• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did Skyward Sword Become Your New Favorite Zelda?

As of right now my answer is no. I'm about four hours into the game and so far I'm finding the game to be kind of boring. The beginning of the game is too long and should have been shorting. Hopefully my feelings towards the game will change as I continue to play through it, but so far I'm not that happy with the game.

If Skyward Sword had been more difficult, had less talking, then maybe I would make it my favorite. Sadly I still rate Ocarina of Time above Skyward Sword just because Ocarina of Time didnt really have as much flaws I could point out as Skyward Sword does.

I thought and hoped it would top my list as my favorite, but it fell short. While the controls, for the most part, are a step up from TP however the story isn't. It felt linear, repetitve (more so than any other Zelda title) with the fetch quests, especially the tadtones. And yes the graphics....I was more reminded of Mario Sunshine than anything...not sure why though. With a lack of a decent story and some shoddy game play mechanics, the graphics didn't help overcome the cons. As in Wind Waker, I don't like the look at all but the story and gameplay make up for that. In TP, the graphics help over come some of its flaws.

Im not saying SS is a bad game, it has its moments and pros but I think Nintendo went backwards this time. Having waited 5 years for this game, I felt disappointed. I believe they spent too much on trying to make the motion controls the focus of the game and even then it was still lacking.

So I give my top 5 list as:

1. Twilight Princess
2. Ocarina of Time
3. Wind Waker
4. Skyward Sword
5. Majora's Mask

shaymin1

Derp.
Its not my absolute favourite but it is one of my favourites. My top three are now:
1.Wind Waker
2. Skyward Sword
3. Majoras Mask/Ocarina of time

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
I just finished SS, and would have a hard time doing a favorites lists to rank the games I liked the most, as all the Zelda titles have their pros and cons, things I loved and hated, ect. Also, it's hard to judge from a single playthrough; second and third runs can offer different perspectives. As far as SS goes, throughout my whole first playthrough, I just remember thinking multiple times, 'this game is beautiful,' which was isn't a common reaction for me. Sure, there were flaws, things that could have been expanded more, and it takes a while for the story to get to a good pace in the beginning, but SS is the first game experience in a while that really, really absorbed me, through the combat, the environments, the music, and the story. It hit me very emotionally, there were nuances and subtleties I enjoyed noticing. There were game and plot elements I had been hoping for that made it into the game, like running into bosses outside of dungeons and a support system of friends for Link (that aren't little kids). I really didn't find much issue with the motion controls besides a need to re-calibrate once in a while. I think it was utilized to its best ability and I loved it; so much better than the wrist-waggling in TP. All this considered, yes, I think I can call it one of my favorites.

Not to mention, this is the first major release for the series since I've been an active member of the Zelda fanbase community. I almost never pay attention to release dates and hype for new games of any series, but SS was an exception. I wasn't expecting a perfect game, since that's kind of impossible, but there was something immensely satisfying about following the development, making predictions, excitedly counting down, and finally getting your hands on the game and playing and discovering for yourself. I realize that that process has nothing to do with the game itself :P but, personally, it wrapped up my experience nicely.

And, in all honesty, I'm a total hypocrite. I jumped on the Grumpy and Disappointed Bandwagon when SS's E3 trailer first showed, and complained, in detail, about things we were seeing in the trailers that I actually came to really appreciate in-game. It kind of taught me a typical "don't judge a book by it's cover" kind of lesson.

To me SS is the worst 3d/home console Zelda, even when it referenced other classic Zelda games and in some cases flat out stole from them it never felt like a fitting tribute it just felt like it couldn't think for itself and had to mesh everything that had come before. The cutscenes were good but the story didn't deliver on the answers we wanted.

I agree with Fierce_Deity, Nintendo definitely went backwards on SS, it wasn't a great way to say happy 25th birthday... OoT 3d and the concerts however... =]

My top 5

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Majora's Mask
3. Wind Waker
4. A Link to the Past
5. Twilight Princess

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
I cant really decide just yet...I finished it, but I think after I play it a second time, then I can make a fair decision. Lots of little things bothered me about it, and then again I liked alot of things about it too. I just dont know D: Dont judge me! >.< :(

Din'sFlame

Sizzlin'
I finished Skyward Sword an hour ago, and yes, it is defiantly my favorite Zelda game. At first it was only my second favorite, but it just kept getting better and better, so now its my favorite game thus far.

G

GibdoMaster64

Naaa.... Majoras Mask will ALWAYS be my favorite Zelda game.

TNinja

Of the Gorons
i don't really know, for me, the cutscenes make me want to fall in love with the game, but i'm not so sure if it could beat out OoT for content. The gameplay is better, but sometimes i just want to go back to the simple sword slashes on my N64 controller

Yeah, Skyward Sword is my current favorite Zelda game. I was pretty much certain of that when I completed the Lanayru Mining Facility, actually. It's got flaws, and I honestly would not say it's a better game than Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask, but it is way up there and it's my personal favorite because of how just unrelentingly fun it is. I enjoy playing the game, just running around and enjoying the gameplay, as well as the beautiful music and great dialogue. I can't say it's not my favorite when I have so much more fun with it than other games. :)

J

Jallyward

yes this is now my favourite because of the open world much bigger than ocarina of time

yes this is now my favourite because of the open world much bigger than ocarina of time
I get you about the cool overworld, but is it really that open? Arguably The Sky is open, but I'm not sure how easy a point that is to make considering how there's nothing to do in it; I don't know if aimless open space really counts as an open overworld. Additionally, the surface regions can be fairly linear.

Skyward Sword is in my top list. Somehow, the game was so amazing for me, that I couldn't play another game in two weeks! For me, it was pretty much the best Zelda Ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom