• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Discussion #015: Are All the Skull Kid's the Same?

Be advised that the following article contains unconfirmed, fan-made theories or speculation. Skull kid appears in 3 major Zelda games, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. There's a big theory that all of these Skull Kid's are the same. Speculate time!

The Skull Kid in Ocarina of Time doesn't really have much of a big role, just someone to play along with on the Ocarina. The Skull Kid in Ocarina of Time is also one of the people you sell a mask to. He obviously must like masks then, which links to the Skull Kid in Majora's Mask, because he's the one who gets possessed by Majora.

Before we dive deep into that, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess are in the same segment of the split timeline, the one where Link kills Ganondorf as a child. Then why isn't Skull Kid around in any of the other segments? Maybe in the segment where Link killed Ganondorf as an adult Skull Kid got killed in-between. Also, in the segment where Link dies, maybe he dies too.

Back to Majora's Mask, you then realize that it is taken place in Termina. So is Skull Kid Hylian or Termian? Well after listening to Anju's grandmother's story, it is said Skull Kid was departing Termina to return to the heavens after causing trouble with the giants. Maybe the 'heavens' is Hyrule, so that's why he was in Hyrule in Ocarina of Time.

Onto Twilight Princess, there's not any evidence that they're the same. In my opinion, I think the Skull Kid from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are the same but the Skull Kid in Twilight Princess is just another.

Well, what do you think about this odd theory. Post below! Thanks and have a nice day/evening!

- GreenGyser :chu:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
It's certainly the same character between OoT and MM.
Eh-hee-hee...You have the same
smell as the fairy kid who taught
me that song in the woods...
("fairy kid" being Saria, and they smell the same because they grew up in the same village/woods)

Why doesn't SK appear in other titles? Maybe.... he just doesn't appear? Anything beyond that is just pointless, groundless speculation.

I had the same thought about returning to the heavens. It seems that he's from Hyrule, went to Termina and befriended the Giants, returned to Hyrule where he was in OoT, then returned again to Termina for MM.

I think your conclusion on TP SK is sound. I don't remember there being any quotes, the only connection being the Lost Woods theme. We've seen other SKs in the Lost Woods in OoT. So it only depends on just how strongly the developers associate Saria's Song with that specific SK, or just with SKs in general. With the connection highlighted in MM, it is possible that they're the same. I believe that they're the same, but I think it's a matter of taste regarding said connection.

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
I belive all three of them are the same. How would the skull kid in the lost woods in TP know saria's song? Besides, it is funner to think of it this way. I still wonder whom skull kid was before he became a skull kid.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
The Skull Kid in Majora's Mask is pretty much definately the same Skull Kid you play Saria's Song for in Ocarina of Time.

As for Twilight Princess, the use of Saria's Song might suggest that it is the same Skull Kid. There isn't really anything that definitively says he isn't the same and the only real evidence (Saria's Song) leans more towards him being the very Skull Kid from Majora's Mask. I like to think he's the same. I'm not sure why, maybe its just because the Skull Kid/Majora combination is one of the best villains in the franchise or maybe it's just because I love Majora's Mask so much.

Big Octo

=^)
I belive all three of them are the same. How would the skull kid in the lost woods in TP know saria's song? Besides, it is funner to think of it this way. I still wonder whom skull kid was before he became a skull kid.
There could be multiple ways in which he knew the tune. It could've been passed down to him from previous Skullkids.

I think all 3 are the same. My only question is why he never aged from Majora's Mask to Twilight Princess. Maybe he is a Kokiri?

Again, the Skullkid in TP has a very good chance of not being the one from OoT/MM. And no, a Skullkid is a Skullkid.

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
I think it is quite obvious that the SK from OoT and MM are the same. The only question is the TP SK. It is more likely to be a different SK because of the time difference between the two games. If I remember correctly, isn't Saria's Song the same thing as the Lost Woods them? If so, could it be possible the SK from TP learned it from being in the Lost Woods constantly? Just a thought...

Cfrock

Keep it strong
And no, a Skullkid is a Skullkid.

"Skull Kid - Is this what happens to kids who wander into the forest? It looks like he doesn't like grownups." — Navi

It's implied in Ocarina of Time that, while adults who get lost in the woods become Stalfos (like Grog), children become Skullkids. So there's a possibility that a Skullkid in fact wasn't always a Skullkid

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
A lot of time passed between his appearances in Termina as well. Though it's possible that that's due to time dilation effects between different dimensions...

The Skull Kid from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are the same. Especially in the fact that they are fawned of masks, make references to Saria, and are associated with fairies (because Skull Kids are Kokiris that got lost in the Lost Woods, and Skull Kid befriended Tatl and Tael).

The Skull Kid in Twilight Princess, however, could or could not be the same. The life span of a Skull Kid is unknown, so we cannot say that they age, die, or become something else (like a fairy or stalfos). It does take place in the same timeline, and is also associated with Saria's Song, but we cannot know for sure. It's possible that the first Skull Kid taught the others that song. It is also unclear whether he stays in Termina or Hyrule after Majora's Mask.

As for the Skull Kid(s) not appearing in any other game, it's relevant to the absence of the Kokiri. Remember, Skull Kids are Kokiris that get lost in the Lost Woods. Since they do not appear in any other game (excluding the Koroks, because it is unsure if they can turn into Skull Kids), there cannot be any other Skull Kids. The Kokiri most likely do not exist yet in the previous games, and were wiped out in the games after (by the Great Flood or the Hyrulian War or some other catastrophe).

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
I like to think to think they are one and the same, but there is no reasoning to believe either side of the theory

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
I think one of the things to question is wether or not it is just Kokiris that turn into Skull Kids or children in general that turn into skull kids. If it's children in general, then skull kids should appear in any game. If it's just Kokiris, then Sojourn's comment explains why they aren't in any other time line.

But I would like to think that the skull kid in Twilight Princess is the Skull Kid from Majora's Mask. we really have nno indication otherwise whether he is or he isn't, but it could go either way. Also, woody plants can live for over 100 years, so Skull Kid living that long seems pretty possible to me.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I do think the OoT and MM Skull Kids are related. When you finish MM, Skull Kid says that you smell like that forest boy I met or something like that. It doesn't prove it, but it does seem implied. As for the TP one, I'm not so sure. There's nothing that really connects the two, but I wouldn't be suprised if they were the same.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
the skull kid in the n64 games are the same,no doubt about it,the one in twilight princess is up to speculation
even though the gap b/w the n64 games & twilight princess is pretty long,we don't know what a skull kid's life span is,so that fact can't definitively rule out the possibility that they could be the same,the fact that he knows saria's song and plays around w/ link sorta enhances the possibility of them being the same

i say they are

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom