• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did They Go a Little Too Far?

Please just listen to jack-o-lantern, because he's made a very good point. Having played Wii Sports Resort myself I really think that after a while of getting to know the controls, you really do not have to be standing on your feet and moving like crazy to defeat your enemies in Skyward Sword. All you have to do is move the Wiimote in the direction you want Link to be hitting on is enemies. I am very confident that after some time it won't be tiring or annoying but just pure fun, because you will get a more in-depth-feeling of acutally being in the game as Link while exploring new areas.

I don't need to swing my arm around to feel like link, all I want to do is press B. I don't mind it if I have swing my arm sometimes, but I will hate doing it the majority of the game. I'm not scared of standing on my feet, I just think its hard to relax when you have to make your arm do a little dance just to defeat a boss. It will be fun for 30 min, but after that, it will be tiring.

I am sure Nintendo will have a more than decent balance of this. They have considered it so far. I have yet to be tired because of so much swinging of the control, and Zelda is in itself a game that ranges with different activities aside the whole swordsmanship business. =b

So, I think it is impossible right now to say if they have or not. Only until I play it and see for myself if they pushed too much the motion plus idea in a way that seems forced instead of naturally flown, in a way that is tiring for me instead of fun, in a way that makes me dread to continue the game instead of enjoying the experience... but for now, with only a short trailer, some small demo I didn't play with, and the game in process I find to pretentious of me to give a straight away opinion on it.

lilwilly

Swordless Link
Well... I don't have a Wii console anyway at my house. Why should I worry about it then? *Sigh*... If only I had that last dollar...

I personally was getting VERY bored of the sword combat in Twilight Princess, just because it was mashing a button, which I think makes the fights really easy, its boring, especially if you've been mashing the B button for the past 15 Zelda games you've completed, and whats so fun about tapping your thumb randomly until the enemy dies in front of you?

I think 1:1 motion controls will actually make fighting an enemy interesting again. And I'm a lazy guy. I usually chill on my bed and play video games on my free time, take naps etc. But this just sounds exciting and immersible, and once you actually start moving your arm around, you actually feel more awake and alert, and you can enjoy the game more when you're physically into it.

I played red steel 2 with motion control on the lowest settings, but you had to swing REALLY hard to do good damage. I can tell you right now you don't have to swing half as hard for the new Zelda because speed of swing doesn't affect damage. I played for like three hours strait and its really not that torturous. And that's a game with fighting ALL the time, without side-quests and character interaction.

I really think you guys should just suck it up, stop being a lazy teenager of the 21st century and move your arm around, pretend you are wielding the Master Sword, the Hylian Shield, the Bow, and have some fun. Our generation really is getting lazy isn't it... (sigh)

Just wanted to point out that even if there was a new zelda game coming out for the old (retired) SNES console I would be interested in playing it. Its not about how the game looks or how its played (although it is nice when it looks better) because in the end it is zelda with Miyamoto and Aonuma running the show. I think it is funny how those who opted to stick with the gamecube for TP finally have to accept the motion controls.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
No! This is what we had in mind for motion gaming all along...this will be the first great motion gaming adventure game. And Zelda is a natural fit...this is going to be good, Just Wait.

Skyward Sword is about the sword... tiring or not, it fits really well for players to have to do more than just press B. Ocarina of Time wouldn't have been as fun if you just selected a song to play from a list and the game played it for you. Whether or not the constant swinging will get annoying, I'm glad that the game lets you interact with the main feature to such an extent.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I personally don't see what's so un-relaxing about flicking your wrist around a bit. I find it doesn't make my wrists as tired because they're not in the same position for a long period of time. Plus it's more interactive and I like that in things. Of course, we can't really judge until we try it out with the game. I'm thinking it will be a lot of fun myself. :)

G

Gaspra

As much as I may be skeptical of motion controls, I'm confident that the Zelda developers will not create a game that alienates its fanbase on the basis of too arduous of motion controls. I'm certain that the motion will only enhance the gameplay, and i'm confident we'll all be pleasantly surprised by how well they manage to do so :)

I have to agree with everyone who's saying that the 1:1 sword controls + improved enemy blocking are vastly superior to rapid presses of the B button. For one, you can inject a little more playstyle: will you wait for enemies to drop their guard and attack, or try to slash through their guard? In TWW and TP most enemies didn't block in the first place (and in OoT/MM most of them had repetitive movement patterns- a problem which ALSO translated to TWW and TP to an extent), so it was simply a matter of running up to them and slashing away or memorizing their attack patterns. With SS it looks like it's a little less repetitive - although enemies like the Deku Babas will of course have preset directions (or in the case of the Gold Deku Baba, only a couple different blocking patterns) - but at least the attempt at variety is there. Of course, as we get better at the combat system, it'll probably be second nature to us - I saw some people tearing through Bokoblins like nothing when playing the demo - but it's still going to be more involving than what we've seen in other 3D games.

I will say, however, that I'm worried about there being too many puzzles along the lines of the eyeball door. I don't want the fact that Wii Motion Plus offers outstanding control to be a substitute for actual "gameplay challenges" that test our skill with items or in combat.

X

Xapheion

No I don't think they have gone to far, I admit that the watch doors are maybe a little gimiky but I think that the directional swings and such will be a fun new way to play the game and will make it a lot more immersive, which makes any game better. (not that Zelda can get much better hahaha)

I played red steel 2 with motion control on the lowest settings, but you had to swing REALLY hard to do good damage.

ehhh, wrong. I own the game, and you just have to do a regular swing.....
And if you have played red steel 2, you know that motion control is going to be a huuuge plus! :D

The only thing I hate is the bow, I already have wii sports resort -.-
This will ruin how easy it was to defeat enemies in a real close quartered fight.

I think implementing motion controls this way is a natural evolution. Well, anyway, we still need to see the final result.

And to finish, something I posted in another thread some time ago:

"Just to add something I believe is funny about all this motion control stuff. I'm not disagreeing with anyone, I'm just pointing it out because I think it's interesting: I remember, as a kid, that I and all the other children used to imagine how completely awesome it would be if, instead of using a controler, we could be able to actually control our character with movements. It was kind of an utopic dream for every videogame loving kid to be able to immerse ourselves in the game as much as we could, if not completely. Now, in the current generation of videogames, that we're actually so close to fulfilling that old dream of using our own moves to slash evil, we're being resistant (kind of) about it! Hey, I'm not saying we're abominating the thing nor that everyone is like that, what I mean is that we're discussing about the possibility of not having it, and thinking "Would it be bad? Would I get tired of it? Isn't it easier to just press a button?". I mean, if it was like 10 (or 15) years ago, as kids, we'd be like "WTH ARE YOU CRAZY?!?! DO IT!!" "

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom