• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did You Like the Voltorb Flip in Pokemon HG/SS?

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
Instead of having the usual slot machines in the game corner, the non-Japanese versions of HG/SS have this new minigame that is a cross between picross and minesweeper. When I first heard about this, I thought it was ridiculous that they put it in. In the European Platinum, they had game machines. Basically you kept pressing A until you received coins. This was due to a law that was made by the European Union, which had nothing to do with the US. This new minigame was put in so Nintendo didn't promote gambling. The ten years of Pokemon games with slots don't count apparantly. After I played it, I found it to be both extremely addicting and much better than the slots. Though I was a bit disappointed that you couldn't buy game coins, getting all the coins I needed was much more fun.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
It's addicting/fun but it's hard. It's all about probability but it seems like 90% of the time the statistically best decision is the wrong decision and then when you decide to go with the least likely choice that's wrong too. It's an impossible code to crack and everything worth buying with the coins requires a TON of coins and it would take forever to get those coins.

If I could single one the one bad thing about HG and SS, it would be that stupid game. The traditional game corners are soooo much better. Normally though, I wouldn't have minded. I rarely play the actual slots anyway. But why on earth take out the option to just buy coins? I'm not going to waste my time with that stupid game getting 9999 coins for that Porygon. Worst decision in Pokemon since having two different bikes in RSE.

hsb39

Why so logical?
Like most, I would be OK if it weren't for the fact that you couldn't buy coins. Good thing I still have the other games for that! When it comes to the game, my main objection is that sometimes your logic just can't help, it's a decision between two or more choices. And most competitive players know what happens when you leave something to luck.

Kybyrian

I never really went to the game corner in any of the games, anyway. I thought that this was a lot worse than the old slot machines and whatever, but hey, it isn't extremely bad. Like others, I wish you could still buy coins, though.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
No. I absolutely despised this game. It was a stupid addition to the game. Why not keep the original Slot Machines? Or even better, just keep in the option to buy coins!
What were they thinking? Who would actually sit there and spend hours trying to accumulate a large amount of coins to buy a Pokemon that could be traded in a few seconds, or could even be caught in the wild. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt Abra one of the Pokemon that can be bought? Abra can be caught early in the game. What's the point of saving up coins to buy it?

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I actually enjoy this. I never played the slots, simply because I didn't like them, but I actually find myself playing this from time to time. Maybe I'll actually be able to buy a prize for once! My only bit abou tnot liking it is that it takes a while to really get any number of coins. I'd have to spend hours playing before I could afford anything!

Kybyrian

No. I absolutely despised this game. It was a stupid addition to the game. Why not keep the original Slot Machines? Or even better, just keep in the option to buy coins!
What were they thinking? Who would actually sit there and spend hours trying to accumulate a large amount of coins to buy a Pokemon that could be traded in a few seconds, or could even be caught in the wild. Correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt Abra one of the Pokemon that can be bought? Abra can be caught early in the game. What's the point of saving up coins to buy it?

Well, you see, there are Abra in the wild, but they will teleport on the first move. You pretty much require a pokemon with mean look or a lucky pokeball to catch it. Plus, if you get a Pokemon with mean look chances are they will be later in the levels, and you won't be able to wear down Abra's HP, thus having to waste Pokeballs until you get lucky with one of them in the process. You might have to find a Pokemon that knows both False Swipe and Mean Look, which I don't know of any that do that, but I'm sure you could find out if you took the time to research it.

Getting Abra here is a convenience to some who actually enjoy playing this game for hours on end from the addictive nature of it.

Kazumi

chagy
I have to say that it was infinitely better then the slot machines. It's such an addictive game, and it really doesn't take long to rack up a ton of coins for things like an Ice Beam TM, which is great for my Feraligatr early in the game.

After a while I didn't even mind that you don't have the option to buy coins, because the game was just so fun, and it was so easy to get them. You just have to think a little and use mathematical reasoning to win. And a bit of luck. But you can easily pray to the God of Luck Based Events to help you through that.

Twili Kid

Many pointless questions
I think it's awesome. I'm glad its diferent then the normal slot machines. I could play it for hours(which I did.) I just kind of wish there was more then one game.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Though the Slot machines have been some sort of staple in the Pokemon series, a new change of mini-games such as this ain't bad. I loved the game, it was like a pokemon-twisted-version of Minesweeper and it was fun playing until you mess up. This mini not only ensures fun for a few turns but also ensures concentration, where as to avoid the voltorb lest you want to loose the mini-game.

The only thing i really hate is that you can no longer buy any coins. It was a bad thing for me, i wanted to spend my money in the game.... And the prizes for the coins you collected? BAH! i rather trade my other items from DPPt and SS just to get them rather than waste 4 days non-stop playing the mini game

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Actually, the card game is present in the American versions too. I for one, think it sucks. It's incredibly hard and there are a couple things worth getting with those coins. But it takes forever to save up a decent amount of them due to the difficulty of the game, and they decided to not let you buy your coins. That ticks me off. If there is one truly bad thing about HG/SS, it's that dang "game".

G

Goron Guru

That blasted game! I loathe it. Can't win for spit. I have to agree with Ver-go-a-go-go; original game corners were waaaay better. It's the only thing that I can find wrong with HeartGold and SoulSilver.

hsb39

Why so logical?
What I would have really liked would have been both, slots in Goldenrod, and Voltorb Flip in Celadon (because they actually give a good explanation for it there).

What I would have really liked would have been both, slots in Goldenrod, and Voltorb Flip in Celadon (because they actually give a good explanation for it there).

Too true. Why not try something new in one place and keep the old in another? I remember getting to Celadon post-game, hoping that it had kept the original slots since I didn't spend much more than 5 minutes in Goldenrod's. Saw one guy sitting at the one table and was instantly disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom