• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Did Majora's Mask Need More Dungeons?

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I define a dungeon as either one that gives you a heart container at the end, or the final level with the boss in it.

The meat of a game is the dungeon. The side quests are the skin. You should have more skin than meat. But Majora's Mask was definitely lacking in meat. Needed more. They could have waited one measly year and it would have been on the Gamecube. And by then they could have beefed up the number of levels.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I define a dungeon as either one that gives you a heart container at the end, or the final level with the boss in it.

The meat of a game is the dungeon. The side quests are the skin. You should have more skin than meat. But Majora's Mask was definitely lacking in meat. Needed more. They could have waited one measly year and it would have been on the Gamecube. And by then they could have beefed up the number of levels.

The problems with that are the creation of a new engine which would take at least 3 years if you count what happened to OOT's engine.
Then there would be the making of character models and such and the enviroments and they would have to get used to the technology.
Although if that did happen, then MM would take WW place as the GCN's first Zelda and WW would probably be in TP's place right now.

MajoraKing12

Perfect Harmony
There really isn't many dungeons. If you think about it with all the other sidequests or call them what you like but when your not in the dungeons you have to differrent stuff just to get to the other dungeons. And of course to get all of the masks if you really wanted the Fierce Deity mask. I've also heard that it's hard to get past the Anju and Kafei because you have to do so many things in so many different times? But I think it's about the length as the usely legend of zelda game maybe.

It didn't need them, since it is already an excellent game, but, I don't think it would have done wrong to the game, to have a few more dungeons.

I think there should've been at least 2 more dungeons in MM. To make it a solid game. Add more hearts, bosses, and storyline.

More Heart pieces? The lack of dungeons made less heart containers and actually a lot of heart pieces in order to reach the amount you are used to have. I actually disagree in not consider this a solid game.

I've would liked to have more bosses though, I agree in that, after all it was fun to be able to battle them over and over, hahah.

But I won't go as far as say that Majoras Mask needed them. I actually like they broke the habit/paradigm and focused in other stuff instead.

H

Hero0fTimeLink

I think he may have been saying adding the two dungeons would results in more hearts, bosses, and storyline.

Although I agree, the game didn't really need more story.
The game had enough story.They added most of the characters in Hyrule Market and other towns from OoT and gave then storys...like Sakon in OoT if you talk to him hes just running around Hyrule Market saying I'm late I'm late for a date.....am i suppose to care o_O?But they put him in a sidequest actully giving him a meaning

I think it would be great to have more, but having more would mean less sidequests memory wise, it is also great that there is heaps of heart pieces (54 if memory serves), and the ability to get many before the first dungeon. I also would have liked it if it was possible to completly stuff up a dungeon to make it impossible to finish, as the 3 day limit would not force you to restart the game.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
MM was one of the first games I beat and honestly, I think it's fine just the way it is. The way that it had only four, maybe five, dungeons was fine to me. (Although at the same time, I wouldn't mind it to have at least one more just for fun. :) ) The sidequests and the mask searching, to me, took up the lack of there not being more dungeons in the game.

A

Abyss Master

Oh it definitely needed more dungeons. Four is just not going to cut it. Stone Tower was pretty awesome, but Snowfall and Great Bay were both "ehh" and Woodfall was decent at best. I applaud the vast array of side-content, but it's perhaps too much. It outweighs the actual main storyline so much that Majora's Mask is often described as a sidequest in itself. Imagine a Majora's Mask with a vast array of dungeons and the kind of inbetween quests we saw partially in MM and TP. It would have been awesooooome.

T

Twilight Mask

I agree, 1 or 2 more would have been an improvement, but the side quests made it a game of it's own. I particularly enjoyed the Anju and Kafei quest.

Megamannt125

Blue Link
Well MM is already a pretty big game, if you play the game 100% it is longer than most Zelda games, possibly the longest.
I'm not sure if they could even fit another dungeon into the game.
I would've liked a final dungeon though instead of just going straight for Majora.

A

Abyss Master

Well MM is already a pretty big game, if you play the game 100% it is longer than most Zelda games, possibly the longest.
I'm not sure if they could even fit another dungeon into the game.
I would've liked a final dungeon though instead of just going straight for Majora.

To be honest 100% on MM is nothing compared to 100% on OoT, WW or TP. The dungeons aren't particularly long either.

Yes, it definitely would've benefited from more dungeons. Of course, it's still a good game, but I'm not the type of person that likes to spend the whole game doing mostly side-quests because there was a lack of main dungeons in the story. But, I don't think the goal of Majora's Mask was to create a super-long game with as many dungeons as OoT. I think MM's main purpose was to experiment with elements that couldn't be put in OoT, and to see if the Legend of Zelda series could survive a turn to the darker side. It fulfilled that purpose beautifully for me, so I can certainly excuse the lack of dungeons that it had.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom