• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did You Ever Pick the Potion Instead of the Heart in LOZ?

In LOZ, Did you ever picked the potion instead of the heart?

• Yes, I have once done that

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I never did that

• Yes, I always do that

• Yes, I did that sometimes

• Total voters

Kybyrian

I never really played LoZ much, but whenever I came to that choice I never did pick the potion over the heart... just seems absurd to do so. I don't really even know why they would ever put that choice in there, but it was an old game and there were a lot of things that could have been better in it.

I never did that and i really dont know why anyone would do that. It makes ZERO since to take a potion, which you can buy, or a Heart Container that if you chose the potion, that you will never have a chance to get it again.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

I had already played enough Zelda games before I played the original to realize how ridiculous a decision it is. It's perfect that they had it in the first one, since nobody was able to be used to the concept of Heart Containers and Pieces of Heart enough to realize what they were choosing between. It's a fun joke for the developers.

Link Master

The Hero's Master
I never did it because the potion is useless unless you have hearts. So no but this might be because of Mases with his walk through I probably would have chose. Just because I am saying this does not mean I can't do anything on Zelda games myself I just use Zelda dungeon for fun or if I am stuck.:)

B

BlackOut0189

I NEVER once picked up the potion in my entire Legend of Zelda career. I had already known that the Heart Pieces increased your maximum life, even without a guide, thanks to a local neighborhood friend of mine.

Q

quillmert

No, I knew where my priorities were, even as a little kid. I always went for the heart container, even if a needed a potion at the time. My cousin on the other hand, played through the game after picking the potion and went for 100% completion, only to realize with one heart container left to get he had screwed himself. I myself never made that mistake though...

C

cubeface21

I have always picked up the heart container. I suppose if I ever do a 3 heart run I would get the potion, but I probably won't ever be doing that.

I have always picked up the heart container. I suppose if I ever do a 3 heart run I would get the potion, but I probably won't ever be doing that.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'd only do it on a 3 heart run through. I will probably do that eventually, but even after playing this game since the early 90's. I still don't feel ready.

The first time I played I just picked the heart container b/c I recognized it from having beaten a dungeon or two already. Plus that one heart container that you need the ladder to reach had been bugging me since a few minutes into my first ever Zelda playthrough.

Austin

Austin
I'm not going to lie..... I played LoZ for the first time a few days ago and thought that the potion... was soda. Honest to god. The bottle was just so different from every other Zelda game I played that I couldn't make the connection. Granted, I had been playing all day and was about to collapse from exhaustion, but I'll admit that was one of the more stupid moments of my life.

Needless to say, I chose the Heart Container over the "soda".

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I didn't do it, but I might very well have if I hadn't used a walkthrough.

The thing is, not everyone finds the Old Man's Letter. If you were trying to play the game without one, there's every chance that you might think that's the only way to get a potion. If you know the hidden secret and that you can get a Red Potion for 80 (or was it more?) rupees, then you know it's a bad deal. But if you haven't found the hidden shop, and you think it's a choice between having an item that will revive you twice if you die, or a chance to last longer without dying, it's a much tougher choice.

In fact, it's possible that those particular shops were put there for testing purposes, and they never actually intended players to find it (development teams were a lot more haphazard back then, willing to leave Easter eggs behind for those few who knew where to look). So the game may have originally offered no way to purchase potions, and in that case the choice would make more sense. They stopped doing things like that when they realized that if enough people have the game, everything in it will eventually be uncovered and made public, no matter how cleverly they think they've hidden it.

Either that, or the choice itself was really just there for those players that somehow miss the Letter. Not sure...

Another possibility is that the potion shops were deliberately added on (or left in) at the last minute to reduce the overall difficulty of the game because they decided it was too hard as designed.

In any case, I'm sure it wasn't intended to be such a poor deal, it just ended up being that way.

Last edited:
Y

Yoru Yama

I always do that for some reason. I don't know why but I do get a heart container later, if i remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom