• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Disappointment in Wii Virtual Console

Today I bought some Wii Points, downloaded Donkey Kong Country 2 and plugged in the Gamecube pad to play. Here are three things that annoyed me:

1) Wii Points are pointless. Just let me pay for what I want, not waste time accruing virtual dollars, at least some of which I will probably never use.
2) Gamecube button layout hasn't been mapped properly to the SNES. Such a basic piece of programming to consider, and one can only conclude that Nintendo do this deliberately to encourage you to to purchase the Classic Controller

but mostly
3) There is a satisfaction to be gained from hooking up an old console, dusting off and slotting in a cartridge that is missing from VC. Of course this is more expensive, but to me is definitely worth it in the long run

/rant

I do agree with point #1 and 3 but if you are annoyed by the GC controller, you should get the classic controller.

jugglaj91

I am me....
They layout of the buttons on the GCN controller could never match the layout of the SNES controller. Besides, the wii is programmed to read the buttons as they are on the controller, and would cause a lot of confusion in gamers if B were to suddenly be A or any of the other A,B,X, or Y buttons. Wii Points have always been useless, but the easiest to convert around, 100 points = 1 US dollar, same as 100 pennies equal a dollar. Lastly, if you have an old system laying around with the games you want to play, why are you even bothering with the VC for such games?

it's understandable about how you feel about the GC's butten layout i had the same problem the first time when i was playing Super Mario World, the run butten is too far away from the normal jump butten, what they should have done was add a feature that lets you map the commands to the buttens on your own so it works for you, but trust me the moment you get a classic controller everything feels right again, but if there's one thing i don't like regarding this is that the Super Mario Bros. 25th anniversery is just Super Mario All-Star with no changes, not only that but it's the version that doesn't have Super Mario World, this is something that should have been released for the virtual console because it was on the Super Nintendo, not a full $50 disk

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
These complaints seem pitiful. Your satisfaction for hooking up old consoles says one thing. DON'T PLAY IT ON THE WII! PLAY IT ON THE ACTUAL CONSOLE! Nintendo didn't think ahead and think, "Hey, one day we are going to make a huge archive of old games, so lets make every single console controller the same." I know many people on here have Xboxes and they don't complain about the points on there, so why should you. /rant ended.

To be fair, I thought I'd give VC a go, even though I do enjoy the feel of playing it on an old console.

I'm not asking them to make the controllers the same, but as ZoraDeadpool pointed out a simple feature to remap the controls would have solved the problem. And no it's not pitiful for a paying customer to make complaints of a product. It's in their interest to make it as good as possible.

I dunno if I'll invest in a Classic controller. I own a SNES and an N64 so unless I plan on buying some VC games on the other systems it doesn't seem worth it just for DKC2. And as I said it's more fun doing retro gaming properly.

Edit: Which is the best Classic to get, the newer Black one with the prongs or the older White one?

I feel kind of irritated in that I spent ten dollars to get 1000 Wii points, then tried to buy Ocarina of Time. It turned out you had to have the old controller. Couldn't they have made that clearer earlier on? Before you had already spent the money?

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
I feel kind of irritated in that I spent ten dollars to get 1000 Wii points, then tried to buy Ocarina of Time. It turned out you had to have the old controller. Couldn't they have made that clearer earlier on? Before you had already spent the money?

Umm... They do? You click on it and it says, "Compatible with [ Insert controller here ] in this case it would show a pic of the gamecube controller and the classic controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom