• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did your parents monitor what you watched when you were young?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Have your parents/guardians ever regulated what you were allowed to watch when you were a kid? Or did they not care as much and you basically were free to watch anything on TV? If they did regulate what you watched, at what point did they start to loosen up on it?

Ninja

Well well well
My parents never really regulated what media or games I consumed. I was very grateful for it because having those options available discouraged me from WANTING to watch more risqué material.

Same thing goes for video games as well.

Yeah, pretty much until I was 16-17, I wasn't allowed to watch anything with the slightest reference to magic or paranormal stuff.

I never really shared what kind of games I played, so I was free to play Zelda, but Pokemon was off-limits till my mom eased up on that sort of stuff.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I wasn't allowed to watch The Simpson or any of the Seth Mcfarlane adult cartoons like Family Guy. I also wasn't allowed to watch the Saw films.

Other than that though, they weren't super strict. I remember watching one of the American Pie films with my dad when I was quite young, and several gory horror movies with my parents. Me and my sister played Quake II a lot, though if feel like if shooter games back then were as detailed as they are now that may not have been able to fly.

Sex scenes in movies? My parents didn't care. Blood and gore and scary scenes? Totally fine. Violent video games? I mean I only had Quake II to judge, but probably would have been fine. But a fun cartoon about a family with some adult humour someone of my age wouldn't have even gotten? Absolutely not ok!

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
They mostly were. I remember them letting me watch South Park when I was only 5 or so (though that was more or less an exception rather than the norm), but usually they'd forbid me from watching anything that was rated 18A or above, or playing anything rated M. I kinda just got used to it and didn't really bother trying to access anything that they wouldn't approve of. They ended up finally easing off that when I was 16, where they got a bunch of M rated games for me for my birthday (even including GTA IV, lol).

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Oh no they didn’t. I was watching South Park in 1st grade. In second grade, I learned what a “****ing *****” was. Luckily I have somehow grown up to be a young, caring and thoughtful individual :)

Only when I was really young & only with stuff like South Park & 2 and a half men. Other than that free watching.

My parents didn't really monitor us, but they made sure that we understood that age ratings were there for a reason, and they wouldn't let us watch/play stuff that was rated above our age when they were around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom