• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did You Begin Playing Zelda Games at a Young Age?

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
How old were you when you played your very first Zelda game? Did you begin playing at a young age, and can now be considered a Zelda veteran, or are you new(er) to the series?

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
i have been playing since i can remember but i have only beaten 4 zelda games so i won't call myself a veteran

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
I was 4 when OoT came out...and I did not own a console till I was 6. I played ST when I was 15 (Im 19 now) and since then Ive played all of the games (except the oracles).

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Since 2000 or 2001ish is when i first started playing zelda games.
Played almost all the games.

Zelda 1 - Beaten , didn't beat 2nd quest
Zelda 2- Great Palace annoys me, see back in a few days maybe i'll have beaten it by then

Link to the Past- Beaten Many times (own snes copy and GBA copy)
ocarina of Time - Beaten many times, 100% runs and 3 hearts
Majora's Mask- Same as ocarina of time

Wind Waker, Beaten a few times, never did beat 2nd quest though
TP- Beaten 3 times, and thought it would grow on me, but it didn't, so my dislike of the game isn't for lack of giving it a fair chance

Links awakening - Had that on gameboy, and was the first zelda game i really did get to play
Oracle of Ages/ Season - Beaten both, with a few play-throughs, to get the different endings. Still my favorites for 2d games.

Minish Cap - Beaten, but not my favorite of the 2d ones, so not much in terms of motivation for replaying it.

Phantom Hour Glass- Beaten, It was interesting, and some of the puzzles were so randomly out of the box, like yelling in the mic to make a monster afraid of you so you could hurt it.

Skyward Sword, lack of wii, so lack of skyward sword.

So i've played almost all the real games, watched runs of the Cd-i ones for laughs though. And the broadcast system ones can't count as real games either.

The four sword games I haven't, due the the fact it takes a 2nd person with gba, in both cases to really play them.

Spirit Tracks, I also have not had the chance to play it, I did plan on buying it once but game stop didn't have it at the time

So i guess that should tell you how long i've been with the series, and experience with it.

I played my first Zelda game, Ocarina of Time, when I was about five. It was one of the first games I ever played (the first game was probably Pokémon Red). I played it while my cousin (who was about the same age) watched. It was a second hand copy, and there was a save file just before the Ganondorf fight, so I tried that. I can remember just messing around with bombchus and the like trying to understand the controls while being bombarded by Ganondorf's attacks.

I remember my first experience in the Deku Tree - I entered the room with the slingshot in it, jumped on the platform in the middle and watched as it crumbled underneath my feet. Me and my cousin were both impressed by the platform dissapearing under my feet but we thought it was incredibly cruel, especially considering we could not for the life of us work out how to leave the room. We saw the ladder, but we thought that you were supposed to go up it, and didn't realise that you were supposed to shoot it, but, as it was impossible, we couldn't work out how to get up it. We never worked out what to do - I turned off the N64 at this point to go to bed. That night, I dreamed about what might be up there. I can't remember any details about the dream, though.

We never did work out the trick with the ladder, of course, as when I turned the N64 back on the day after we were spawned back at the beginning room of the Deku Tree. It wasn't until years later when I started again that I realised the trick.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I would consider myself newer to the series. I've only been playing Zelda games for the better part of three years. I picked up my first game, Phantom Hourglass, on a whim in a Best Buy when I was thirteen. I became a fan by complete chance. I wouldn't consider myself a veteran until I've played for at least five years.

I think I started playing Zelda at the age of 3 or 4. Started with OoT. I guess you can call me a Zelda veteran since I have played pretty much all of the games except for the oracle games not to mention I have been a fan of the series for a very long time.. Trying to get physical copies of Zelda games too since I am a collector.

Last edited:

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I was about 6 when Ocarina of Time came out, I didn't play it much then as I didn't have an N64 till 99. However, I had played ALttP at my cousin's house around that time and played a little bit of OoT on my brother's friend's console. I was enthralled with the series, but it wouldn't be till Majora's Mask came out that I would really get into the series. I remember that my grandparents bought it for me for my 8th birthday. I remember that I got to the Woodfall Temple, but I couldn't beat the boss.

Most of my Zelda experience initially came from watching my brother play the games, but it was around 2000, when I guess I really started with the Zelda series. That's going on 12 or so years of true Zelda experience and 14 or so years of Zelda fascination/love. I would definitely call myself a veteran to the series. Now I may not be a 26 year veteran, but I am still a veteran none the less.

Miyamoto and all those at Nintendo, thank you for making my childhood awesome.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I was three years old when OoT came out, and I had been playing it since then. I'd call myself a veteran, having beaten every single main Zelda game to date.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I was about 3 when OoT came out but I didn't start till I was 4. My first ever game was AoL (talk about tough break) but considering it was my first, it prepped me for the others. I've been playing ever since.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I'm definitely not a "veteran". The first time I played any Zelda game, was a little bit of Ocarina of Time at the age of five. I never got to fully experience it until it's release on the 3DS. I started truly playing Zelda games when I picked up Phantom Hourglass. At that time, I was very very pleased with the game, and wondered if there were more. I've yet to play every Zelda game, but I'm getting there. Slowly, but surely.

My very first game was The Wind Waker; I got it around launch time - meaning I was 5 or 6 at the time - and although I didn't get very far for quite a few years, I still fell in love with it. The Christmas a few months beforehand I had received a GameCube with a couple games, one of them being Super Smash Bros. Melee; I really liked playing as both versions of Link in the game, so I suppose that's why I picked up TWW without much knowledge of the series. Since then, I've played every Zelda game besides the Oracles and Four Swords Adventures (still need to get my hands on those three), because I really liked the series from the get-go. But I digress, yes, I did start playing Zelda at a rather young age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom