• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did you have a physics teacher that was impossible to understand?

Studied math and physics, and i flunked in 2023 starting year. So plan on taking Bachelor at another school and just forget trying to get physics and math degree.

But basically keywords of what it was

- My children know this kind of math already (Which was one of the jokes he would pull which i hated : P, most class did too)
- Saying people shouldnt be frustrated (which you know doesnt help me get the stuff he is trying to teach)
- Talk with people

So it does rely on learning it yourself which i guess is fair. But his teaching methods was beyond hard to get. So i think Big Bang Theory kinda does sum up greatly here with my teacher who is Dutch teaching us at the school i went too.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think the way you worded this is more impossible to understand. :right: But joking aside I can understand the sentiment of certain teaching methods being better than others. I had a pretty unique physics teacher myself in high school. He would lecture for about 30 minutes and then the entire rest of the period was ours to do whatever we wanted. He was also the chess club advisor and he would play chess with us during class, and he was impossible to beat. I spent most of my time in his class playing on the computers in the back of the room, and yet I aced most of the tests. I actually learned more about physics this way than from a standard class setup because we were basically given the tools to teach ourselves. He opened our minds to what we could learn with his lectures and then told us to have at it. For me who can't stand anything math-based, this was a really good way for me to learn, since there was no crushing and rigid expectations like every other math class I've taken. Thanks to his method I was able to engage with the course content on my own terms, and I did really well like that. Unfortunately I found out years later that he got fired because the school board didn't approve of his methods and felt like he wasn't doing his job properly, so that sucks. I guess they don't really work for everyone, but yeah. Something something this is the problem with the educational system something something.

I think the way you worded this is more impossible to understand. :right: But joking aside I can understand the sentiment of certain teaching methods being better than others. I had a pretty unique physics teacher myself in high school. He would lecture for about 30 minutes and then the entire rest of the period was ours to do whatever we wanted. He was also the chess club advisor and he would play chess with us during class, and he was impossible to beat. I spent most of my time in his class playing on the computers in the back of the room, and yet I aced most of the tests. I actually learned more about physics this way than from a standard class setup because we were basically given the tools to teach ourselves. He opened our minds to what we could learn with his lectures and then told us to have at it. For me who can't stand anything math-based, this was a really good way for me to learn, since there was no crushing and rigid expectations like every other math class I've taken. Thanks to his method I was able to engage with the course content on my own terms, and I did really well like that. Unfortunately I found out years later that he got fired because the school board didn't approve of his methods and felt like he wasn't doing his job properly, so that sucks. I guess they don't really work for everyone, but yeah. Something something this is the problem with the educational system something something.
We played chess before Christmas in class, though i think it was more for fun and not so much math involved.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
different people have different ways of learning/teaching.....like me im visual butr the teachers would talk and talk and im like yargh!!!

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Like it or not, if looking to get a physics degree, you're going to have to do a lot of mathematics. You only get better at something with a teacher that can show you the ropes and good ol' fashioned practice, at least, that works for me. I just need someone to show me an example or how something is used, and I like to try it myself.

I learn by doing.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I had a very boring one. It was hard to not fall askeep during the lessons. I dropped the subject when I could so no more boring and uninteresting lessons. It could've been different if he just put more effort in it because he was a very nice person

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom