• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did the Oocca Get Removed from the Game Last Minute???

Hey everybody. Wanted to throw something out there and get peoples opinions.

One thing that I noticed in the GDC trailer, was during one point in the gameplay it shows Link tightroping in a dungeon (we now know this dungeon is the Sky Temple and the same temple they showed at E3). However, in the background of this scene we see a door requiring one of those strange 3D keys and a statue right next to it. The thing that stuck out to me from this scene was the fact that the upper part of the statue really looked like the outline of an Oocca, which led me to believe they would have some role in this game.

HOWEVER....I was just watching the direct feed showing that ZD just posted on the frontpage and the person playing actually reached this exact same point of the dungeon. Well, I happen to notice that the statue next to that same door is completely different. SEE PICS #1 and #2 below for comparsion.

My questions are...If the statue originally was an Oocca statue, does this mean that they may no longer play an important role in the game (if at all)? Or, was it most likely not an Oocca statue to begin with, and they developed a new design? If that is the case, then why?

ST1.jpg

ST2-1.jpg

Djinn

and Tonic
If you look, there are a couple other subtle changes like the shield meter, the lack of a wiimote image, as well as a general color change for the dungeon. The little vase with wings on it does seem like a strange addition. So it could be possible that it was a quickly made change before this demo came out. We have seen several other changes over the last year as well, like changing the Master sword seen in the E3 2010 demo to the Skyward Sword in all the current demos. Even then, I am not fully convinced that the statue is an oocca. There have been a few mistakes called from the video back in March like the Skull Kid, and that pic is still not clear enough to make a 100% judgment call on what it is.

Although, I would like to see the Oocca addressed in some way in SS. They are just so strange, that really anything that gives some small explanation on them would be welcomed. With SS showing a sky civilization existing before Hyrule and the TP stories of there being a sky civilization before Hyrule one cannot help but think there is a strong connection somewhere.

If you look, there are a couple other subtle changes like the shield meter, the lack of a wiimote image, as well as a general color change for the dungeon. The little vase with wings on it does seem like a strange addition. So it could be possible that it was a quickly made change before this demo came out. We have seen several other changes over the last year as well, like changing the Master sword seen in the E3 2010 demo to the Skyward Sword in all the current demos. Even then, I am not fully convinced that the statue is an oocca. There have been a few mistakes called from the video back in March like the Skull Kid, and that pic is still not clear enough to make a 100% judgment call on what it is.

Although, I would like to see the Oocca addressed in some way in SS. They are just so strange, that really anything that gives some small explanation on them would be welcomed. With SS showing a sky civilization existing before Hyrule and the TP stories of there being a sky civilization before Hyrule one cannot help but think there is a strong connection somewhere.

I agree 100% with everything you said. I really would like to see some connection with the Oocca as well for those same reasons, and that may have made me see an Oocca where the didn't actually exist, but like you said it's just not high enough resolution to see clearly. It just seems that even thought they weren't in TP for an extended period of time, they were obviously important to the history of Hyrule. So I just can't imagine them not having some type of role in a game like this, where the main setting is in the sky.

Yeah this is completely typical of Zelda games. WW's first trailer looked so different than the final product and I'm pretty sure they planned on having a magic meter in TP until that was removed (check the back of the game if you don't believe me). In short, there are many things that undergo change. Maybe they saw the IGN article talking about the weirdest Zelda characters of all time and saw the Oocca on there...

Con-man

Master Swordsman
That is very interesting, while I would like a little more backstory on the Oocca, overall i'm glad they aren't in the game. They just seemed so weird.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
i don't think #1 is really an Oocca. it looks to me like #2, just with the weird wings on the vase/jar inward instead of outspread. look closely and you'll see what i mean.

#1's looked like an out-of-place trophy or something. No wonder they removed it from the final dungeon rendering; it's probably just an aesthetic change for the final product (compare almost everything in both renderings; the entire room is nearly all changed) to make it crisp and more vibrant.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
I was looking at a game play demo, and when he walked passed the statue, it was some sort of statue with wings extended. Now, it looked quite the same idea of MM, and didn't someone say there were portals to Skyloft and other areas? Or maybe it's a certain save location. Anyways, I believed perhaps the first picture it has wings in, giving it a different appearance, and when you hit it, the it changes it's wings and extended itself.
lllllllllllllllllllllllllll.jpg

So I don't believe it was related to Oocco at all.

Last edited:

ShaneOMac713

The Seal has been Broken
I think that it doesn't matter if the Oocca is in the game or not most of the time when Oocca is in the game it is not like it is a big help to the game

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
it has been confirmed that the statues you are mentioning (the Oocca looking statues) are save statues which saves the game and allows you to return to Skyloft.

lllllllllllllllllllllllllll.jpg

I hope this cleared any confusion... ^^

~Z

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom