• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did the Interlopers come from Termina?

Despite trying to focus on class work, and avoiding Zelda until the new game is in my hand, I had a theory come to mind, and I don't recall anyone talking about it.

The Masked Followers, (from Lorule, A Link Between Worlds) wear masks, to a religious point, and talk about turning into monsters. Add in the theory that Lorule and Termina are part of the same world.

The citizens living in Termina are heavily involved with masks. It is more than just a game mechanic. The people acknowledge the masks, some give masks, and some use masks. Masks are very important to these people. We also know about at least one definitive opening between Termina and the realm of Hyrule. Some have theorized that the stone tower is another one. The causal connection between Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess is stronger than some of the other games, suggesting that the actions of the Hero of Time, in Termina, led to the events in Twilight Princess.

The Twili have a thing for wearing masks, and at this point I think you can see where I am going with this, but there is more. The term "interlopers" suggests that the people were from somewhere else; other than Hyrule. The Twili seem awfully comfortable with the idea of being turned into monsters. I do not think this goes against the theory that the Sheikah were involved with the making of the Fused Shadow. I think it makes the idea stronger, especially if the theory that the Happy Mask Salesman being a Sheikah, or part of a Yiga like splinter group. It makes since that people from the Sheikah tribe would be interested in the power of Majora's Mask, especially if it were a splinter group, wanting to weaponize the power.

So here is the narrative of the theory:

The Masked Followers were a long existing religion/cult in the realm, having chapters in Lorule, Termina, and probably in other areas across that world. This may have been before or after that world decided to get rid of their Triforce, but either way, over time, the people found out that there was another, in another realm. They found ways to bridge the gap, and make it to the realm where Hyrule resides. In one timeline, it is the royalty of Lorule that try to gain the Triforce, and it was who built the stone tower in the other timeline. Who originally built the stone tower doesn't matter as much as who made use of the now cleared, and accessible portal after Link fought against Majora's Mask. As the Masked Followers made use of the portal, they made contact with a group that splintered off from the Sheikah. Perhaps this was the Garo, who defended the lands outside of Hyrule from invaders, but now sought to take the Triforce from Hyrule, instead... Perhaps. With the new prototype weapon in hand, the Mask Salesman brought the new technology to his group. This group needed more than a broken mask, so they made a deal with the Masked Followers. Together they thought they had the power to take the Triforce. They were wrong. They failed, and were sealed together, eventually becoming the Twili.

The Masked Followers were a long existing religion/cult in the realm, having chapters in Lorule, Termina, and probably in other areas across that world. This may have been before or after that world decided to get rid of their Triforce, but either way, over time, the people found out that there was another, in another realm. They found ways to bridge the gap, and make it to the realm where Hyrule resides. In one timeline, it is the royalty of Lorule that try to gain the Triforce, and it was who built the stone tower in the other timeline. Who originally built the stone tower doesn't matter as much as who made use of the now cleared, and accessible portal after Link fought against Majora's Mask. As the Masked Followers made use of the portal, they made contact with a group that splintered off from the Sheikah. Perhaps this was the Garo, who defended the lands outside of Hyrule from invaders, but now sought to take the Triforce from Hyrule, instead... Perhaps. With the new prototype weapon in hand, the Mask Salesman brought the new technology to his group. This group needed more than a broken mask, so they made a deal with the Masked Followers. Together they thought they had the power to take the Triforce. They were wrong. They failed, and were sealed together, eventually becoming the Twili.
This is a great theory!

One thing to consider is the Masked Followers association with monsters, and Kilton's selling of monster masks. There is a demon worship/Ganon worship that is pretty consistent here, especially with Yuga and Zant.

There is also a consideration that this all takes place before Ocarina of Time, during the Minish Cap era (on the split timeline). These are the sprites representing the monsters being released from the Bound Chest.
6514.png
Pretty mask-looking with their hollow backs and rounded fronts and stylized markings, certainly nothing like the actual monsters in the game. Maybe has something to do with Vaati's resurrection, Vaati's eye iconography being used by the Sheikah and the Twili and in Termina, Wind Magic and Spirit Magic being associated with the green-ish cyan in BotW2 trailer, Twili architecture, and soul water in the Shadow Temple and Beneath the Well.

I personally think that the Interlopers originated in Hyrule, found a portal in the desert (the one that connects to Twinmold), and invaded from there, establishing much of the mask culture in Termina. Then the Sheikah under the command of the royal army, maybe during the Hyrulean Civil War, formed the Garo to fight them (and the Ikanians that harbored them), sealed them with the mirror, and continued the main war with Twinrova and eventually Ganondorf. But having them originate in Termina/Lorule, invade Hyrule, and then get sealed and become the Twili works as well, and connects much better to the Masked Followers in Lorule.

Attachments

• 6514.png
    6514.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 1
I personally think that the Interlopers originated in Hyrule, found a portal in the desert (the one that connects to Twinmold), and invaded from there, establishing much of the mask culture in Termina. Then the Sheikah under the command of the royal army, maybe during the Hyrulean Civil War, formed the Garo to fight them (and the Ikanians that harbored them), sealed them with the mirror, and continued the main war with Twinrova and eventually Ganondorf.

This isn't a bad fit for the Garo perspective of the events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom