• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did the Timeshift Stones Work the Same Way in the Past

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
I don't know, but something about the way Fi described the timeshift stones as 'creating a temporal field,' got me thinking. Did this same temporal zone occur in the past? If so, depending on how long ago it was, like, say, when the mining facility was manufactured and timeshift stones were used, then wouldn't it have sent the area back in time before the facility was made, causing a paradox?

Danigo92498

Someone You Met Online
I don't think so, because they were active then. The only reason they worked the way they did is because they were being reactivated when Link hit them with something.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If what JJ said isn't accurate, I'd say Hylia "encoded" them so that they'd work in a much later date, not in the (past) where we assume they originally were made. Of course, we can't really say. That's sort of like asking "Can the Master Sword/Gate of Time allow travel in the past when already in the past". Perhaps it could, but then again maybe it cannot. We don't really know.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Don't think too hard about the Chronolites, for it will mess up your brain. (I read on TVTropes that "Chronolites" are what they're being called in the French and Spanish translations... such a cool name for them).

In fact, I've learned that any story involving Time Travel will make my brain hurt. The only one that comes close to not giving me headaches is Futurama because they really do have good explaintions for stability when they play with Time. Then, again, the writers on that show are mostly math and science geeks.

I always figured that the Timeshift Stones worked as they do in the present - a stable gateway between *this time* and *this other time* - that is, when the past robots messed with them, they got a glimpse into a bleak, sand-covered future. However, being robots, they probably didn't care too much. A few of them seem to emote a little (like the Skipper), but for the most part, they were just working a job. The "Ooh, the future!" didn't have quite the same "Ooh!" for them as it would for a mortal, perhaps.

Or, perhaps they worked a little differently - subtle timeshifts within the general era that were good for work and whatever the Thunder Dragon wanted to do. Five minutes here, ten minutes there... and they only became the huge time-gap things that they did after a milleinum or two.

I think they only reverse time to near, or to the point when they were first created. What I mean is, if I create a Time Shift Stone now, wait five minutes, and then strike it, I'd return to the time five minutes ago (when the stone was first made.) This would vary from stone to stone, given the time they were "programmed" and/or location. To the point: An x length of time reversal potential would accumulate as time goes on; in which case, by Link's time period the Time Shift Stones will have gained a thousand(?) years of time reversal potential! But there are variables to this as well which must be considered... [noparse]>.>[/noparse] If this is the case, I'd subscribe to Vanitas' standpoint.

VanitasXII said:
...I'd say Hylia "encoded" them so that they'd work in a much later date, not in the (past) where we assume they originally were made...

From Vanitas' point I add JJ's quote:

JuicieJ said:
My guess is the Ancient Robots were mining the Timeshift Stones because the land was beginning to turn into a desert...

They were probably forewarned (or programmed?) by Hylia (possibly Lanayru?) of what would occur in the future (desertification), and rushed to mine the stones. Afterward, the stones were "encoded" to perform the aforementioned functions. When Link reverses time, many of the Robots seem oblivious to what has occurred and are only focused on the job at hand.

If none of the is the case, I'm STUMPED! :S Maybe it's one of those things Nintendo didn't put too much effort into with regards to what the fans might try to theorize and speculate on. They probably felt what they did sufficed, and going any further would be superfluous. In the end, I guess we're left to assume...

Yet we do use timeshift stones that aren't yet 'created' and are still being hauled around in a big lump of rock.

Created, but not "refined" and/or "[re-]programmed"... Perhaps I should have been clearer in my previous post... My use of the word "created" was a tad misleading, I guess. By "created" I was referring to the more refined-looking ones, like the diamond-shaped ones or the orb - some of which bear an ornate insignia on them. Some of the jagged, unrefined ones were probably damaged and/or incomplete, albeit functional (to what degree, I'm unsure).

Hmm... Speaking on that, I wonder if enemies and other wildlife ever bump into the Time Shift Stones.

seahawk1

Guardian of Koholint
Don't think too hard about the Chronolites, for it will mess up your brain. (I read on TVTropes that "Chronolites" are what they're being called in the French and Spanish translations... such a cool name for them).

In fact, I've learned that any story involving Time Travel will make my brain hurt. The only one that comes close to not giving me headaches is Futurama because they really do have good explaintions for stability when they play with Time. Then, again, the writers on that show are mostly math and science geeks.

I always figured that the Timeshift Stones worked as they do in the present - a stable gateway between *this time* and *this other time* - that is, when the past robots messed with them, they got a glimpse into a bleak, sand-covered future. However, being robots, they probably didn't care too much. A few of them seem to emote a little (like the Skipper), but for the most part, they were just working a job. The "Ooh, the future!" didn't have quite the same "Ooh!" for them as it would for a mortal, perhaps.

Or, perhaps they worked a little differently - subtle timeshifts within the general era that were good for work and whatever the Thunder Dragon wanted to do. Five minutes here, ten minutes there... and they only became the huge time-gap things that they did after a milleinum or two.
That's what I was thinking! heh heh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom