• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Discovery Channel might actually be Relevant again

Djinn

and Tonic
http://www.inquisitr.com/1741941/ne...ck-science-and-discovery/#Gcu31RKJzsvco5xq.99

The Discovery Channel’s new boss, Rich Ross, spoke with reporters and TV critics today at Winter TV press Tour 2015, and immediately won the room over by promising to move the venerable cable channel away from its current style of programming, Deadline is reporting.

Rich Ross admitted to TV critics today that The Discovery Channel’s main focus of late has been on pseudo-scientific schlock like “Megalodon: The New Evidence” and not one, but two fake-mermaid documentaries – and vaguely-scientific-sounding, scripted “reality” programs like “Finding Bigfoot” or “Sons of Guns.”

“It’s not whether I’m a fan of it. I don’t think it’s right for Discovery Channel, and think it’s something that has run its course. They’ve done very well… but I don’t think it’s something that’s right for us.”

Perhaps no moment better demonstrated The Discovery Channel’s slide from highbrow scientific programming made accessible to the average cable viewer, to poorly made programs such as the Eaten Alive special, which was supposed to be about a man being eaten alive by a snake but turned out to be about no such thing. The show brought angry reactions from fans, and Ross considers it an embarrassment for The Discovery Channel‘s brand, according to The San Diego Union Tribune.

“I don’t believe you’ll be seeing a person eaten by a snake during my time.”

Although light on specifics as of this post, Ross’ plans for The Discovery Channel‘s new direction seems to include two main goals.

The first will be an end to live stunts, such as Nik Wallenda’s tightrope walks, according to Variety.

“We can do things that are live, but we don’t have to make it as much of a sideshow (type) event.”

The second goal is a focus on authentic documentaries, with the key word being “authentic.” To that end, Ross has brought on acclaimed documentarian John Hoffman as Executive Vice President of Documentaries and Specials. Hoffman has a proven track record of producing award-winning documentaries for HBO.

The Discovery Channel’s new direction under Rich Ross is playing out in microcosm this Saturday night with the return of Mythbusters, one of Discovery’s most popular shows. The show returns for a new season with a reduced cast, a “new vibe,” and a focus that brings the show back to its educational roots, according to executive producer Dan Tapster.

Are you sad to see the mermaids, megalodons, Bigfoot, tightrope walks, and man-eating snakes leaving The Discovery Channel under its new boss? Sound off in the comments below.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1741941/ne...ck-science-and-discovery/#Q2yU1kMl5voULhyl.99

Soo....no more reality shows where I Discover nothing at all except how to change the channel? I hope this is true@! But what about all those ridiculous fantasy documentaries like searching for mermaids, aliens, and psychic children!

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
Freaking finally! I've been disappointed with Discovery Channel's brand of programming over the years, especially concerning their mistreatment of Shark Week.

I remember when it was actually educational and promoted shark awareness, and not broadcast fake, melodramatic documentaries about Megalodon and... what was the big hook last year, the Shark of Darkness? Broadcasting which shark is the most likely to attack you, should you be swimming in the water?

Just sad, really. But I have faith in this guy to turn things around. And like Heroine of Winds said, I hope other channels will follow suit, namely the History channel.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Personally I get pretty tired of all the auction hunters, Alaska programs (last frontier, yukon survival etc etc) and hotrod and all these other car programs and the reruns. Discovery used to be very interesting but the last couple of years it's a big joke. Time for some good programs which make sense instead of NO SENSE or NONSENS

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
I'm still waiting for Animal Planet to go back to being a channel about pets and wildlife. You know, ANIMALS. ...ANIMAL PLANET...

And yes, humans are animals, but we have ENOUGH channels about humans. I'm just tired of seeing a channel about wildlife being turned into a channel about building tree-houses, aquariums, and fictitious superstitions & folklore. Sure "Tanked" is about fish tanks, but lets face it- It doesn't focus on the fish. It focuses on the people and building stuff... That should go on the DIY network or SOMETHING that pertains to building. Same goes for the Treehouse show. And Finding Bigfoot should be on SciFi or something. Even "Discovery", if they actually could discover something. You know where all those 'haunted house' camera crew-type shows go? Like- the cheesy ones that are always made fun of? (like the fictional 'Ghostfacers' mock show that is in the world of Supernatural? - yes, a [FAKE]show within a real show)... Anyway, like those cheesy ghost shows, Finding Bigfoot should be there as well. - IMO

I'm still waiting for Animal Planet to go back to being a channel about pets and wildlife. You know, ANIMALS. ...ANIMAL PLANET...

^This. I'm an animal lover, so seeing a channel decaying into less of a network about animals disgusts me. Besides, you don't know how many times I get tired of seeing that dumb pit bull show on everyday despite not being about pit bulls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom