• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did You Like Revisiting the Locations Again in Skyward Sword?

MasterSwordBoy1

Hero of Pie
Did you honestly like revisiting the places you have been before again? (Like for example: Going back to Lanayru Desert and then discover Lanayru Sand Sea) I thought it was a great concept and I hope they put it in again in a future Zelda game. So, what do you think? :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I absolutely disliked revisiting the locations in SS. It felt that Nintendo was shafting us by giving three somewhat dense, but unvaried locations. Instead of revisiting an area to go further into it, I'd much rather we have the entire area open to us upon first landing, and we discover totally different provinces--perhaps offshoots of the base provinces--so as to facilitate more exploration and decent exploration at that. Just my two cents.

Took a while for anyone to ask this...

I didn't like it. I'd have rather the provinces have been smaller and had more varied provinces instead. Instead of the Fire Sanctuary section in Eldin I'd have preferred another province, perhaps an ice province. And instead of having the whole Sand Sea section we could have had a province exclusive to the past, a Re-dead infested wasteland where Demise had held his war against Hylia, that would have been nice...

As it stands though i didn't like going back three times each to the same places, yes, before you say 'we had new areas', I mean same places as in a desert is still a desert, i've still got the familiar colour palette, enemies and field obstructions, i may be doing something a little different but it isn't enough to cure the feeling of boredom and repetition. So no, i didn't like going back, if i go back to a place in Zelda then its usually to explore of my own accord.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Did I like going back to the lands? Yes. Did I like how it was implemented. No. Going back to locations is not inheritly (can't spell) bad. Past Zelda games have done it and I was fine with that. But what you do there makes all the difference. The first revisiting of the locations in SS I was okay with. It was the second revisiting that I have issues with. I stress that one of SS's major problems is that it lacked exploration. By the time you went through each area a third time, you had most likely explored every nook and cranny (if you're a Zelda gamer). There was really no reason to be there anymore other than to keep the story going. And this too wouldn't have been too bad if what the story had you doing didn't feel like padding. I enjoyed the swimming in Faron and the sneaking in Eldin, but they felt unnecessary as though the game was looking for things to give you to do while it set up the last temple. Why am I proving myself to Faron? I'm the freaking chosen hero with all the triforces in me, I shouldn't have to do another challenge! I was curious to see why the volcano decided to suddenly erupt, only to discover it was because Eldin himself was mad. Seriously!?! That's why!?! And why did he wait until now to get mad when his monsters have been here for... never mind, that's a topic for another time. The Lanryu area did this "backtracking" thing better than the other two, giving you even more areas to explore and a relevant activity/story, but even still it wasn't as good as it could've been.

Did I enjoy going back to lands? Yes. It's a video-game, it takes a lot for me not to enjoy it. Do I think it was done well? No. If I have to go back to a land, give me more to explore and make the story make sense. OoT gave me alot to look for as well as a good story to follow and essentially half of the game is re-visiting places you've gone to. Same could be said for other Zelda games. I would love for this method to be brought back in later Zelda games, just not how SS did it.

their are 3 things i do not like in games..Unnecessary padding to make the game longer, protecting a NPC from enemys ( which in SS wasent too bad sense their was only 1 mission that had you do that) while he/she is doing something and Unnecessary back tracking. for me SS had Unnecessary padding that felt should not be in the game such as the 3 Imprisonment battles, and some of the side quests that was for me bland and frustrating ( example the playing the Harp at the lumpy pumpkin), and the back tracking fall into this category of unnecessary padding even if " New areas" were unlocked later in the game i soon got really bored of traveling through the same area just to get some water or other items. maby that's why i like OOT and TP better was because all of the lands were atleast connected together and their was little of unnecessary backtracking in them, and like Random Person sead " lack of exploration" is one of the major faults in SS in my opinion.

>Implying that we didn't go back to previous areas in other Zelda games.

Hell, by the time you've finished the 2nd dungeon in OoT you've gone up and down Death Mountain at least 3-4 times.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh yes I did but I always like to revisit locations in Zelda games. When I play a game for the first time I want to finish it as quickly as possible but after the final boss has been defeated I'll go back to all locations a couple of times. Because somehow I always have the feeling I forgot something or missed something.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
As surferguy7 and Vanessa28 pointed out, we've always revisited areas in the Zelda franchise. I don't see why people treat Skyward Sword as if it was the first game to use this feature. I also don't get why people treat it as if we only backtracked through the same areas in Skyward Sword. That's not true at all. We went back to them to find the Silent Realm, then found a NEW area. There would also be stronger versions of earlier enemies as well as NEW enemies in the areas returned to. It's basically like what you would see in a Metroid game, and I don't ever see anyone complain about backtracking in Metroid.

I didn't mind the backtracking at all, as its been said, its been done multiple times in the past and no one had a problem with it then. I actually enjoyed it. The areas you revisited always had a twist to make it exciting and different, and because you revisited old areas it reinforced the characters living there. I thought it was done very well and I didn't feel any repetition at all. It lets you see the land below as its own world, if you went to completely different places then the characters lives and there land wouldn't of meant anything.

I do have to admit though, I haven't played the game in a while. But I do remember enjoying the visit back to these places.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
I like to revisit areas in other Zelda games, but not Skyward Sword. To me, every time you came back to an area it felt like almost exactly the same thing again. In other Zelda games, if you backtrack to an area it actually is different. Example being, in Ocarina of Time when you go back to Zora's Domain, everything is frozen over.

Honestly, this is one of my biggest issues with SS and makes me not want to replay it every time I get the thought to.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
As a reply to other posts: To be honest i LOVE backtracking areas! I always do and I also did in SS. I did like to backtrack the areas and especially Faron Woods. Somehow in every Zelda game (and also in Pokemon and Mario) I love to backtrack places. Like I said before I'm always on the hunt and sometimes a place looks comfortable for me and I like to revisit it. In TP I loved to spent hours in Lake Hylia or Zora's Domain and in WW on Dragon Roost or Outset Island and in SS it's Faron Woods for me and Skyloft

Last edited:
I think the main reason why we treat SS differently then the other Zelda games is because you had to go to a statue, then come back to the sky area to go and fly to the next area. it got really annoying. example, I am in farron woods and i have to get water, then go to the sky, then fly to the red marker, and land in elden volcano etc etc rinse and repeat. it would be much better if all the provinces were connected together in 1 huge land like i mentioned in my previous post. this is the 1st zelda game that ive played were each of the areas were separated and not connected, i think Nintendo should Never separate areas like that again

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
So finding new areas within a previously-explored area isn't something new? Or having to swim through the Faron Woods or stealth along a dark Eldin Volcano?

Like I said, to me SS felt like the same thing every time. No matter what new areas you had to go to, or any changes they had, the scenery and atmosphere was still the same, and did not have a good impact on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom