• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Did You Like the Orchestration?

Salem

SICK
Well, this really annoyed me. Orchestral music is done everywhere, I agree with that. But that's because it's grand and has power to it. I'd rather have orchestral music like SS than MIDI trying to be orchestral like in TP. The composition was great in TP, but it sounded awful at times.

About uniqueness, music can use the same instruments but be a different style. Zelda music has a really nice feel to it, something that you don't really hear anywhere else. The music is grand, but always has a connection to you because it's not overly grand, because you're just a kid. Take Skyrim for example, you're the Dragonborn, you know you're powerful so the music reflects that. Link is a character that has just been told to do all these things, so the music often feels like that too. It's quite hard to explain, but I feel it when I play and hear the music.
Just because it is grand or has power to it, doesn't mean they should use it instead of midi music. besides midi music doesn't always have to "imitate" orchestral music, they could throw in something that sounds weird and unique.

My main problem with the orchestral music is that they may restrict themselves to it throughout the whole game and even the "door opened" or "chest opened" jingles were orchestrated as well. why can't these jingle sound... I don't know "gamey" like the older Zelda games? They have a charm to it that the orchestral version of them can't recreate.

Last edited:

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
Just because it is grand or has power to it, doesn't mean they should use it instead of midi music. besides midi music doesn't always have to "imitate" orchestral music, they could throw in something that sounds weird and unique.

My main problem with the orchestral music is that they may restrict themselves to it throughout the whole game and they even the "door opened" or "chest opened" jingles were orchestrated as well. why can't these jingle sound... I don't know "gamey" like the older Zelda games? They have a charm to it that the orchestral version of them can't recreate.

I guess I see what you mean, but there could always be a combination. I don't know how weird it would sound, but eh. Personally, I prefer it being orchestrated because I don't want imitation. But each to their own.

I have to agree with you on this. Quality wise they could not have gotten better. Hearing the instruments clear and having emotion for even the background music is great. next time though I hope that they vary the music up like they did in OOT or WW. they may have had the same instruments but there were different styles present. Oh well maybe it is just me lol.

Although the music in SS will never be as iconic as it predecessors, it was pretty incredible. I thought that the dungeon themes were the most notable improvement because they never got overly repetitive for me compared to those in other games. The overworld themes were good too, especially Faron Woods, but I agree that the stand-out track had to be the Sky theme.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
My main problem with SS' music was that it was not stylistic. It set the mood for places, but very quickly was tuned out. There was mood, but atmosphere was sorely lacking in my opinion. To me, it was like elevator music, rather than game music. It wasn't one with the experience, in other words. Quality was still uber sexy, though. :yes:

Yuki Cross

Attack on Titan~!!!
The music in SS was tied for first as one of the major reasons I loved the game so much. As said before, Nintendo would be better off not to go back to MIDI in my opinion. ^.^

ThrawnTheater

Hylian Grand Admiral
I loved it. Skyward Sword actually contains some of my favorite video game tracks ever. Groose's Theme and Mogma's Theme are my two favorites, and I'd compare those to the quality of some of the top Mega Man tracks.

The music in SS goes past being just video game music and is just... good music. I'm also a musician, so I loved being able to sit back and decipher exactly what type of instruments I was hearing. That's probably one of the reasons I spent about 80 hours on my first play-through. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom