• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Discrepancies in the Official Timeline

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Okay, first off, I want to say that I’m a big supporter of the official timeline presented in Hyrule Historia. I believe it makes perfect sense in all areas…….except in a few that I’ll detail below. :) After going over the timeline again (see this link for a detailed overview of the chronology of events: http://www.zeldawiki.org/Zelda_Timeline) I did find a few things that made me a little confused.

I want this thread to revolve around the discrepancies that I present, any that you guys suggest, or ones I have forgotten or am unaware of at this time. Only comment on how to resolve these problems with the assumption that the Hyrule Historia timeline is correct. Don’t discuss the items below with the assumption that the timeline’s not correct.

1. How can the Twinrova sisters exist in the downfall timeline? If it’s assumed that Link is defeated by Ganondorf at the end of Ocarina of Time, then that insists that Link still killed Twinrova. So if Twinrova is defeated, how can they come back to life and try to revive Ganon in Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages? Are they reincarnated? Is there something I’m not aware of?

2. In the child timeline, Link warns princess Zelda about Ganondorf and he is captured and kept in prison. As is detailed in Twilight Princess, during his execution the seven sages realize with surprise that Ganondorf possesses the Triforce of Power! How did he obtain the Triforce of Power if he never broke into the sacred realm?

3. What is the “dark world” featured in Four Swords Adventures? It shouldn’t be the sacred realm, as the sacred realm was protected after Ganondorf is captured per Link’s warning. And, I don’t remember Ganon trying to enter the sacred realm in FSA. Also, the Triforce leaves Ganondorf at the end of Twilight Princess (meaning his FSA reincarnation couldn't have possessed it) . What’s up with all this. Is it the sacred realm, the twilight realm, or something new?

4. Many people have pointed out that Ganon from the Oracle games exists in his ‘ganon’ form without the Triforce of Power. Many would argue that his trident in the Oracle games is the powerful trident featured in Four Swords Adventures (a trident with enough power to create Ganon from Ganondorf). However, this is impossible due to FSA’s placement in the other timeline. How do you think Ganon exists in his ‘pig’ form without the Triforce?

Are there any more I’m forgetting?
Again, please discuss these topics with the assumption that the new timeline is official and correct. I’m not concerned with debating this timeline’s credibility, only in resolving the problems I’ve listed above in the context of the new timeline.

In Twilight Princess, The Ancient Sages state that he had been blessed with the Triforce by a "Divine Prank."

This means, to me, that the Gods gave the Triforce to Ganondorf. Their reasons may not be clear, but this is how it came off to me.

Subzerostupid

Subzerostupid
I am making a linear timeline, but don't worry, I won't argue about timelines here. The relevance is that I had the same twinrova problem. I have two possible solutions on this count:
One, twinrova goes through a sort of natural resurrection ('i'll come back to haunt you' - twinrova's last words in OoT) and become fully formed again.
Two, because they didn't explode into dust, like most enemies in OoT, they merely became spirit-like with halos etc., maybe they return in their spirit-y forms.
Alternatively, in the case of hyrule Historia, because ganon was still alive, there is a chance that either before the sages sealed him or during LttP, ganon was able to resurrect them before OoX. That's the only one I can help with, other than repeating what Akaraimaru said above, because I haven't played OoX or FSA. Hope this helps.

Batman

In Twilight Princess, The Ancient Sages state that he had been blessed with the Triforce by a "Divine Prank."

This means, to me, that the Gods gave the Triforce to Ganondorf. Their reasons may not be clear, but this is how it came off to me.

You are right! I had completely forgotten about that. Thank you for reminding me. Question 2 is solved.

Subzerostupid said:
One, twinrova goes through a sort of natural resurrection ('i'll come back to haunt you' - twinrova's last words in OoT) and become fully formed again.

I think this is probably correct. I remember them saying that. As magical witches they probably have the ability to come back to life when they need to. I don't think they would say "I'll come back to haunt you" if they couldn't in reality. Thanks.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?

Well...that's not EXACTLY true. They say "By some divine prank..." I think this more implies it just seemed like it to them rather than it actually was one. Think about it. The gods wouldn't give the most evil man in the world the Triforce of Power as a practical joke.

Subzerostupid

Subzerostupid
Well...that's not EXACTLY true. They say "By some divine prank..." I think this more implies it just seemed like it to them rather than it actually was one. Think about it. The gods wouldn't give the most evil man in the world the Triforce of Power as a practical joke.

This is what I thought, but eight the hyrule Historia timeline, it's the only explanation. What if the goddesses gave it to him because they had planned for the events of TP to happen, but because it was disrupted by the creation of the child timeline, they had to give ganon the ToP so their plans could be fulfilled?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I think one of three things happened:
1. The state of the Triforce is consistent along a line perpendicular to the flow of time, meaning when it splits in OoT's AT it also splits in the CT at the same time.
2. When Link went back in time after defeating Ganondorf in OoT, the ToX saw that he had received the ToC, and 'glitched' itself into thinking that the ToW and ToP must also be distributed.
3. Zelda went to 'check' on the ToX after Link told her about the AT, and she touched it. (Though I don't know how she'd get the ToW after doing a stupid thing like that.)
I think #2's most likely. They did make it a point to show Link's ToC on the child ending of OoT. (Though it may have simply been the crest, like in AoL or OoX, and not the actual ToC.)

About your second predicament; maybe Ganondorf has conquered time, much like Demise in SS, since Ganondorf is most likely Demise reincarnate.

2.In the child timeline, Link warns princess Zelda about Ganondorf and he is captured and kept in prison. As is detailed in Twilight Princess, during his execution the seven sages realize with surprise that Ganondorf possesses the Triforce of Power! How did he obtain the Triforce of Power if he never broke into the sacred realm?

OoT tells us that if one who touches the Triforce is not balance, the Triforce will separate leaving only one piece for the one touched it, the other two pieces going to ones chosen by the goddesses. In this instance Ganon touched it and caused the split leaving him the ToP with the ToW/ToC going to Zelda and Link respectively. That's in the adult timeline. However, in the child timeline no one has touched the Triforce yet Link has the mark on the back of his hand in Zelda's courtyard and as we see in Twilight Princess so too does Ganon.

Hyrule Historia (translated by glitterberri) explains pg 110: "The proof of courage was carried on the back of Link’s hand. Since Ganondorf was sealed away with the Triforce of Power, the Triforce remained with the chosen ones of the Gods"

From this I assume that when Link returns with the proof courage, it causes the Triforce to split in the child timeline- ToW goes to Zelda and the ToP goes to Ganon (unknowingly). It's still kind of confusing, and I may not be interpreting it right.

OoT tells us that if one who touches the Triforce is not balance, the Triforce will separate leaving only one piece for the one touched it, the other two pieces going to ones chosen by the goddesses. In this instance Ganon touched it and caused the split leaving him the ToP with the ToW/ToC going to Zelda and Link respectively. That's in the adult timeline. However, in the child timeline no one has touched the Triforce yet Link has the mark on the back of his hand in Zelda's courtyard and as we see in Twilight Princess so too does Ganon.

Hyrule Historia (translated by glitterberri) explains pg 110: "The proof of courage was carried on the back of Link’s hand. Since Ganondorf was sealed away with the Triforce of Power, the Triforce remained with the chosen ones of the Gods"

From this I assume that when Link returns with the proof courage, it causes the Triforce to split in the child timeline- ToW goes to Zelda and the ToP goes to Ganon (unknowingly). It's still kind of confusing, and I may not be interpreting it right.

If I am right your saying that Link received the TFofC from the AT when Ganon touched it, and when he goes back in time to create the CT he keeps that TF piece thus causing the TF to split in the CT and appear to the others meant to wield it. IE Zelda got Wisdom and Ganon got Power. If so that makes perfect sense.

It's also kind of sad, the HoT unknowingly opened the Sacred realm in the AT allowing Ganon to get the TF and then after correcting that goes back in time and unknowingly gives it back the Ganon which would cause a mess that TP Link would have to correct! So the poor guy messed up twice. That doesn't even cover the alternate timeline where he fails to stop Ganon. It's kind of amazing that one game created so many different timelines.

Batman

Locke said:
2. When Link went back in time after defeating Ganondorf in OoT, the ToX saw that he had received the ToC, and 'glitched' itself into thinking that the ToW and ToP must also be distributed.

Fierce Deity said:

This makes a lot of sense. I was thinking that Ganondorf possessing the ToP was just the work of the goddesses for some unknown reason, but I'm beginning to think they meant the "divine prank" thing metaforically, as SNOlink said above.

Then again, the mark on Link's hand at the end of OoT could just be a symbol, and TP Ganondorf's possession of the ToP really was some divine intervention. Who knows. Perhaps there will always be some mysteries in the series, even with a complete timeline. That's probably for the best. I would really like to get my hands on an english version of Hyrule Historia though.

You guys are pretty smart. Keep it up!

Last edited:

I completely disagree, the Gods seem to relish in the wars than ensue due to the Golden Power. Maybe they made the Triforce to watch the races as part of their entertainment?

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I completely disagree, the Gods seem to relish in the wars than ensue due to the Golden Power. Maybe they made the Triforce to watch the races as part of their entertainment? -Akaraimaru

How do you think that? We don't actually see the gods and their reactions. Also, remember what Zelda/Hylia said in Skyward Sword?

It's impossible to know the true reason why the old gods created the Triforce. But I have a theory of my own. The gods created the Triforce, yet they specifically designed it so that their own kind could never use it's power. Somehow, I think it may have been their way of giving hope to all the mortal beings of the land. -Zelda/Hylia

If the old gods made it for their own entertainment, why would Zelda/Hylia think that?

It's impossible to know the true reason why the old gods created the Triforce.

That just nullifies all arguments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom