• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did You Set Your Expectations too High?

Did you set your expectations to high for Skyward Sword?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No. Whenever there's a game I want that's in development, I try to ignore any information being released other then one or two trailers and a release date. That way, I can't expect anything if I don't know what's it going to be about. Plus, it will be a nice surprise when it will happen for me.

Yep definitely. Skyward Sword really disappointed me due to poor design decisions that could have been fixed very easily. The most obvious problem was the bug/treasure notifications, but there were plenty of others such as slow text speed and the fact that Hero Mode is only playable as a second playthrough despite how Master Quest in OOT 3d is a second mode (meaning you have to play through the regular quest to get to hero mode instead of being able to choose to play it). Having no video game design knowledge whatsoever, I'm still confident that given two weeks and a team of programmers that I could have made Skyward Sword noticeably better than it is.

^This is basically how I feel.

Skyward Sword was in no way a bad game, and in no way a bad Zelda game, but I was expecting more. This thread is based off of my expectations and I set them to high standards for all the hype this game created in the Nintendo community. Almost every element in a video games design dissapointed me based off of my original expectations. The only two things that didn't dissapoint me were the motion controls and the story line. The relationship between Link and Zelda, the character development of Groose, Demise, it was all perfect to me and lived up to what I originally hoped for.

The motion controls lived up to my original standards, and then some. My original standards for the motion controls was, well, pretty crappy. I didn't think they were going to be implemented very well at all and it was going to be a hassle getting through the combat mechanic of the game. What I got was completley different. While I still think motion controls suck and shouldn't be used, SS delievered the motion controls in the best way possible.

Jetaluski7

Master Swordsman
During the time I heard about Skyward Sword, I had just finished Ocarina of Time. Knowing that Ocarina of Time was the best game in the series, I decided not to set my expectations too high. Then I played Majora's Mask which was better than I expected. I then set my expectations a bit higher. Skyward Sword definitely exceeded my expectations. It was a lot longer than I expected it to be, butit was also easier. I loved the story which was also different from what I expected. Overall, I think my expectations were too low rather than too high.

Kazumi

chagy
I actually don't think that I set my expectations too high. In the month of so coming up the release, I really just ignored all of the Zelda news. It wasn't even the fact that I wanted to stay spoiler free or anything, I simply wasn't really feeling it at the time. I knew that I would enjoy Skyward Sword to at least some extent, no matter how it turned out simply because it was a Zelda game. Because of this, I didn't really think about it much. Once I finally did play the game, I thought it was good, but not amazing. I wasn't expecting it to be the best game of all time, or even the best Zelda of all time. I knew what Nintendo's recent track-record had been, so I set my almost non-existent expectations as such. In fact, I was somewhat surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did.

So no, I don't think I set my expectations too high.

Dark Princess

Weeaboo :D
Although I haven't beaten it yet, I've noticed a few disappointments...I was hoping this game would be perfect, but it hasn't been so far in my opinion. I'm very disappointed by not being able to roam around a large field. I was also thinking Fi would be this amazing magical being. And yeah, she kinda is, but she didn't impress me. Really, she just Navi'd me. >.<; I know there have been things that have really disappointed me, but I can't think of them... I'll try to remember to edit this to add more. :P

GoldenGengle64

A v ^ A v ^
No, I don't think I set my expectations too high... if anything they were too low! I was excited for the game, but I was a little anxious to see how the whole skydiving and creepy pale guy in tights was going to work out. The game FAR exceeded my expectations :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom