• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

OoT-N64 Did You Actually Get the Ice Arrows Before Defeating Ganon?

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
I know I didn't. The Ice Arrows really seem to be a pointless item in the game because you cannot get them until you're close to the end of the game. They don't do a whole lot. So my questions remain. Did you get the Ice Arrows before defeating Ganon? Do you wish you could get Ice Arrows earlier in the game? Do you think Nintendo should have even included them in the game, or should they have made a different prize for the Gerudo Training Grounds?

I completely agree that the ice arrows aren't very useful. I got them after Ganon on my first playthrough, and didn't use them once! I haven't gotten them on any of my other playthroughs just because there isn't any point. I think that the prize at the end should have been something else, maybe a heart piece? That would have been a lot better than Dampe's Heart Pounding Grave Tour...

I did but kinda by accident. I just assumed the greudo training course was going to have something important at the end. It was disappointing when i realized i went through all that for no reason.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
they are just a novelty item but i like them so i get them when i visit the Fortress en route to Spirit Temple

Demise

Army Strong
I did not get them, the only item I went out of my way to get was the Biggorons Sword, which I got before the Water Temple, after you unfroze King Zora.

Links Brother

I am Links older Brother!
On my first time playing, no. Although the Ice arrows were an awsome item you got them so late in the game it was pointless. When did my 100% run I got it though.

Linkyme

Call me Coco :3
I got the ice arrows before I defeated Ganon because I wanted to have all the items before defeating the boss (It's something I do for fun.), but they aren't necessary. I haven't had to use them so far. They're just there as a random item, I guess.

MW7

I got them right after the Spirit Temple my first playthrough, but you can actually get them a little over halfway through the game. There are 9 keys in the Gerudo Training Grounds and 7 are needed to reach the Ice Arrows.

2 keys require something to fight with (i.e. the sword)
1 key requires the Song of Time
1 key requires another key (the one in the room of locks)
2 keys require the bow
1 key requires the megaton hammer
1 key requires the iron boots
1 key requires the silver gauntlets

So this means at a minimum you need:
1. bow and megaton hammer
OR
2. bow and iron boots

So you could get the ice arrows without even beating an adult dungeon. You at a minimum need to get the bow from the Forest Temple and then either the megaton hammer from the Fire Temple or the iron boots from the Ice Cavern. You don't need the longshot because Epona can get you there instead. I tested this all out a while ago on OOT 3d without any glitches so it's the same for the earlier versions of the game since OOT 3d is the most limited version of the game.

F

Forever Impa

I did get the ice arrows before the final battle. I'm a sucker for the puzzles more than keeping the story going; I tend to take breaks just to complete pointless puzzles and explore extranneous areas, then jump back into the storyline. But I don't think it mattered, because as you pointed out, they were pretty useless. I don't know if making them easily avaliable earlier would've changed anything for me, nor would've a different prize in all likelihood. A more useful prize would've been fantastic, then I wouldn't have felt like I wasted a bunch of time then. But I don't see the need for any other items in the game, so a different prize probably would've been another useless prize. :S

Ghirahim

Demon Lord
I have gotten them a couple times, when I go for 100% playthroughs. Otherwise I usually don't bother. Doesn't seem worth it.

I thought the ice arrows were cool at first, but I only found one thing I could do with them. If you shoot them at Bongo Bongo's hands, his hand freezes up and the other hand punches the hand you shot to try and free it. Other than that, I thought they were pretty useless. I wish Nintendo expanded the ice arrow's role so that any enemy would freeze when they were shot.

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
Yup. I wanted everything my first playthrough, so I couldn't resist. :P In the end I never got all the heart pieces and skulltullas on my first playthrough, but I made sure to get all the item slots filled.

First time no. later yes for 100% and then just for the heck of it. In MM I never used them either except for when needed. I like there being Items you don't need in the games but I wish they would be more useful still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom