• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors Disappointing Calamity

• Thread starter Deleted member 91332
  • Start date

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
*sigh* It's an alternate timeline where the original story is changed. I don't know how to make that clearer. The pre-Terrako events are all the same except for Link not having the Master Sword. That doesn't make sense.
Time travel does not automatically mean contradiction; there's time-traveling in OOT, the Oracle games, etc that further the original story without contradicting the past.
It's not just time travel in this case. It's time travel caused by a Triforce wish. Zelda's sealing power is the complete Triforce, and when she used it to protect Link, she wished deep in her heart to protect everyone, hence "I must protect... everyone!" But there was no one left to protect, so the Triforce granted her wish the only way it could; by birthing a new world in an alternative timeline, and it used Terrako to do it. That's why it's a different world. That's why its an au.

It's not just time travel in this case. It's time travel caused by a Triforce wish. Zelda's sealing power is the complete Triforce, and when she used it to protect Link, she wished deep in her heart to protect everyone, hence "I must protect... everyone!" But there was no one left to protect, so the Triforce granted her wish the only way it could; by birthing a new world in an alternative timeline, and it used Terrako to do it. That's why it's a different world. That's why its an au.
Terrako wanted to protect Zelda when he woke up because he loved her, not because Zelda wished him to. Yes, her power woke him up but he acts on his own. He's a Guardian who can time-travel, brought Sidon, Yunobo, Riju, and Teba to the past without Zelda asking. The "Triforce wish" isn't mentioned anywhere in AOC, it's pure fan theory and speculation. It's not just Zelda's power and wishes that gives Terrako strength, but her literal tears.
Even if what you said is true, why would Zelda want Terrako to save her in an alternate timeline/world? Terrako wanted to save the original Zelda, hence him going back a hundred years into the past.
I state again, Link should've had the Master Sword. It makes no sense for him not to and nothing else to be changed pre-alternate Calamity.
Let's agree to disagree. :D I can tell I'm not going to change your mind, and I'm going to stick with what's presented in BOTW and AOC. It's a good explanation you have, but can be contradicted on many points.
You see AOC as complete AU, not time-travel changing the events of the original story. And I'd say that's fair enough, what with the crucial story aspect of Link already having the Master Sword being retconned. I agree, AOC's "canon-ness" to BOTW can be questioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Terrako wanted to protect Zelda when he woke up because he loved her, not because Zelda wished him to. Yes, her power woke him up but he acts on his own. He's a Guardian who can time-travel, brought Sidon, Yunobo, Riju, and Teba to the past without Zelda asking. The "Triforce wish" isn't mentioned anywhere in AOC, it's pure fan theory and speculation. It's not just Zelda's power and wishes that gives Terrako strength, but her literal tears.
Even if what you said is true, why would Zelda want Terrako to save her in an alternate timeline/world? Terrako wanted to save the original Zelda, hence him going back a hundred years into the past.
I state again, Link should've had the Master Sword. It makes no sense for him not to and nothing else to be changed pre-alternate Calamity.
Let's agree to disagree. :D I can tell I'm not going to change your mind, and I'm going to stick with what's presented in BOTW and AOC. It's a good explanation you have, but can be contradicted on many points.
You see AOC as complete AU, not time-travel changing the events of the original story. And I'd say that's fair enough, what with the crucial story aspect of Link already having the Master Sword being retconned. I agree, AOC's "canon-ness" to BOTW can be questioned.
Zelda's wish wasn't a conscious one. The Triforce itself responded to her feelings. That's what her sealing power literally is. Her sealing power is the complete Triforce. This is the case in both BotW and AoC, and it is explicitly shown to be this. That part isn't speculation. Terrako did indeed do everything he did for Zelda's sake, but he was only able to do it because of the Triforce's magic. That's what made all of this possible in the first place. Whether Terrako had these abilities to begin with and he was found by Zelda and her mother while out exploring and she just repaired him, or whether Zelda made him from scratch with all these abilities as a 5 year old girl, or whether the Triforce enhanced Terrako's abilities to carry out Zelda's unconscious wish... It's not clear exactly which one is true, but whatever the case, he didn't activate and gain this purpose until Zelda's sealing power, which is the complete Triforce, activated. I think that makes it pretty clear.

Also, Link not having the Master Sword is not the only thing that's different. He had already met Daruk long before they became Champions in BotW, but in AoC, Chapter 2 was their first meeting. Same goes for him and Zelda; in BotW they didn't meet until Link had become a Champion and earned a post as her personal guard, which he earned by deflecting a Guardian laser with a pot lid during a failed test. There's a lot more than just Link not having the Master Sword right away as evidence for it being a complete au. I'll state again; the discrepancies between histories are the proof of this. AoC has a different history from BotW on purpose.

Zelda's wish wasn't a conscious one. The Triforce itself responded to her feelings. That's what her sealing power literally is. Her sealing power is the complete Triforce. This is the case in both BotW and AoC, and it is explicitly shown to be this. That part isn't speculation. Terrako did indeed do everything he did for Zelda's sake, but he was only able to do it because of the Triforce's magic. That's what made all of this possible in the first place. Whether Terrako had these abilities to begin with and he was found by Zelda and her mother while out exploring and she just repaired him, or whether Zelda made him from scratch with all these abilities as a 5 year old girl, or whether the Triforce enhanced Terrako's abilities to carry out Zelda's unconscious wish... It's not clear exactly which one is true, but whatever the case, he didn't activate and gain this purpose until Zelda's sealing power, which is the complete Triforce, activated. I think that makes it pretty clear.

Also, Link not having the Master Sword is not the only thing that's different. He had already met Daruk long before they became Champions in BotW, but in AoC, Chapter 2 was their first meeting. Same goes for him and Zelda; in BotW they didn't meet until Link had become a Champion and earned a post as her personal guard, which he earned by deflecting a Guardian laser with a pot lid during a failed test. There's a lot more than just Link not having the Master Sword right away as evidence for it being a complete au. I'll state again; the discrepancies between histories are the proof of this. AoC has a different history from BotW on purpose.

Terrako creating a made-up world to save a different Zelda than the one he wanted to protect still doesn't make sense. He went back in time pre-Calamity to save the Zelda who awoken her power in the beginning of the game. To prevent her experiencing what she did, the prologue, aka, the canonical scene in BOTW where Zelda awakens her power protecting Link.
King Rhoam tells Link to keep an eye on the "time-traveling Guardian", hence Terrako altering scenes and events like the cutscenes with the Champions, the courses Link and Zelda took, etc.
I agree, it is fishy how Link wasn't already acquainted with Daruk before meeting him, but it isn't clear in Daruk's diary in BOTW how far back they met. It could've been a few months before Zelda recruited him, which could easily fit into AOC's timeframe, so I don't consider that hardcore proof of an alternate history like Link not having the Master Sword.
What's your theory for Link not having his sword in this "alternate history" Hyrule that Terrako went back to, and nothing else being changed?
The "creating a new world" explanation in AOC is the only thing that could support your theory, besides the blatant contradiction of Link not having the sword, but the story is still presented as one of time-travel from the beginning.
Also, why do you think Revali got upset when finding out Link was Zelda's knight despite other knights being assigned to her, despite there being no proof at that point that Link was the Chosen One?
It's especially weird when Daruk and Mipha discuss not knowing who the chosen knight is, when Revali apparently does.
Well, I never thought of Terrako literally creating an alternate Hyrule with alternate history when going back in time. The story doesn't suggest that, really. But again, I do think it's a good theory to explain all the plotholes in AoC, and I'm glad I heard it from you. :zelda:I just can't stand when Nintendo retcons things.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator

Terrako creating a made-up world to save a different Zelda than the one he wanted to protect still doesn't make sense. He went back in time pre-Calamity to save the Zelda who awoken her power in the beginning of the game. To prevent her experiencing what she did, the prologue, aka, the canonical scene in BOTW where Zelda awakens her power protecting Link.
King Rhoam tells Link to keep an eye on the "time-traveling Guardian", hence Terrako altering scenes and events like the cutscenes with the Champions, the courses Link and Zelda took, etc.
I agree, it is fishy how Link wasn't already acquainted with Daruk before meeting him, but it isn't clear in Daruk's diary in BOTW how far back they met. It could've been a few months before Zelda recruited him, which could easily fit into AOC's timeframe, so I don't consider that hardcore proof of an alternate history like Link not having the Master Sword.
What's your theory for Link not having his sword in this "alternate history" Hyrule that Terrako went back to, and nothing else being changed?
The "creating a new world" explanation in AOC is the only thing that could support your theory, but the story is still presented as one of time-travel from the beginning.
Also, why do you think Revali got upset when finding out Link was Zelda's knight despite other knights being assigned to her, despite there being no proof at that point that Link was the Chosen One?
It's especially weird when Daruk and Mipha discuss not knowing who the chosen knight is, when Revali apparently does.
Well, I never thought of Terrako literally creating an alternate Hyrule with alternate history when going back in time. The story doesn't suggest that, really. But again, I do think it's a good theory to explain all the plotholes in AoC, and I'm glad I heard it from you. :zelda:I just can't stand when Nintendo retcons things.
I think the main thing about Link not having the Master Sword already is because his history as a person is also different. In BotW, his father was a respected member of the royal guard, yet we never saw hair nor hide of him in AoC, and that did disappoint me. I think that, along with the fact that Rhoam refers to Link as a "soldier" in the first mission, implies that Link may have had the blood of the hero, but he didn't exactly have the same royal guard pedigree he had in BotW. That also explains why Revali was angry about Link's involvement. He kept referring to Link as a "nobody", which gives credence to how Link may not have come from a royal guard family this time. Revali didn't want some no-name rookie leading a bunch of experienced fighters. That's why he had such an attitude. So Link having a different backstory than he had in BotW is more evidence of this being an au.

I think the main thing about Link not having the Master Sword already is because his history as a person is also different. In BotW, his father was a respected member of the royal guard, yet we never saw hair nor hide of him in AoC, and that did disappoint me. I think that, along with the fact that Rhoam refers to Link as a "soldier" in the first mission, implies that Link may have had the blood of the hero, but he didn't exactly have the same royal guard pedigree he had in BotW. That also explains why Revali was angry about Link's involvement. He kept referring to Link as a "nobody", which gives credence to how Link may not have come from a royal guard family this time. Revali didn't want some no-name rookie leading a bunch of experienced fighters. That's why he had such an attitude. So Link having a different backstory than he had in BotW is more evidence of this being an au.
King Rhoam calls Link "soldier" because he's literally a soldier... It doesn't imply anything; he impressed King Rhoam with how well he did in that first misson. He has some favoritism of him, but it's never explained why.
Link's bio in-game literally says he's "born to a line of imperial guards", so his backstory is the same in that at least.
Revali calls Link "some knight" in his diary in BOTW, implying that he still sees him as a nobody despite Zelda telling him he had the Master Sword.
Remember the Sheikah Bard from BOTW? Kass says he fumed about Zelda having feelings for Link despite the latter not being of "noble" birth. And Creating A Champion straight-out says Link's rising in the ranks may have caused tongues to cluck with regard to his lower background.
I mean, I still think AoC may be a complete AU with different history, but we shouldn't ignore what's presented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom