• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Did Nintendo Abandon Splatoon 2 Too Quickly?

Splatoon 2 just had a Special Splatfest this weekend, and it was a blast seeing so many people online. I had a few friends on my friends list who hadn't played in months return to splatting.

But it was only a one time thing.

I feel like Nintendo abandoned Splatoon 2 way too quickly. It got two years of support, which is longer than the original Splatoon, including an extra campaign, but for a Top 10 selling Switch game, it's weird how Nintendo offers no major new updates anymore.

I feel like Nintendo is too afraid to show support to anything that's not Smash. And it's not even Nintendo themselves working hard on Smash but Sakurai and his team.

So everything developed in-house at Nintendo's EAD studios gets 2 years support max. And that's if they're lucky. Super Mario Maker 2 got its last major update last month, and it isn't even a year old.

Anyhow, Splatoon 2 is a best seller with an active community so it makes sense to continue adding more free content, such as bringing back old Splatfests and adding new maps, as well as more paid DLC. I think Nintendo only dipped their toes into paid DLC for the franchise but I am sure super fans would gladly buy either another campaign or something entirely new.

Thoughts? Did Nintendo move on from Splatoom 2 too quickly or did it get enough time in the spotlight?

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
They definitely moved on too quickly, unless we're getting a Splatoon 3 which is highly unlikely I feel. Nintendo knows they'll do fine with sales so no need to put it "unnecessary" effort.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Ohhh fudge I forgot about that dang it :( I really wanted to do the Splatfest but I spent so much time on Animal Crossing. Yes I think they did without having something for us to move on to like a single player game in the same world.

I don't think so, they supported it for a lot longer than EA, and Activision support their games and gave it more content with the Octo Expansion.

I heard that they even extended support by six months on top of their initial plan.

ARMS however....

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Nah, I'd say we were lucky to get as much content as we did. Two years of free content updates in addition to a paid second campaign is more support than a majority of games get. As much as I love the game, the devs needed to move on and I think they chose the right time to do it. Splatoon will be back another time.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It seems like Splatoon 2 received a fair amount of support. And while the Splatfests may be over, the multiplayer will still be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom