• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Discussion #004: Is Gohma Actually a Spider?

I'm not a spider expert or anything, but I'm pretty sure spiders don't have six legs. I'm also pretty sure that they don't have one massive eye. I think Gohma is just a crustacean(?)/bug themed, recurring monster.

so shes not technically a spider but an arachnid? no, arachnids have eight legs... Gohma has been depicted in many shapes.

6 Legged Gohma from LoZ

4 Legged Parasitic Armored Arachnid Gohma from OoT

8 Legged Twilit Arachnid Armogohma from TP

so i guess in the words of Egon Spengler "It's whatever it wants to be"

Danigo92498

Someone You Met Online
I agree with SNOlink. But you have to consider that this isn't real; It's Zelda! It doesn't have the same things we do, maybe to a Zelda scientist, they're all classified as an arachnid. I also agree with the evolution theory. This is my thought's on it:
Fire Gohma(ww)
Gohma(oot)___/___
\Armogohma(tp)

also..maybe its not that Gohma is her name...but for lack of a better term species. like stalfos... there are many stalfos so its not just the one dudes name. this would give reason why all the variations of gohmas look slightly different. the same way asians, africans, caucasians look slightly different but it dosnt make them that less human. right?..

i take it back.... TEKTITES...tektites also have a similar design... why wouldnt they be called gohmas too? similar arachnid type with exoskeleton (armor type coating). one eye. what makes tektites different than gohmas?

Last edited:
It simply resembles a spider, but it doesn't have remotely all the characteristics of a spider, and there is no way it can be considered an arachnid, at least by real-world zoological standards. The Zelda universe seems to have its own classification of its [own] animal kingdom and such. The name itself seems to be a sort of corruption of the Japanese word チ くも[sup]?[/sup] Kumo (spider).

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
Personally, I think determining whether our not a gohma is an arachnid is moot Becuase this is a fantasy series we are discussing. You can argue that Gohma was based off of an arachnid or some other bug or a crustaetion, but it is more logical, in my opinion, to assume that gohmas are their own genus and that the differing gohma in each game are their own variation or species or gohma.

Pie Master

Master of cakes and pies
Somewhere in the jungles of Qoetzacotloal's
I don't know why you're thinking it's the same monster, they're different creatures that just happened to have the same name (much like our trillion Links are different people). Gohma is basically an umbrella term to multi-legged arthropod monsters (usually bosses) in the Zelda games

I agree that Gohma is just a multi-legged one eyed monster. She just takes a slightly different form in each game. A lot of reoccuring bosses do that. She takes the form of any existing creature with at least 8 legs, which include a spider, crab, and centipede. Other forms she could take in the future include a tick, lobster, millipede, and other various species of crab. Too bad scorpion was already taken.

Last edited:
I always thought Gohma was a crab in Wind Waker, LOZ, Ocarina of Time, etc. I never thought she was a spider until she appeared in Twilight Princess as armagohma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom