• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Link's Awakening Switch Did you Enjoy the remake?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I think that the remake looks stellar graphically. It's one of the few Nintendo ports that I consider to be worth the $60 price tag. While the structure and story burned me out before I could finish, I'm sure it's the sort of game that would appeal to anyone even somewhat interested in the structure of a "traditional" Zelda game.

While the structure and story burned me out before I could finish, I'm sure it's the sort of game that would appeal to anyone even somewhat interested in the structure of a "traditional" Zelda game.
As someone who came into Zelda through BotW (which is like the opposite of a traditional Zelda game), the traditional Zelda-style really hooked me with Link's Awakening. I'd really recommend finishing, if only for the emotional pay-off of the story which I find significant.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
As someone who came into Zelda through BotW (which is like the opposite of a traditional Zelda game), the traditional Zelda-style really hooked me with Link's Awakening. I'd really recommend finishing, if only for the emotional pay-off of the story which I find significant.

Unfortunately, I've long since looked up the ending of the original game, so I'm aware of the emotional twist. I like the direction LA tries to take with its story, but it doesn't feel like it commits to the direction. It feels wishy-washy till the very end to me.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I've long since looked up the ending of the original game, so I'm aware of the emotional twist. I like the direction LA tries to take with its story, but it doesn't feel like it commits to the direction. It feels wishy-washy till the very end to me.
Gotta admit, I agree with you here. I loved Link's Awakening, but it felt like it was trying to be surreal but just couldn't quite manage the balance between whimsy and telling an emotional story. It felt like the tone of the ending was inconsistent with the irreverent tone that the rest of the game took. Majora's Mask was much better at striking a balance between the foreboding atmosphere and the downright wacky stuff that happens in that game.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Gotta admit, I agree with you here. I loved Link's Awakening, but it felt like it was trying to be surreal but just couldn't quite manage the balance between whimsy and telling an emotional story. It felt like the tone of the ending was inconsistent with the irreverent tone that the rest of the game took. Majora's Mask was much better at striking a balance between the foreboding atmosphere and the downright wacky stuff that happens in that game.

That seems like the best way to describe it. Link's Awakening feels inches away from telling something more on par with Majora's Mask. It feels like the first draft of a story that needs some editing so the themes of the story can be tightened down on. It has some powerful emotional beats with Marin, but it just doesn't feel like the rest of the game was on the same page. It's like LA had two separate writers, one who was committed to writing an emotional story but was only responsible for a few cutscenes, and one who just wanted to make another Zelda game to sell Gameboys and was responsible for almost everything else.

Yeah, definitely the best way to play Link's Awakening nowadays, especially with the QoL improvements like being able to carry items at the same time as your sword and shield.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
The graphics on LA were absolutely stunning, although the fog around the edges of the screen is a little distracting. I'm not so good with older games, so it was nice to have the smoother controls. Seriously hope they do others in this style.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
The graphics on LA were absolutely stunning, although the fog around the edges of the screen is a little distracting. I'm not so good with older games, so it was nice to have the smoother controls. Seriously hope they do others in this style.
The depth of field is responsible for achieving that toy-like effect, itd look more like the sinnoh remakes without it lul

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom