• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Did Link Die?

Recently, I was talking to brother about MM, and he said that he thought when Link fell down the hole in the beginning of the game, he really died and Terminus is,well, an afterlife. What do you guys that of that idea?

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
He probably got it from the popular video from GameTheories.

GameTheories also has other videos like "Why Mario is a communist", so keep in mind the jokey nature of it. As for Link's death in Majora's Mask, if he dies, he dies metaphorically. It's not officially recognized in the storyline of the series as death and I doubt that was Aunoma's intention with the game, but it can be percieved that way.

Actually, the dead theory no longer valid as Hyrule Historia confirms that TP Link is Oot/MM Link's descendant. Therefore MM Link would have to have lived long enough to have a son or daughter, thus he would have had to return to Hyrule at some point.

D

Deleted member 14134

No, I think this is just another case of fans putting more thought into the Zelda story than Nintendo.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
i swear,people will listen to anything matpat says

no,he did not die b/c of what dj twitch,he had to have had a kid in order for tp link to exist
also majoras mask was in link b/w worlds,so it clearly wasn't a dream

Who really knows? Time paradoxes are kind of hard to explain and comprehend. That's basically what MM was, a paradox.

I agree with this completely, although I would add that contradictions can come up independently from Majora's Mask's particular time mechanics...there are a lot of crazy things that happen in the Zelda universe if we judge them as events consistent with our world.

i swear,people will listen to anything matpat says

no,he did not die b/c of what dj twitch,he had to have had a kid in order for tp link to exist
also majoras mask was in link b/w worlds,so it clearly wasn't a dream

I do agree the idea was pushed by The Game Theorists' MatPat hard enough to where many people find the Link's death explanation more appealing, than if MatPat had not pushed it. And there are a couple main problems with it. First, there is the inconsistency with the existence of TP Link as DJ Twitch pointed out. Second, I would go further than The HOT and say I feel that theorizing about Majora's Mask is just so incredible that even I can't stomach some of it...people are reading way too much into this game when we could give even more time to progressive ideas for Zelda. A cool thought experiment might be to try and use material in a Zelda game to justify a crazy, ridiculous backstory.

That said, I think the Link's Dead theory is pretty well done (note that I really enjoy MatPat's videos and have watched almost all of them so I may be biased :P ). It sets up a basic enough framework for how death is incorporated through the 5 stages of grief (also, does anyone know if the treatment of this theory used this as a basis before MatPat covered it? Not sure how much of it is Game Theory's idea specifically), and uses empirical justifications for consistency of the theory. The theory is then further refined to note these observations. The existence of TP Link does run against the theory, but I don't think that invalidates the theory because it is only one observation. And an observation made well after the events (and release) of Majora's Mask, I might add. We're operating on Nintendo logic, there must exist many potential explanations for the TP Link observation. A theory based on empirical observations can only be invalidated when the number of observations invalidating overwhelm the number of observations confirming.

Last edited:

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
I always liked the idea, it kinda puts the game in a different perspective. But I don't think that is what Nintendo had planned with it.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Yeah, I saw that episode of Game Theory. It's actually a pretty neat idea. - Then again, as a fan fiction writer, I like crazy fan-ficcy theories. I've also seen, (Cracked) the theory that MM represents the Stages of Grief and is basically Link's couch-trip after dealing with the loss of Navi and/or various other massive losses in his life after the Ocarina of Time ordeal. (He lost a lot there - his childhood, gained it back-but it's not the same, lost the illusion he had of immortality/realized he wasn't a Kokiri. He became a hero, then lost that Timeline and no one knows what he did. - The poor kid made a hell of a lot of sacrifices for Hyrule and is kind of alone on it all). It makes sense to me that he might have some kind of trip to deal with it all.

Hmm... maybe the whole thing was a coma-dream from when he got knocked off Epona and knocked out? He didn't actually wake up and chase the Skull Kid, he just had a long, weird dream that helped him work through some problems?

I think those are just idle theories, though. I think the canon is that "Link went to an actual alternate world called Termina and and saved it from an evil enchanted mask and a death-moon, then came home to Hyrule, grew up, had him some kids, and one of his grandsons/great-grandsons/down the line was a goatherd who became a werewolf."

So, "Link is Dead" in Majora's Mask? - Fun idea, a great one to play around with, but I don't see how it can be canon.

No. If that were the case, then Link wouldn't have a grandson. The theory was interesting, but you have to remember that it's called a 'game theory' for a reason. That doesn't make it fact.

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
I'm not really sure about the whole "Link died" theory but I do believe that the basic setting and plot of Majora's Mask is meant to represent the five stages of grief. Although there has yet to be conclusive evidence that Link died in MM, it would seem probable if the five stages of grief theory is to be believed.

Game Theory - Is Link Dead?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1SVkysIRw

Based on the video link below, I couldn't help but realize that the whole time Majora's Mask was something different. I know it was more mature obviously, but after watching the video I never knew how true all of this was. Is Link dead, five stages? I have so many questions about this. If anyone could give me so more insight who watched this I would love to know more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom