• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Did Breath of the Wild make you feel an emotional resonance?

I'm not exactly talking about story in terms of plot and emotions of characters but more so the emotions of you in particular.

C. Ganon flattened Hyrule and ruins are littered throughout the world. As a life long Zelda fan myself I did feel a sadness seeing the Temple of Time, Lon Lon Ranch and Castle Town destroyed.

I could clearly see the game was obviously aiming for an emotional reaction from people familiar with the history of the series...

But while I was a little sad the game never hit that sweet spot of true melancholy, there was loss in the world but something about BotW just didn't hit the mark for me personally.

How did BotW make you feel with the themes of loss and destruction of things we knew and loved?

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I was taken aback by the beauty of Zora's Domain and when the divine beasts were activating I felt some excitement. And I enjoyed being in a thunderstorm. But mostly my feelings whilst playing were of boredom and dissapointment. It didn't feel like a Hyrule I knew. It's not like it is similar enough to the Hyrule from TP or OOT for me to feel any sadness for the ruins that littered the place.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Not really...

1) Nobody seems to care.

2) We never got to experience or love this world of the past.

3) The ruins feel like they've been there for thousands of years, not a hundred.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
The emtional impact of the game passed me by, i felt more disconnected from the game than i did with Zelda 2, i did feel a bit of joy in seeing Zora's domain cuz it's so purty and the fact i enjoy aqueducts and water flowing artfully probs helped with that but the world felt and still feels empty, at some point you just look at it and think "what's the point of such a large world" We never saw this variant of hyrule in all it's glory and so we only know this.....shell? of a world and it's horrible yes but at the same time this is all we see even in the flashbacks it just looks the same as if the world never developed in 10k years

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I absolutely felt an emotional impact. It was very hard not to. Coming upon the desolation of Castle Town really hit me hard, but what got to me even more than that was seeing all the ruined Guardians all over the world. It was a clear sign of just how far the Great Calamity spread and how much land it devastated. The scattered Guardians in Hebra and the Gerudo Highlands really makes you feel like nowhere in the kingdom was safe. Plus, with ruins around every corner of the world, you can easily picture how much life was lost and how many people had to pick up and move on. You come up on lots of villages and homes that are just burnt husks, empty of anything alive except the monsters that now overrun them. It really drives home the point of Hyrule being a dead kingdom. Its glory days are long gone, and it's nothing but a shadow of its former self. But what I really appreciate even more is that despite all that, even among all that ruin, there are people who can still keep on living in Hyrule. People gather around the Stables, they huddle in their villages, and they try their best to survive each day surrounded by death and ruins. I feel this every time I start up the game, and it's one of the many things that really makes me love this game to death.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Coming upon the desolation of Castle Town really hit me hard,

Why? What made it different from any other ruin? The only reason it did in OoT is because I had been there before, I had seen the lively town, all the people and so on, but with BOTW it was just another set of ruins.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Why? What made it different from any other ruin? The only reason it did in OoT is because I had been there before, I had seen the lively town, all the people and so on, but with BOTW it was just another set of ruins.
Because it’s more destroyed than anywhere else in the kingdom. It’s quite literally flattened almost beyond all recognition. Even among the other ruins in the world, there are some walls still standing and you can kind of tell what they used to be, but Castle Town has almost nothing like that. Every single building is just... gone. Everything is covered in giant pools of malice and there are Guardians littering the streets. It’s really hard to imagine the number of survivors being counted on more than one hand.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
The Akkala region made me feel because the perpetual autumn reminded me of Oracle of Seasons. I could feel the emotions of Link, Zelda, and Mipha through their animations, voices, and interactions. Not much beyond that though. I will grow more nostalgic about this game throughout the years and it will have more emotional resonance with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom