• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did The Wind Waker have enough land?

Some people say that sailing is all their is to The Wind Waker. While its true that you don't get the choice to travel on foot in TWW (or warp unless you're in the boat,) all of the dungeons are land-based and there aren't many major fights (saves for the big octos) that you engage primarily from KORL...

While playing through the story we are on land quite a lot but once the game has ended there is a lot more sailing involved since we need to move from one location to another much more frequently and we don't spend much time on the land masses we visit (while looking for the likes of heart pieces etc).

So, do you think there was enough land based action in TWW, or was there too much sea?
Do you think it had enough of both but one was focused upon more than the other?
Do you think the land masses should have been bigger?

Last edited:

Truffles

Zelda is the Dark Souls of Zelda
Hmm! I never thought about this before.

I guess it would've been good to have more drawn-out approaches to dungeons. I mean, imagine if – after alighting on an island – you had to make your way through a small forest to get to a temple entrance... That could have been cool, right? Perhaps a little more atmospheric.

But I wouldn't want the land masses to get terribly much bigger if there's no chance of riding a horse. ;)

So... I think that's my answer to your third question. As for the first two... I think the balance was pretty much just right. But I'll step aside and let someone else say something. :)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The land masses shouldn't be much bigger as they are the tops of mountains. Unless Nintendo decided that Hyrule was in a deep valley and there were massive plateaus which would have avoided flooding, then it would make no sense for gigantic islands.

I think it's fine the way it is, though I like Truffles' idea of more pre-dungeon areas to get through first.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I thought it had the perfect amount of both sea and land based action. Sure, they could've made islands a bit more vast, but when you think about it there was plenty to explore because there were so many islands.

Djinn

and Tonic
I tend to think no when it comes to the non dungeon areas. Minidungeons, or village types of paces were always incredibly cramped. If they were not a tiny rick with only a single hut on them at best. It also caused you to return to the 3-ish large islands much more often for more random things like hidden sections or unlocking a new spot. It really did make adventuring the overworld a little less interesting. I wanted to keep going and find new things but I found myself coming back to Outset a bit too often.

Now that you ask, yeah, I would have enjoyed it if one or two islands were a bit bigger, containing a larger or more interesting challenge or something.

MW7

I think the game would have been better with a smaller sea. At the very least this would have given the illusion of the islands being bigger. I do think more Windfall type islands would have been really cool. I definitely would have subtracted 10 or so of the less impressive islands for a few more large islands with lots of content.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
It definitely was plenty of land based action for me. I didn't really think too much about the land to sea ratio, because the sailing didn't bother me, I enjoyed the exploration and discovery, how there were always something to see, something to do.

2MooglesGaming

More fun than a bag of Kupo Nuts!
Never really thought about the land/sea ratio aside from during the Triforce piece fetch quest. The vastness of the ocean made each island that much more important.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom