• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did you ever have console arguments at school?

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Not really. Me and my friends mostly liked the same consoles and games, and we didn't really talk to other people about gaming and consoles, so it just never happened.

No, I was never aware of the console wars until I discovered gamesfaq as an adult.

When I was a kid, if one of us had a different system, we'd invite each other over to play and good times were had by all. Its how I remembered the 90s, and why I consider the SNES and SG to be part of my childhood as well as my NES.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Not really, in high school the boys wouldn't shut up about Xbox cuz of Halo but I ignored them. Prior to being in high school I only knew about Nintendo and PlayStation, I never knew Sega had consoles till then. My actual first experience with Sega was the Sonic Mega Collection that came with other Sega games as well.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
@A Link In Time I suspect people incorporate what console they play, especially if that's the only one they could afford as a child, into their identity making them defensive, because criticism of the choice of console is tantamount to criticism of their identity in general, but getting over that for them is part of developing a healthy model of skepticism in one's epistemology

my impression of this phenomenon

alit, do you think it occurs less frequently nowadays than in the early 90s and late 2000s?

@A Link In Time I suspect people incorporate what console they play, especially if that's the only one they could afford as a child, into their identity making them defensive, because criticism of the choice of console is tantamount to criticism of their identity in general, but getting over that for them is part of developing a healthy model of skepticism in one's epistemology

my impression of this phenomenon

alit, do you think it occurs less frequently nowadays than in the early 90s and late 2000s?

Yeah, I think most people are either more likely to own multiple consoles nowadays so there are less "camps" so to speak. Also, people acknowledge the strength of each library. For Nintendo and Sony it's the first party games with Nintendo focusing more on more family friendly experiences and couch coop while Sony has more mature single player epics. For Microsoft it is about emphasizing Xbox Live and Game Pass. They are definitely the biggest on the online experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom