Discussion #019: Who Are the Moon Children?

Be advised that the following article contains unconfirmed, fan-made theories or speculation. I've already made an article on who the mask salesman is, and I said he used to be one of the children. After that, I began to research who the children are, and I've got some awesome theories...

I did say I would post another article relating to the Moon, and this is it! Just like the mask salesman, the children's life are never explained in-game. They live on the moon, and four of them are wearing the four boss masks, apart from one who's wearing Majora's Mask. It really doesn't make much sense me saying that the mask salesman is one of them, because there's much more to it than that. So let's look at the theories.

When I was talking about how Majora's Mask was crafted by the "dark tribe", well maybe the children are the dark tribe. It wouldn't seem like it, because they're children, but maybe that is it. If it is true, Nintendo made a very creepy, physiological move there. So if the children are the tribe, then so is mask salesman. Now that I think about this, it's very, very creepy.

Our second theory is that the children are war victims. There's not really any evidence of this, but we can build up a picture from the happenings of the game. So yeah, maybe Majora and this "dark tribe" waged war against the tribes of each boss, then stole the spiritual remnants from them. That would be the children. It would also explain why the children wearing the boss masks don't play with the child wearing Majora's Mask.

Our last theory is that the children are actually projections of Skull Kid's old friends, but when they turned into the giants, Skull Kid got angry and transformed them into the bosses using the power of Majora's Mask. I personally like this theory, even though I don't believe in it. Maybe the child wearing Majora's Mask is Skull Kid, but before he turned into his form after wandering into the Lost Woods.

This means that all those children could possible be Kokiri, and that would explain why they never die. But it doesn't make sense, because the Kokiri can't leave the forest. They might just be ghost or projections like I said earlier, and maybe the mask salesman is just the same.

What do you think? Do you have any other theories? Post below! Thanks and have a nice day/evening!

- GreenGyser :chu:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I personally think everything on the moon is just projections from Majora and gives us something of an insight into Majora's crazed psyche. There are a lot of ways you can interpret the things found on the Moon and the children are by far the most interesting and mysterious of the bunch. I don't have a specific theory or explanation beyond that; the whole scene is just a projection or insight into Majora's mind.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
I go for a variation of the third theory, they are traces of Skull kid's broken mind or something, I also want to get the facts straight by saying the kokiri can indeed leave the forest, in the ending credits we see kokiri at the Lon-Lon party, and Saria leaves the forest all the way to the chamber of the sages, which is in the temple of light, here is a good article which explores deeply the psychology of the moon children

I personally think everything on the moon is just projections from Majora and gives us something of an insight into Majora's crazed psyche. There are a lot of ways you can interpret the things found on the Moon and the children are by far the most interesting and mysterious of the bunch. I don't have a specific theory or explanation beyond that; the whole scene is just a projection or insight into Majora's mind.

↑My sentiments.

Although, I would just like to add that your [the OP's] theory about the moon children being members the dark tribe is very intriguing. I formulated a similar theory surrounding their origins as well; however, mine is highly speculative. In mine, the bosses from each of the cardinal directions - north, south, east, and west - originated from the dark tribe. What I believe is that they were probably worshiped as deities, or high figures, and the tribe members [the moon children] wore masks to honor them. Each of the masks might have had a mystical quality about them, though this is not a major factor. But of all the masks worn in honor of the deities, Majora's mask was the most malevolent and powerful - too powerful, and as such, it was sealed away. [In my theory] The lonely moon child wearing Majora's mask symbolizes the mask's verboten status among the tribe.

If Majora was once a living entity whose soul was trapped inside a mask - in a manner similar to Link's masks, I think it is probable that the imagery within the Moon, including the small tribe of moon children, simply projects his/her psyche into a tangible form. If such is the case, I'd imagine Majora was greatly disturbed. His/her sentiments might have made the Skull Kid a perfect host, as he was under the great emotional stress of loneliness and abandonment...

Oh, sorry... tangent... tangent.

All of this sounds like pure fanfiction, but at any rate, it is speculation from an old theory of mine, nothing more.

PS: I was going to provide some links to Hyrule Historia, but the site that hosts the translations is currrently down.

I think that the moon children being the giants and the child in the middle wearing majoras mask sounds pretty reasonable.

Braivety

FPT | Breb
I actually believe they are Skull Kid's thoughts and emotions. They wanted to play hide and seek w/ you because that's just what they wanted to i guess.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
i would think the moon children were some kind of illusions created by majora that are based off the happy masked man

to make it more clearer,if it were say....the postman who obtained majoras masked and established some type of connection w/ it,then the moon children would appear more like the postman

LavaAnon

The Forever Gamer
I think the Moon Children are Skull Kid or Majora's emotions, put in phisical form. They ask you odd questions and they desire odd things... masks. The questions asked maybe are what Majora wanted to ask other people or of itself (if that makes any sense). Like if you ever had any true friends or what makes you happy, things like that. The whole Mask deal, I think the children want these masks so they can maybe make imaginary friends and prove to himself if he actually has any friends at all. I'm not entirely sure about this one but I think it should be thought about. :)

jack546

The chosen one
I think that the moon children have something to do with the Happy Mask salesman but I am not shure what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom