• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors Did HW do the Zelda name proud?

Hyrule Warriors was a spin off, not made by Nintendo so the quality of the product wasn't down wholly to Nintendo. But while the Dynasty Warriors series has had its ups and downs, Hyrule Warriors has been spokn of as being the best ever DW-styled game that they have ever released.

If we say that's true and that HW is Tecmo's best DW game, does the same apply that HW is good enough for Zelda fans?

Regardless of the type of game it is and if you like it or not, did Tecmo's effort with HW do the Zelda franchise prod or is it a blight o the name?

Mido

Version 1
This is a very good question! I personally feel, as you mentioned, that Hyrule Warriors really refined the Warriors formula, and as such, gave gamers the best Warriors experience in years! (At least in terms of DW. Warriors Orochi 3 was another great game! Now, I got off on a tangent! XD) In respect to its standing as being worthy to the Zelda name in the eyes of fans, I think it is worthy. Most fans know that HW isn't trying to be what it is not, and because HW sticks to its mission as a hack-and-slash game with a decent enough story to hold it together; the game delivers, whether at a modest or high level. At its worst, HW may receive apathetic responses from Zelda fans, but as a solid video game in its own right, I would encourage fans of TLOZ to at the very least give it a chance. HW pays homage to Zelda through a decent narrative, iconic characters, and through a few small mechanics in the game like the presence of treasure chests in the outposts. So, my final verdict: Hyrule Warriors definitely lives up to the Zelda name.

David

But you called me here...
I've mentioned it to my friends in the past, and while HW was an interesting title and had some fun moments, it just doesn't say or appear Zelda enough for me.

It was the same gameplay but with different tactics over and over again with hardly little puzzle solving. It was a warrior game with lots of enemies with no AI. And I also consider the story to be more of a Zelda fanfiction than a Zelda story.

I liked the game, but it wasn't Zelda to me.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I only got to play the game once, but I enjoyed it. It was a nice call back to older games after 30 years of Zelda (yes, I know that it came out at 20, but shush). It definitely stood out, being so different, and I honestly wouldn't mind more deviations like this (as long as they're well-made, of course).

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
It was good in it's own right, for a dynasty Warriors game it was decent, as a zelda game it had nods to the series (but is not canon). Like David said, it more or less felt like a zelda fan-fiction with it's plot. I guess as a stand-alone thing it was allright, but as a Zelda game I wouldn't say it should even be compared to the canon games.

I really think Hyrule Warriors did the LoZ name proud. HW is not perfect. It is flawed. And on release I would argue that there was not $80 worth of content. But the DLC made up for this. Nintendo are showing they know how to do DLC so well. And this great DLC trend is continuing with MK8 and SSB4.

it just doesn't say or appear Zelda enough for me.

The fact people don't see this game as "Zelda enough" really is one of the flaws of the Zelda fan community. And it's exactly why MM on N64 didn't sell so well. The Zelda fans have in their mind what a Zelda game should contain. And if this is not met, they call the game "not Zelda enough" and dislike it or simply do not buy it. It makes innovation in Zelda games hard. Any great new ideas for LoZ games are seen as "not Zelda enough". But as proven with the MM3D sales, after the fact they can see how the innovation really can make a good game. The Zelda fans can't just come with an open mind and play a game for what it's worth. It has to be "Zelda enough" in their eyes to get a pass mark.

So if you want to know why series stagnate and die, this is why. People only want games that are "enough like the series" in their eyes. And because that is the same thing over and over, the developers either get tired of doing this or realise there is no more ways they can clone the existing games and changing it 5% and calling it a new game. They have to innovate, but the fans wont buy it so the series is just shelved.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I really liked HW. Im still enjoying the game to this day. No, its not like Zelda, but I think it did a great job with the license. You would think a Zelda spin-off would be kinda corny. However this game had a good story regardless of sounding like a fanfic. The combat is fun even if it is repetitive. All your favorite characters are there from lots of Zelda games. It gives you the chance too play as other Zelda characters that you would otherwise never get a chance to play as. As far as being a Dynasty Warriors game I have too admit it is the first one that I have cared enough to actually learn how to play the game.

So in the end I think this game did the franchise proud, and even if you dont agree, you have too admit a spin-off game could have been 100 times worse than this turned out. So I think no matter who you are or how you think, you have to at least agree to that!

Alldorin

Pious Goddesses believer
I think HW did great with the Zelda universe. But what really worked is that it is a "Hyrule game". Hyrule is one of the constant of the Zelda series, and although HW is not canon Zelda-wise, it set a great background for future marginal titles if there is to be some.

So in a way, yes!

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Hyrule Warriors was a spin off, not made by Nintendo so the quality of the product wasn't down wholly to Nintendo. But while the Dynasty Warriors series has had its ups and downs, Hyrule Warriors has been spokn of as being the best ever DW-styled game that they have ever released.

If we say that's true and that HW is Tecmo's best DW game, does the same apply that HW is good enough for Zelda fans?

Regardless of the type of game it is and if you like it or not, did Tecmo's effort with HW do the Zelda franchise prod or is it a blight o the name?

I find quite a few titles in the main franchise to be a blight to the name of Zelda. Hyrule warriors did the franchise prouder than some of the 'true' Zelda games.

Hyrule Warriors was a step in the right direction for both Zelda and Dynasty Warriors. Both franchises had been stagnant for quite some time before the game's release. It's nice to see a spin-off game that's as ambitious as a main Zelda game. The amount of content in Hyrule Warriors is mind-blowing. There's definitely room for a sequel with content from Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, and Zelda Wii U. Hyrule Warriors also proved that Nintendo can handle the use of a season pass correctly. The game may not be acclaimed as traditional Zelda adventures, but it shows promise for future Zelda spin-offs and online features in the franchise.

Hyrule Warriors was actually the first Dynasty Warriors game I've ever played, and I think my 100+ hours can speak for my opinion!

I think that actually played heavily to my advantage though, as I hear a lot of the characters are based heavily on existing Dynasty Warriors characters. And that is an absolutely valid criticism! But because the series was fresh to me, I was able to look past those sort of issues, and I really did have a fantastic time with the game!

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
The amount of time some people spend on it (including myself) would suggest it does. It also gave me new perspective on some characters. I absolutely love Impa and everytime I see her in a game I realize how kickass she actually is. Was it Zelda enough for me? Yes, some scenarios and some music and elements from the other games and even a wink to the 8 bit Zelda is enouh for me to give me that Zelda vibe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom