• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did you ever got into a franchise or like a game without playing it at all?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
So, many of us know games or whole gaming series through commercials or simply by playing it. The most obvious way to find out if a game is for you is by playing it, right? Now what about games you didn't play at all but simply followed by gameplays done by others or simply just find out the lore through wiki or whatever? Did you ever become a fan of a game or franchise in general by not playing the game(s) at all?

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Well uh, actually I'm currently doing that. I've never played a persona game but Joker being announced for smash made me go out and buy persona 5. I'm loving it so far

Yes and no....

Being british means that while I'm a fan of the Tales series i can play less than half of the series because they don't get released over here very often.

So after playing and loving Xillia i did some research on the series and ended up having to watch let's plays etc and reading up on most of the games and their stories without actually playing them which sucks.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I misunderstood the question,but even still yes I've had games like this. I've haven't played any xenoblade games but love those as well.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
That's Persona for me, I didn't play Persona 3 FES until I watch 2 Let's Plays and read up on every persona.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
yeah, this was star fox for me, I was so intrigued by seeing it in melee but I never saw a game in stores, I would end up seeing playthroughs of assault, adventures, and even 64 a good while before I actually bought them myself

My boyfriend introduced me to the Witcher 3, and I still have yet to play. I'm not as interested in it as I am with the LoZ series, but it's very alluring to say the least, especially with fan reviews on the game. I've been interested in reading the books by Andrzej Sapkowskyi.

I'm also pretty sure that anyone who wanted to get into Overwatch could become a fan and NEVER need to play the game because there is NO story in that game outside of a short opening scene, yet there are short movies and encyclopedias for the damn thing.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
MGS, Marvel vs. Capcom, and Fire Emblem. Each franchise seems enjoyable as movies or anime, but I feel like I would suck at the games.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Overwatch. I have never actually touched the game, but am fascinated by the world and the characters. I watch every short they release because they're fantastically made. Of course, the world has no bearing on the actual game. Beyond that, the gameplay I have seen has been awesome. It's not a game I ever intend on actually spending money on, but the characters all seem so varied and balanced (for the most part). Because I'm cheap, I just play Paladins, the free rip off.

Not sure if this answers the question but I watched a friend play through Final Fantasy III on the SNES. At that time, I hadn't played any turn based RPGs and overall wasn't even aware of them. At first didn't care for turn based attack system but was really getting into the story. I began to look forward to watch him play it. After he completed it I borrowed it and played it for myself and enjoyed it. After that I rented FF2 and just happened to stumble upon the original FF at a pawnshop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom