• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Difficulty System..

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I think a difficulty system is something that should perhaps be considered for a future game. I'm not sure it fits Skyward Sword and I think it has already been confirmed that there will not be one, however, a difficulty system does enable several things. The game could satisfy a wider audience, it could present more of a challenge and give people the oppertunity to complete all difficulty levels of a game, so they get more out of it.

RoBirk29384 has a good point. :yes: We've always had difficulty levels in Zelda, and they are both completely optional AND customizable all in one, as such, we are not forced to choose from a list! (e.g. Easy, Medium, Hard)
This is my point. Zelda is the phenom of its genre due largely to its accessibility and options. The game can be played in any fashion the player wishes. The 3-heart challenge surfaced due to these options. One is not forced to increase their health, but may choose to do so. In forcing ones hand, as most games today do, you remove something from the gameplay that has made the series as fantastic as it is. A 3-heart challenge mode would remove much of what makes Zelda the franchise it is. As said before, this involves the removal of exploration elements, shifting the genre of the game from Action-Adventure to Action.

Again, I use Metroid: Other M as my example:

Aside from the redundantly bland story telling, it was a solid Metroid game, packed to the gills with everything we love about that classic side scrolling shooter, and the massive amount of exploration involved to experience the game to its fullest. Then there came the Hard Mode, which decided to take everything that made the game a Metroid experience, and tossed it out the window for 5 hours of repetitive "point A to point B" action. Every pick-up had been removed, hightening the difficulty, yes, but taking away the gameplay that, until that point, was essential to the franchise.

Metroid is similar to Zelda, particularly in the fashion of the Prime games, where pick-ups and upgrades are largely optional. A hard mode doesn't need to remove incentive to go off the beaten path, particularly when the option to avoid such power-ups is certainly available to the player for a hightened difficulty, customized by each individual. Much like Other M's hard mode turned the game into Metroid meets Ninja Gaiden, the inclusion of a forced 3-heart challenge hard mode to Zelda would create a similar tension, pulling Zelda away from the genre it has defined.

Off topic: To whoever gave me bad rep for my thought out opinion, please understand that it is mere opinion, not unlike Axel's post involving his distaste for Operation Moonfall. To disagree is sporting, but to attack one's opinion is just immature.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I still think a option to make enemies, bosses, side quests and puzzles harder should be there.

Skyward Sword is bringing lots of new things so why not this too?
When you start the game you can choose to play Hard, Easy or medium..
Here are my thoughts on how this should work..

Easy -- Enemies are dumb, They deal little damage and your health regenerates.

Medium -- Enemies are Smart, Deal more damage, minor health regen and your shield breaks easier.

Hard -- Enemies can dodge your attacks much easier and deal double the damage they would on medium, No health regen, regular items like the beetle can be destroyed and items cost much more (bombs, arrows..etc)

(After you beat the game on hard)

Insane -- 3 hearts(heart containers don't appear), Enemies can deliver a killing blow that..well kills you, they deal even more damage, Your items cost more to repair, buy and they break much easier than before AND the world is mirrored..

Call me crazy but I just think adding a difficulty wouldn't affect the story at all it would just make the game more fun to play all over again.. I don't see difficultys NOT being Zeldaish since half the community here has beaten a Zelda game with three hearts, and some haven't even been able to beat a certain boss.

Thoughts?

I think difficulty levels in this game is a great idea.:ye
There is no way it would affect the game in a negative way.

Its one thing i wanted to see for a long time.
So many games are either very hard or very easy but you cannot change the difficulty.

Every game should have difficulty levels as people are better than others at games so with difficulty levels everyone will find it a challenge and enjoy the game.
Ive played hundreds of games and what is frustrating they are either so easy you can win them in an hour or so hard you just cannot get anywhere.

I think 3 difficulty settings is just perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom