• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Different Weapons?

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Nintendo has given Link exactly what your looking play OoT or WW and You'll see.

In OoT and WW you have the Megaton and Hammer also in OoT I would consider the Biggoron Sword a great sword.

This game has not a story, it's a legend. It must to preserve the same items so that is the same mytical game forever.

O

Owl

That would be hard to implement with only one wii remote. And if you had two remotes there would be no analog stick. So for the moment probably not. But another primary weapon would be cool.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I would love to see Link with a battle-axe in SS. And, no, I don't think the Wii Motion+ would mess with that one bit. Nintendo could do a remarkable job implementing this.

Kazumi

chagy
Personally I would love to see a number of different weapons make it into Skyward Sword or any other future Zelda game for that matter. While the traditional sword is nice, and the odd Hammer or Great-sword are great, it would be nice to be able to wield a variety of weapons for different times and situations.

I can see that some people don't want Link's core items to be messed with, and they don't want the combat to differ very much from straight sword combat, as that is a staple of the Zelda series and is a particular focus of Skyward Sword. However, and easy solution to that is a system similar to what is in place in games such as Assassin's Creed II/Brotherhood, and to a lesser extent Wind Waker. In AC you have your core items, which similar to Zelda, you gather from a variety of places as you progress forward through the game. However, you can pick up almost any weapon that is dropped by an enemy after you have dispatched them. These include anything from massive two-handed battle axes to brooms. A similar system was in place in Wind Waker, where you could pick up weapons from enemies and temporarily use them for combat or simple puzzle solving. I would like a system like this in Skyward Sword, but better.

Imagine that you have your Master Sword, or whatever sword you have at the time, as your main weapon. That is all good. However, what if you could have something like a secondary weapon. This would be a weapon that you could whip out at any time and use for combat and possibly puzzle solving. A secondary weapon could be picked up from a fallen foe or even purchased at a shop. You would only be able to have one secondary weapon on you at a time, but this would open up the opportunity to have a variety of weapons and items that could be used to spice up the combat and add a lot of variety for those who use it. A feature such as this could also add a new dimension of collectibles, where you can find and store a whole bunch of different types of secondary weapons at your home or an armory of some type. That would be awesome.

Anyway, I think I'm getting ahead of myself. I would love for a variety of different weapons to be included in the next game, however knowing Nintendo that is unlikely to happen. Oh well, a man can dream.

I mean like not items, but weapons you could use instead of the master sword like dual weapons or something

The Master sword is a huge part of Zelda games.
Remember the Master sword is the only weapon that can finish him off.
Its the sword of evil's bane which evil ones may never touch.
This above all weapons is one that must not be taken out.

No harm in putting in new weapons as long as certain ones stay.
For example the Megaton hammer, Bow and arrows,Light arrows,the different tunics,or as they where known in LttP mail.
Ok it was not in MM but that is a different type pf Zelda game and its not about Ganon or Zelda.

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
That would be awesome! I would totally go up against Ganon with a broom. If only we could get Link in a black cloak. (green, black, broom... get it...)

Djinn

and Tonic
So far we have already seen Link use a short sword, longsword, greatsword, several types of hammer, Magic wand, fire rod, ice rod, several kinds of magical arrows, whip, and a ball and chain. There is no shortage in the variety of weapons used throughout the series. Especially when things like bug catching nets and fishing rods can be used as weapons as well.

There have been a few varieties of swords used over the years. However I do not think a katana would be appropriate to the medieval setting of Hyrule. Link carrying twin swords also do not have that heroic knight appeal. Link was never really meant to be a ninja. However in Wind Waker Link was capable of using the various spears and longswords from Moblins and Darknuts. Even though the player could not keep them there was still a time when they were used.
Linkmoblinspear.png

If you are suggesting that a spear or axe be an alternative main weapon for Link to use then I do not think it would work. The standard boradsword and shield combination has that very heroic and iconic look for a legendary warrior or knight in this setting. Plus any other bladed weapon is not really needed when Link already has a broadsword to use. An axe would not be needed since there is nothing it cvan do that cannot already be done with a sword. A spear might be interesting as al alternative medium range weapon but it would require two hands to use leaving Link without a shield in his offhand. While it would not be any more powerful a weapon than a sword like the Biggoron sword, so there would be no extra benefit to having it other than simply having it.

OcarinaSword

Never Give up
Well i hope they dont give him spears because them weapons i dont like and i think it will Take down the master sword thing! :D

So far we have already seen Link use a short sword, longsword, greatsword, several types of hammer, Magic wand, fire rod, ice rod, several kinds of magical arrows, whip, and a ball and chain. There is no shortage in the variety of weapons used throughout the series. Especially when things like bug catching nets and fishing rods can be used as weapons as well.

There have been a few varieties of swords used over the years. However I do not think a katana would be appropriate to the medieval setting of Hyrule. Link carrying twin swords also do not have that heroic knight appeal. Link was never really meant to be a ninja. However in Wind Waker Link was capable of using the various spears and longswords from Moblins and Darknuts. Even though the player could not keep them there was still a time when they were used.
Linkmoblinspear.png

If you are suggesting that a spear or axe be an alternative main weapon for Link to use then I do not think it would work. The standard boradsword and shield combination has that very heroic and iconic look for a legendary warrior or knight in this setting. Plus any other bladed weapon is not really needed when Link already has a broadsword to use. An axe would not be needed since there is nothing it cvan do that cannot already be done with a sword. A spear might be interesting as al alternative medium range weapon but it would require two hands to use leaving Link without a shield in his offhand. While it would not be any more powerful a weapon than a sword like the Biggoron sword, so there would be no extra benefit to having it other than simply having it.
^
This

At will, I don't want to see a change in the types of weapos Link uses. Why have a Blade of Evil's Bane if you could use a Great Axe? Especially in Skyward Sword, the Master Sword is quintessential to the storyline, so diminishing its purpose with the inclusion of new weapons would seem a bit redundant, considering that purpose has always been filled with numerous versitile weapons and devises to add variety, not only to combat, but puzzle solving as well. The ability to pick up enemy weapons was a wonderful inclusion in Wind Waker, mainly due to the lack of perminence in their use. Once finished, all one would do is simply throw that weapon away. The inclusion of a hammer has worked before due to the different and limited styles of its use in combat compared to the more accessable sword, as well as its use in puzzle solving elements as an item in your inventory.

One feature previously seen through the Zelda series that I would enjoy in Skyward Sword is the ability, through sidequests, to aquire and/or forge a single, more powerful weapon than the Master Sword. This is reminiscent of the quests involved to reforge the Biggoron Sword in Ocarina of Time or the quests to temper your sword in A Link to the Past or in Majora's Mask with gold powder. Of the many quests throughout the Zelda series, none are more rewarding than the journey to obtain the most powerful weapon in the game. Twilight Princess lacked that quest, refusing to even allow us the use of Light Arrows until Zelda prays to the Light Spirits for them during the final battle.

If brought to fruition, the inclusion of these features from previous titles could satisfy your taste for new weapons, but to simply give Link the option to forswear the Master Sword in place of a katana seems absurd from the core of what makes Zelda unique.

DLC

Soul Drummer.

Linkmoblinspear.png

Actually, a broadsword is two handed. get your weapons straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom